Author Topic: The Alpkit Cloud down blanket  (Read 1934 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The Alpkit Cloud down blanket
« on: 10:55:03, 22/11/19 »
Have any forum members bought this product and if so what do you think of it?

I have a Cumulus Poland sleeping quilt for a few years now and it has served me well, but no longer seems to have the heat-retaining qualities it once had. I don't want to buy a new one, just improve on the one that I've got. I know that I can try various other steps and I will, (thank you to those who have given me tips about this matter before) for example insulation under my Thermarest NeoAir and I can play around with wearing my day clothes as layers to assist my warmth problem. I am now considering the possibility of buying an Alpkit Cloud to wrap around me inside my quilt, or perhaps to just use as a throw-over. The main reason for looking at the Alpkit duvet is that it seems a good price, will compress to a small size and is just above £100. When compared to the Cumulus blanket, their cheapest is about £170. I don't know of any other UK companies that sell similar down camping duvets.

From my recent really cold night in the Lakes, I am now confident I do not want to go via the synthetic blanket route, I had two over my quilt and I was still cold, and of course, synthetic blankets are that much bulkier to pack in a rucksack.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: The Alpkit Cloud down blanket
« Reply #1 on: 11:38:03, 22/11/19 »

From my recent really cold night in the Lakes, I am now confident I do not want to go via the synthetic blanket route, I had two over my quilt and I was still cold, and of course, synthetic blankets are that much bulkier to pack in a rucksack.

American but may give some useful information :

https://www.adventurealan.com/best-lightweight-backpacking-quilts-sleeping-bag/

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:59:51, 22/11/19 »
Have you heard of AsTucas
Too little, too late, too bad......

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:51:47, 22/11/19 »
I got one of these a while ago to throw over me and squeaky in the tent
It’s very light and I was warm enough during milder climate, I got it thinking I could also use it as a hammock overquilt
I’m still not sure about quilts, I tend to move around a lot in my sleep, so the quilt ends up off me, I prefer a sleeping bag I think,
I’m sure it would make a sleeping bag much warmer if both used together
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:03:44, 22/11/19 »
I would try a sleeping bag under your existing quilt. A cheap synthetic summer bag would probably make all the difference.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:55:18, 22/11/19 »
I have a Cumulus Poland sleeping quilt for a few years now and it has served me well, but no longer seems to have the heat-retaining qualities it once had. I don't want to buy a new one, just improve on the one that I've got.

Assuming you know someone who can sew surely the most cost effective way to improve the Cumulus Poland sleeping quilt which you already have is just to add more down to it?

This YouTube video might be worth a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Rd4byilAA

This is the down he mentions and used for the extension section he added (use Google translate if you need to) https://www.extremtextil.de/en/fabrics/insulation/down.html

On a side note your recent problems with the cold on your Great Gable trip could probably have been much improved or even avoided if you had spent some money having your Paramo Alta II zip repaired and used that instead of your Marmot Precip. As it turns out throwing your Paramo Alta II in the garage never to be used again was not your brightest ever decision was it? In my opinion the Marmot Precip is at best a lightweight summer rain jacket and totally unsuitable for the cold conditions you experienced on Great Gable. You must wear clothing appropriate for the conditions or be prepared to suffer the consequence when you don't.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:21:57, 22/11/19 »
Sorry, I didn't clarify properly. I was not cold at all during the daylight hours, the Precip worked really well with the layers and the baselayer that I was wearing. My cold problem was purely at night, first of all waking up in my tent cold, then moving to my car, falling asleep again and then waking up cold again. It was one of those occasions where my day choice worked extremely well and my night choice worked out badly. I'm not an experienced winter camper but I would like to become one.

My Precip actually did fail me (from two years back) because the waterproofing internal covering had rubbed off in the hood, (I then suffered from a cold wet back when it rained) but this problem was caused mostly by me and a design error. I didn't notice that as I rolled the hood up into the collar the small securing Velcro patch scratched the waterproof surface away. If I'd rolled it the opposite way I don't think the problem would have occurred.

My reason for using the Precip recently was to find out if it could become a 'heavyweight' wind jacket for the winter, which in fact worked out very well. I think it will now be my winter wind jacket of choice so I'll just keep my lighter Rab Vital wind jacket for the warmer months. The day before I drove to the Lakes I cut the hood off of my Precip, then secure the useless edge of the material with a lighted match. The Precip now works in a different way for me. It didn't rain during the day I was there, but if it had I would have just slung my cheap waterproof coat over me to stay dry.

I think I'm like so many people, I've bought stuff of my hiking time, most of which works well but I am trying to adapt my 'turkeys,' like the 'waterproof' Precip, rather than thinking that I must my completely new again.

I haven't decided what to do with my Alta 2 yet but I'm not going to get the zip repaired. Even if I did I would still be disappointed with it, so as it stands its not worth me laying out the money.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:38:32, 22/11/19 »
Thanks for the You Tube suggestion, useful knowledge.

Sonatine

« Reply #8 on: 08:42:05, 23/11/19 »
Another option to consider is Mountain Equipment - Helium Cosmos Quilt. I picked up one a couple of months ago for £115. Very well made, good down to 5 degrees, 500g, used a couple of times and am very happy with purchase, clearly on it's own not up to winter.

(I think cosmos is the colour btw!)
« Last Edit: 08:55:01, 23/11/19 by Sonatine »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:00:01, 02/12/19 »
I would try a sleeping bag under your existing quilt. A cheap synthetic summer bag would probably make all the difference.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Trapping all the warm air next to the skin is a key part of why sleeping bags work as they do, and quilts just don't do it as well. A combination would give you the bag effect and the current quilt would still give all its insulation value. Very flexible combo too.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:56:16, 02/12/19 »
The Alpkit Cloud has sold out, they expect more in late Jan 2020. My latest idea is to buy the lowest warmth 'comforter' from Cumulus PL and use it with my Cumulus PL quilt? Still thinking about it though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy