Author Topic: sweating feet in boots  (Read 13870 times)

Bulldog

sweating feet in boots
« on: 22:37:03, 18/12/11 »
I work in a oil field in extremely cold weather. I wear a pair of Baffin boots, and I have to wear them for 14 hours straight. My feet sweat profusely to the point that my feet feel like they are swimming in my boots. To try and keep my feet dry I use a regular 100% cotton sock directly on my skin, then another 100% cotton thermal sock over that. My feet don't necessarily get hot, but because there is no breathing in the boot my feet sweat through both socks. When I take off the boots, both socks are soaked and my feet are wet and wrinkley. I've been told to use 100% cotton socks, and that's not workin out, so what kind of socks are the best for keeping feet dry?

I just want my feet warm and dry, is that just too much to ask for?

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: sweating feet in boots
« Reply #1 on: 23:23:00, 18/12/11 »
In my opinion cotton is the worst fabric to use, it just soaks up any dampness. For walking I use two layers of Bridgedale socks, a liner pair and then an outer pair of which there are various weights. Here is one example, go back to "products" to look for others. You will see that cotton is not used at all.
http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Product.asp?ProductID=8
They have some winter sports socks which I reckon would be best for you to try. Again I would use a liner sock with them.
http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Product.asp?ProductID=45

There products are second to non and you will find them in all outdoor/walking gear shops.

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:57:14, 19/12/11 »
For walking I use two layers of Bridgedale socks, a liner pair and then an outer pair of which there are various weights.

Same here. Never had a problem with feet feeling too cold or too hot. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:57:36, 19/12/11 »
I'll second dellwalkers reply.

Sadly, work boots, or shoes, don't often lend themselves to being foot friendly, because the only criteria they need to meet, are cost effective and as part of an operators personal protection.

You can get work boots, and shoes, at a cost, that are great for your feet. I did once, but my employer wouldn't let me wear them, because they hadn't been approved by our safety dept.

I ear the same type of walking sock in my work boots, that I wear while wearing my Scarpa SL boots. It does make a difference, though the socks do wear out quick on the toes. But that is because of the hardened toe cap of my work boots.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:11:41, 19/12/11 »
I sweat profusely.In summer I spray my feet with an odourless deodorant which helps a lot.

Tardyrover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:31:35, 19/12/11 »
Rubber boots are bound to make your feet sweat, so woolen socks might help and maybe change them halfway through the day. Deffo avoid cotton though! Good luck  O0

oliviahuffman

« Reply #6 on: 10:48:44, 18/08/19 »
nice sharing i recommend you to use sweat free athletic socks

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:14:25, 18/08/19 »
Interesting first post in an 8 year old thread where the original poster has only posted once, Olivia.
Tell us more about yourself where are you based and where do you like to go walking?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:00:59, 18/08/19 »
nice sharing i recommend you to use sweat free athletic socks
A bit random for a first post. Welcome to the board.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:15:24, 18/08/19 »
I don't normally have sweaty feet but when they need a boost I use my dry shower foam. Wonderful stuff for reviving tired feet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy