Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573183 times)

The Wondering Wanderer

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2430 on: 15:41:17, 09/05/18 »
Any suggestions for a nice wooded family walk in buckinghamshire? Other than wendover woods. I'd like to go somewhere new.

Thanks in advance.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2431 on: 07:45:03, 12/05/18 »
Trainers not boots today, I am going for a walk by the Thames. Youngest Ridge has to go to Waterloo so I'm going to pick up the Thames Path and head west then either find transport to get me back or cross a bridge and return by the north bank.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2432 on: 15:49:09, 12/05/18 »
Trainers not boots today,
Well that was a mistake, got a blister now  :(

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2433 on: 19:46:53, 19/05/18 »
I walked from the Cinque Port of Winchelsea today, taking in a stretch of the River Brede and some of the 1066 Country Walk. A very enjoyable walk in beautiful lush countryside in the sunshine.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2434 on: 23:33:05, 28/05/18 »
Out with Mrs G yesterday, we walked the next little section of the South west coast path.  Tintagel to Boscastle, looping back slightly inland. Around 8 miles I think.

Then today I headed up to Melton late on, around 5pm intending to just do a quick up and back training run to Yes Tor.  It was such a perfect evening though and I was feeling good, so I ended up at Cranmeer pool doubling back to High Willhays again on my return route.  Amazing how quickly you can cover the ground this time of year.  The tussucks are still manageable with my long legs and as it bone dry up there I walked straight across the peat bogs. 3 1/2 hours out and back is something of a PB.  Not that I was racing just perfect walking conditions.

tom83

« Reply #2435 on: 15:31:49, 01/06/18 »
Just checked in to our rented house for the weekend in Thornthwaite. All boys stag do, hoping to climb Skiddaw and Saddleback tomorrow, and hopefully Scafell Pike on Sunday.

Completely dependant on alcohol consumption though.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2436 on: 20:22:38, 07/07/18 »
I walked on the South Downs near Lewes today, via the village of Glynde and the hillfort of The Caburn. This area isn't on the SDW itself and is an outlier from the main escarpment but it offers fine walking over rolling hills, with panoramic views, and there are masses of wild flowers on the chalk grassland.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2437 on: 22:40:30, 07/07/18 »
I was supposed to walk from Rye tomorrow on the Sussex Border Path but I'm having to adjust my plan due to rail repairs. Will re-plan to Monday. South of England camp site prices, aren't they expensive! All I want is a patch of grass 6' x 3', around £20 for a night is I think a bit much. I am now planning to wild camp.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2438 on: 10:35:01, 08/07/18 »
I walked on the South Downs near Lewes today, via the village of Glynde and the hillfort of The Caburn. This area isn't on the SDW itself and is an outlier from the main escarpment but it offers fine walking over rolling hills, with panoramic views, and there are masses of wild flowers on the chalk grassland.

It sounds wonderful, Dovegirl.

We walked Bretton Clough and Eyam Moor yesterday. We'd done the walk previously (last November) and found it a bit dull and muddy in the clough so we thought we'd give it another chance.

Nice views from Sir William Hill and Eyam Moor but in and around the clough wasn't much fun, having to force our way through large stretches of chest/head high bracken and hordes of flies. They weren't the biting sort but the cowpat-loving sort, landing on our faces, mouths and eyes - it was pretty unpleasant and lasted really until we reached Sir William Hill so we had a good couple of hours constantly brushing them off. Insect repellent didn't faze them at all.  :(

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2439 on: 12:52:23, 08/07/18 »
This weekend I am mainly walking up and down stepladders painting front room. Shader than being out in this heat I suppose.  Again will jog around the streets tonight to get my daily 4 miles in.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2440 on: 19:35:11, 08/07/18 »
Out early this morning for a drive up to the North of the moor.  I was hoping for a cool start, but no chance of that, must have been mid 20's by 08:00.  I was in the mood for some sheepish slopes, so I headed up from below Melton viaduct to Branscombe's Loaf. Then straight back down to the resovior and up the other side to Highwillhays.  800m of acents in short order.

Met a very knowledgeable walker on top of Yes for a had a chat for a short while.  Like many one of his favourite spots on the moor was Fur tor.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2441 on: 21:43:53, 13/07/18 »
On the early morning ferry over the Pentland Firth tomorrow; then down to Glen Nevis for a few days of family camping and walking. 11 year old son very keen to climb Ben Nevis.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2442 on: 21:56:10, 13/07/18 »
Good for him.
I am in the middle of a trip to the Lakes with my son and my dad.

Ronin83

« Reply #2443 on: 17:48:24, 15/07/18 »
Camped at Lee valley almost wild campsite, Broxbourne. Did a little forest walk and checked out a lake, cooked dinner n brekky on the 🔥.
Far too hot for any serious walking for me though.
It's 29° here. How is it elsewhere?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2444 on: 19:05:58, 15/07/18 »
Camped at Lee valley almost wild campsite, Broxbourne. Did a little forest walk and checked out a lake, cooked dinner n brekky on the 🔥.
Far too hot for any serious walking for me though.
It's 29° here. How is it elsewhere?
Raining in Glen Nevis  :(
We drove east to try to escape the rain - all the way to Glen Feshie! Caught some drizzle but it was dry on the way back down the Glen from the bothy.

Forecast for tomorrow better though. :)

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy