Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276109 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #420 on: 22:57:14, 16/10/17 »
I'm in Spain at the moment and have used the app Wikilocs every day. Such an easy way to find a hike every day. I think a few residents here (Calpe) spend a lot of their time doing the initial walk for which I for one am very great full.

Did a few expeds there every November with one of the units I was in. I remember one walk that went over a pass in the Bernia ridge and then came back through the ridge via a cave. Is it still there? Have you done it?

Edit: just googled it. I think it is called the Forat de la Sierra de Bernia
« Last Edit: 23:07:35, 16/10/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

walkingthedog

« Reply #421 on: 14:18:16, 17/10/17 »
This week I will be hiking from Alston down over Langden beck and over to High Force in Middleton Teesdale. Looking forward to blowing the cobwebs off. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #422 on: 19:31:45, 19/10/17 »
I have not done that Spanish walk, walked a few over the years but when here I prefer to cycle.

This will be our very last time in Calpe, the family has had a house out here for 34 years. If  could go back in time I would never do it again, only good if you like replacing one home for another, it can be for people like me, become a real bore. Just like being at home but in a different place. I stopped coming after 7 or 8 years but my wife, mother in law and other family continued to make the journey. It's only in the last 5 years I started coming again when my mother in law became too frail to do it any more. It was being used less and less, Last year it was only occupied for four weeks and that was by my wife and I.

We have just sold it, (cheaply) so this is our very last night here. At the moment I am down the Irish Bar having my very last pint or two of Murphy's. I'm really pleased that it's gone, Calpe was small but it's turned into a much bigger place. The countryside has been raped with urban sprawl and loads of high rise blocks of flats now thrust up into the sky. Very ugly!

At least we have sold it to a Spanish family, that makes me feel good.

I'm only writing this because as usual football is on the telly and I can't here myself think.

Lazar

« Reply #423 on: 00:43:07, 20/10/17 »
I have just finished the Sandstone trail and really enjoyed it did it over 2 days.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #424 on: 13:47:13, 20/10/17 »
I have just finished the Sandstone trail and really enjoyed it did it over 2 days.

Great walk isn't it, there ought to be a Shropshire extension. The geology is there, just selfish landowners hogging the terrain >:( . It continues from Grindley Brook, through Brown Moss to Hawkstone, then cutting back across Lee Brockhurst-Grinsill-Myddle-The Cliffe-Nesciffe and down to Shrewsbury passing over the sandstone outcrop that turns the River Severn south downstream from Montford Bridge.
Might be a bit more obvious as a route if the lostways that should have been put on Shropshires Definitive map were there, still need some landowners to have a more open minded attitude to sharing the countryside for the common good. :( Not much chance of that.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #425 on: 16:01:20, 26/10/17 »
Lovely walk, with MrsG, up from Postbrige to the West Dart Waterfall yesterday.  What a scorcher of a day for late October.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #426 on: 18:21:27, 26/10/17 »
All being well and man cold permitting, we will be going over and round Dunkery Beacon on Exmoor tomorrow to see if my knee is recovered.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #427 on: 19:18:54, 27/10/17 »
I walked from Shermanbury to Henfield in the Low Weald of Sussex today, taking in a beautiful lake, a very pretty stretch of the river Adur, and a section of the Downs Link.  An enjoyable walk in the autumn sunshine    :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #428 on: 19:43:08, 27/10/17 »
I took an off road road run and walk through the woods, fields and narrow roads just north of Portsmouth today, behind Portsdown Hill. Brilliantly sunny and warm, got to my usual stopping point and met a lady (I've met her before) who was busy taking photos of the local birds, ducks and anything else that moved or flew. Its her hobby and she gets there most days. After a 30 minute chat she wandered off to work and I jogged back to my car. A very, very, nice day.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #429 on: 23:31:36, 27/10/17 »
I did a nice 2 mile evening walk yesterday along the clifftop at Cloughton (that's near Scarborough, East Yorkshire for those of you that went "huh? where?"). 

It's officially been designated as part of the England Coast Path now (as well as already being part of the Cleveland Way). 

After a week of eating too much and standing around too much, this short little leg stretch was most welcome  :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #430 on: 18:44:17, 30/10/17 »
I walked on the South Downs today from the outskirts of Seaford to Exceat via High and Over and Alfriston and by the Cuckmere River.  A lovely walk in the autumn sunshine   :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #431 on: 20:19:46, 01/11/17 »
I walked in the Boarshead, Mott's Mill and Eridge area of the High Weald today, partly on the Sussex Border Path.  Very scenic and the autumn colours were gorgeous    :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #432 on: 22:11:02, 02/11/17 »
Pleasant evening walk with Mrs G, around Siblyback reservoir, today.  :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #433 on: 18:01:20, 03/11/17 »
A muddy ramble along Bretton Clough and then back over Eyam Moor yesterday afternoon. A bit of a drab walk really and not very inspiring. I'm sure the views from Eyam Moor must be excellent usually but the cloud was low yesterday and anything in the distance was hazy and greyed out.

Today we had a wander for an hour or so - from Errwood Reservoir along the old Cromford & High Peak Railway trail and back down to the reservoir via Wild Moor. Still cloudy but a much more enjoyable walk, albeit a familiar one.

We were supposed to be up in Cumbria overnight to celebrate our wedding anniversary - hiking, pub grub, Travelodge, nice lunch today on the way home - but car trouble at 6am yesterday morning put paid to that and we had to cancel all our reservations. The ensuing grumpiness might have coloured my impressions of Eyam Moor so I suppose I ought to give it another chance on a nicer day...  ;D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #434 on: 08:46:51, 04/11/17 »
A muddy ramble along Bretton Clough and then back over Eyam Moor yesterday afternoon. A bit of a drab walk really and not very inspiring......

Bretton Clough is gorgeous in Spring/early Summer.  Best time to do it, IMO O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy