Author Topic: South West Coast Path - has anybody (stealth) wild camped?  (Read 5889 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
I'm thinking about walking the South West Coast Path as one long thru-hike some time in the future, camping all the way.

It is wonderful walking there (I walked some small parts of it), but of course this is a populated area. Normally I hike in more remote unpopulated areas where you can just pitch your tent and don't worry about anything, but this is all cultivated area and there are towns everywhere and loads of people (even off-season).

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has walked it and (stealth) wild camped along the way? Is it feasible (or even fun?).
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
I'm thinking about walking the South West Coast Path as one long thru-hike some time in the future, camping all the way.

It is wonderful walking there (I walked some small parts of it), but of course this is a populated area. Normally I hike in more remote unpopulated areas where you can just pitch your tent and don't worry about anything, but this is all cultivated area and there are towns everywhere and loads of people (even off-season).

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has walked it and (stealth) wild camped along the way? Is it feasible (or even fun?).
Loads of places you can wild camp along the Cornish parts.  Just stick to the usual rules and no one will bother you.
Also plenty of shops along the way.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Warbler

I'm pretty sure it can be done without too many problems.

There are lots of videos on YouTube of hikers wild camping along the way, although a lot tend to stay at the odd campsite or B&B purely for a scrub up.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Jac

• Veteran Member
You certainly can - we 'wild' camped round almost all of it and never had a problem.
Murphy's law applies, of course - the best camping spots appear around noon or earlier.
Plenty of places to pick up food so no need to carry much and if you can't afford the time to do it in one (as we couldn't) then there are lots of places to access it both by car or pubic transport.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Doddy

I walked all of it, approximately a third at a time, and wild camped 90% of it without problem. I had one skirmish with gale of wind on a cliff top and decided to avoid cliff tops in the future - a wind change during the night from off the sea to off the land was interesting.
Here when wild camping accessing fresh water, as on the Pembrokshire Coast Path, needs careful consideration. I can treat water but streams onto the beach come from stocked areas; if stock is not directly on the cliff top.
« Last Edit: 14:12:41, 01/07/20 by Doddy »

cornwallcoastpathdweller

Perfectly possible to wild camp along it all.  There was a tent right on the path just south of Mawgan Porth this morning when i did my regular 12mile route, i nearly tripped over his guylines. 
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy