Author Topic: Austria-suggestions?  (Read 1180 times)

Pitboot

Austria-suggestions?
« on: 14:41:42, 29/09/19 »
I'll try again for some recommendations for walking in Austria. We will be flying to Vienna, that's just the way it turned out because of our holiday allowance. I would have liked Innsbruck or Salzburg but the flights were not available or convenient.

So can anyone recommend a good walking area within 100 km of  Vienna? Don't mind a train trip of a few hours, and I'm not keen on hiring a car. We land on Nov 6th. Ideally a central base with access to ski lifts to take us up to good routes in the mountains.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Austria-suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:41, 29/09/19 »
Vienna is at the flat end of Austria. The ski areas and mountains are further west and will be more than 100 km away. Could you get a train from Vienna to the Innsbruck area? It looks like you could get a return ticket from about £55 per person and the journey time is about 4 hours 15 minutes. There appear to be frequent trains. There would obviously be other options. Salzburg is closer to Vienna than Innsbruck.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:13:28, 29/09/19 »
And a bus or tram will take you straight up to Neustift in the Stubaital.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #3 on: 15:33:42, 29/09/19 »
Yes, thanks. Only staying overnight and into the next morning in Vienna, then we could go to Salzburg, which seems to have ample opportunities.
I assume that the trains are Germanically efficient.
So, which are the best centres reachable from Salzburg? Don't mind a connecting train.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:29:14, 29/09/19 »
Saalbach Hinterglemm is a great valley to operate from.  Lots of ridge walks and depending on the time of year, the lifts run to take walkers up.  One pass covers all lifts and the valley bus.  The Pinzgauer Spaziergang from the top Schattberg Express to the top of the Schmittenhohe above Zell am See is a good day walk along ridges (apart from the last bit up to the cable car station at the end).  Take train to Zell am See and bus from there or use Zell am See itself.
There are good walks on the mountain just SW of Salzburg, the Untersberg.  There is a good ice cave on the S face on the way down to Berchtesgarten.
From Salzburg it is a relatively short step to Berchtesgarten in Germany, good walking and loads of history too if you are into WW2. e.g, http://www.kehlsteinhaus.com/
To be honest the whole area is stiff with walks and mostly well way marked even if the walking times can be way off, either + or -.

Edit:  I just looked up the walk I did on the Untersberg.  It is called the Thomas-Eder-Steig and falls into the not to be missed category https://regio.outdooractive.com/oar-bgl/de/tour/bergtour/thomas-eder-steig-untersberg/4010986/#dm=1  or https://www.komoot.com/highlight/169397
« Last Edit: 16:56:27, 29/09/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:09:58, 29/09/19 »
We have stayed near Berchtesgaden, in Ramsau ( the German one, not to be confused with Ramsau in Austria!) There was lots of good walking round there, but I don’t recall using any chairlifts. We flew to Salzburg and hired a car, but it would have been easy to get around by bus. If I remember rightly we got free or very cheap local bus travel with a guest card.

Pitboot

« Reply #6 on: 23:42:29, 29/09/19 »
Great, thanks folks. Plenty to look at there!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy