Author Topic: Compact camera questions  (Read 1994 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Compact camera questions
« on: 10:40:48, 25/04/20 »
Looking for a compact camera with interchangeable lenses, video capability as well as still, fairly weatherproofish, any ideas/suggestions as to what's out there at the moment?

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Compact camera questions
« Reply #1 on: 11:46:13, 25/04/20 »
There are a wide range of smaller interchangeable lens cameras around. It really depends on what you want to photograph and what your budget is. Most of the major camera manufacturers have mirrorless SLRs now, but they and their lenses can be pricy.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:54:11, 25/04/20 »
A friend of mine took his daughter to see Gorillas in the wild and wanted a similar spec camera to capture all the wildlife.

After lots of advice and trying cameras he decided on a Sony A6000, and was really happy with his choice.

They had an amazing holiday!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:33:17, 25/04/20 »
I have a Canon M50 mirrorless, which I like but so far the range of lenses is quite limited. I think they're concentrating on the higher spec EOS R range which are eyewatering expensive.

The M50 is light and compact, and has produced some good results. I don't do video but I've read that vloggers really rate it.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:43:46, 25/04/20 »
There are a wide range of smaller interchangeable lens cameras around. It really depends on what you want to photograph and what your budget is. Most of the major camera manufacturers have mirrorless SLRs now, but they and their lenses can be pricy.
It's to take with me on my walks, city trips etc  Basically a compactish travel camera with ability for various focal lengths, high res video and something that is a hell of a lot lighter and more compact than my D200 and various lenses.   

Budget of up to £1k for camera + couple of lenses (any more and I think the wife will tell me I have to buy it myself ;) ).

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:24:23, 26/04/20 »
I have a Sony A6000, which is quite old now but Sony have kept selling it alongside newer cameras as a lower price option. You can get one new for about £390 without a lens or £450 with the 16-50mm lens (try camerapricebuster.co.uk to find the best deals). The 16-50mm lens isn't greatly rated but it's probably worth £60 to get you started with the camera.

Then for other lenses I would go second hand from places like Wex Photographic, Park Cameras and MPB (or your local independent camera shop). The 24mm/1.8 (which Wex currently have examples of for around £400) is a fantastic sharp lens, great for low light situations, and the equivalent in field of view to a 35mm lens on a full frame camera, which is a good versatile length for street photography and landscape photography. Before that I used the 35/1.8 lens (50mm equivalent) a lot but I found it a bit too tight in many situations.

I've also got the Sony 18-135mm lens, which is versatile but as a travel zoom is obviously a trade off, versatility in one lens vs quality. The uncorrected RAW files show how much it relies on software correction. MPB have got one for £384.
The other option I might consider if I wanted to take photos in cities and the countryside is the 10-18mm wide angle zoom. I've seen mixed reviews, some people seem to get great lenses, others have faults, and for now I've stuck with using the wide angle zoom on my FF DSLR. Can be had for around £375 second hand.
Getting all three would take you well over your limit but I tend to buy a lens, get used to it, then buy another later.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:32:42, 26/04/20 »
Just to add, I've had a look at the equivalent in the Canon M range and brand new you could get an M6+18-150mm lens, an 11-22mm lens and a 22mm pancake lens (equivalent to putting a 24mm lens on a Sony because Canon uses a slightly different sized sensor) for under £1150. Go second hand with the extra lenses and you might get in under your budget. I haven't used the Canon cameras but if you were sure that a travel zoom lens, a wide angle lens and a fast 35mm equivalent would suit you forever I'd take a close look at it. There's a wide range of lenses available for the Sony but if you're not going to buy them and the Canon suits your needs it might be better value.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:15:03, 26/04/20 »
I had a Sony Alpha when they first came out.
One splash of water and I didn't have a working Sony Alpha.

Got a Pentax K20 after that, lasted well, reasonable seals on it (was part of the marketing campaign).
It survived me falling on it so hard that it broke my pelvis.
Pentax don't exist anymore.
Lasted until this year, so about 12 years and over 10,000 shots.

Not sure what to get now.
I was always a fan of FujiFilm, but not sure if they are still using their own unique sensor design or not.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:17:19, 27/04/20 »
I have a Sony A6000, which is quite old now but Sony have kept selling it alongside newer cameras as a lower price option. You can get one new for about £390 without a lens or £450 with the 16-50mm lens (try camerapricebuster.co.uk to find the best deals). The 16-50mm lens isn't greatly rated but it's probably worth £60 to get you started with the camera.

Then for other lenses I would go second hand from places like Wex Photographic, Park Cameras and MPB (or your local independent camera shop). The 24mm/1.8 (which Wex currently have examples of for around £400) is a fantastic sharp lens, great for low light situations, and the equivalent in field of view to a 35mm lens on a full frame camera, which is a good versatile length for street photography and landscape photography. Before that I used the 35/1.8 lens (50mm equivalent) a lot but I found it a bit too tight in many situations.

I've also got the Sony 18-135mm lens, which is versatile but as a travel zoom is obviously a trade off, versatility in one lens vs quality. The uncorrected RAW files show how much it relies on software correction. MPB have got one for £384.
The other option I might consider if I wanted to take photos in cities and the countryside is the 10-18mm wide angle zoom. I've seen mixed reviews, some people seem to get great lenses, others have faults, and for now I've stuck with using the wide angle zoom on my FF DSLR. Can be had for around £375 second hand.
Getting all three would take you well over your limit but I tend to buy a lens, get used to it, then buy another later.

I've passed on your info, re lenses to friend who recently bought the camera, he sends his thanks.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:32:19, 27/04/20 »

I've passed on your info, re lenses to friend who recently bought the camera, he sends his thanks.
Glad to be of help.
By the way, for the original poster, I was looking at an article on the DP Review site about which A6X00 camera to buy and they said.the A6100 is worth the extra over the A6000. Neither is weather sealed, you have to go up in the range even to get anything water and dust resistant.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:56:27, 27/04/20 »
Thanks for all the replies - the jury is still out deliberating.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy