Author Topic: Walking the C2C for the First Time  (Read 5924 times)

northdome

Re: Walking the C2C for the First Time
« Reply #15 on: 23:13:35, 23/09/19 »
Thanks everyone for the kind advice - we are looking forward to seeing the beauty of the UK.
I ordered a map - ready for the experience.

northdome

« Reply #16 on: 10:33:12, 24/09/19 »
Hello again...
Wanted to see which weather site you have found to be most reliable..I am fully aware that weather will do what it wishes and change very quickly but thought I would see which site the forum recommends.

Thank you

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:41:26, 24/09/19 »
Met Office for general overview,

https://www.mwis.org.uk/ for detailed mountain weather.

Edit - wish that I hadn't bothered looking - fog and rain in Kirkwall for the next 3 days  :(
« Last Edit: 10:51:27, 24/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

northdome

« Reply #18 on: 10:56:18, 24/09/19 »
Appreciate the links...thank you.

Sorry about your weather ☹️

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:22:35, 24/09/19 »
Used to it living up here.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:16:20, 24/09/19 »
You should also know that the UK is one of the few countries in the world that has proper weather.  Most poor souls have to make do with a climate.  That's why we like talking about it - such variety.  I did not realise this until an Egyptian I was sharing a laboratory with in Lancaster pointed out that so far that day, it had rained three times, snowed twice and the sun had been out several times too and there it was, 10:30 am already.  None of us had really noticed - we just called it February.
See also https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/national-parks-forecasts/lake-district#?tab=nationalParksMap&map=Summits&zoom=10&lon=-3.08&lat=54.48
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:40:40, 24/09/19 »
Our UK weather, yes. How many other places in the world have a mountain of only 4,400 ft with permanent all year round snow on its summit? Any apart from extreme North and South?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:03:39, 27/09/19 »
Hi Northdome and welcome from Liverpool.

I hope you enjoy the C2C.  I walked it in May this year and was incredibly lucky with the weather, and, with the exception of the boredom of the Vale of Mowbray part it's a lovely route.  I can recommend the Harvey maps, (I got mine from Amazon), though I did plan the route on our OS app, using the Harveys, and then used the phone for on the day navigation - personal preference.

As others have said, the Lake District leg has no signs at all, and the area above Greenup Edge can be difficult to navigate in poor weather - I have directed quite a few of your compatriots over the years up there!  Further on there are some areas which use the small "AW" badges on stiles and gates etc, and, as others have said, there are some signs where there are different routes for different seasons. 

Deolman

« Reply #23 on: 17:47:52, 27/09/19 »
As I understand it sign posting in the Lake District is poor because of restrictions by the National Park Authority. Once out of the Lake District signage is pretty good.

northdome

Hi,
I was not intending so much time to pass before I checked back with the forum to let you all know how great our walk was. Forums are such a great resource and we use them often; I always appreciate a circle back from someone who has used the forum for information and tips.

We started in St Bees on Sept. 30th and walked into Robin Hood Bay on Oct 18th - we took our time and enjoyed every minute (almost every minute).
Took two days off along the way to let some weather roll through and also to just enjoy the time in one spot.

People were great, stayed in pubs, YHA's and some B&B's. Loved seeing England on foot and will not forget the experience. Sorry it took me so long to thank you all for the tips and advise.

Cheers!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:32:54, 15/01/20 »
Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for letting us know.  I'm starting my second one on 5th March, after my first one ended on Day 2.  Hoping to complete it this time!
Where there's a will ...

titch22

« Reply #26 on: 19:05:14, 10/02/20 »
Facebook 'Coast to Coast walk' is very informative and supportive.
Its a really good question about the signs as a trio from south Korea pulled out in the Lakes after difficulties with finding the right path. They thought it would be like the Camino that they'd done, which is very well signposted. My tip..take special care at Greenup Edge to find the right path.

Oops..just seen that you've done it already. (But don't know how to delete my post.)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:32:29, 10/02/20 »
Not sure if that is aimed at me?  Personally taking the wrong track at Greenup Edge, which is effectively a cross roads where you go straight on, is far less likely than many other places  O0
Where there's a will ...

titch22

« Reply #28 on: 19:36:29, 10/02/20 »
Just speaking from experience in bad weather with poor visibility. When five walkers in different groups, had difficulties.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:41:51, 10/02/20 »
Well I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that there are other places where going wrong is way more likely.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy