Author Topic: Ribble Way--reviving a route thread  (Read 3125 times)

staggerindragon

Ribble Way--reviving a route thread
« on: 23:38:42, 03/03/19 »
I spotted some older threads about the Ribble Way, but it doesn't look like it's come up since. (Edit--I just spotted Slogger's summer post)

I'm especially curious about the first part.  It seems really urban.  What're folks' thoughts about it?  Would you do it again? Once I get up toward Settle, it's more familiar territory.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 01:49:26, 04/03/19 by staggerindragon »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Ribble Way--reviving a route thread
« Reply #1 on: 19:02:35, 04/03/19 »
I grew up in Clitheroe. The Ribble Valley is a lovely place.

The Ribble Way is a great route for getting a taste of all sorts of things. Personally, source to sea is the way i like to do river routes, because I get a feeling of the river better. It ages as it goes.
For the Ribble, you get the dales, then it slows for the fielded countryside, before reaching the city and then the sea.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:26:59, 04/03/19 »
The bit between Preston and Longton is the dullest trudge I've ever done. Much of the rest of it is very nice. Even the bit through Preston is pleasant enough. (watch out for cyclists though - the Ribble way doubles up as the Guild wheel along the river here.)

staggerindragon

« Reply #3 on: 22:10:06, 07/03/19 »
Belated thanks.  That kind of confirms what I thought. 

I also like the north to south idea as I remember some nice views south travelling from the Malham area southbound.  I'd forgotten about that.  Very sad how many B 'n' B's and pubs have stopped doing accommodation along the way, though.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:24:22, 08/03/19 »
The bit between Preston and Longton is the dullest trudge I've ever done.
Interesting. I quite liked that bit, but then I do like salt marshes because of the birds.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

staggerindragon

« Reply #5 on: 16:17:42, 19/08/19 »
Well, source to sea was definitely a good choice. I had to hack my way through the hoardes spilling off Pen y ghent, but since then it's been lovely and quiet. I stopped to chat with a farmer, and he said the route is not well used any more.
Lots of variety so far, and a few nice surprises. I enjoyed watching the valley open up. The Settle area is not for folk who don't like cows, though. Big dairy country. I'm enjoying them, and they've been observant but relaxed.
Thanks for the nudge to get me out here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy