Author Topic: Advice please, Which Hilleberg?  (Read 5100 times)

Snowman

Re: Advice please, Which Hilleberg?
« Reply #15 on: 09:48:20, 07/04/19 »
"Would you pay £43 for a set of 10 aluminium tent pegs that could be had from China for £3.81   They probably even came from the same factory."

Absolutely not, but then I've still got the pegs that came with the tent.   However if someone is going up Everest and needs 100% reliable pegs then maybe these do represent good value (I don't know because I don't have them).   I did buy a box of heavy duty tent pegs (the ones that are about a cm thick and probably made in China) to go with my 5 berth family tent.   I took the kids camping during good weather so hard ground, and still managed to bend one of them.   

What I'm getting at is that I just don't know (and probably neither do you) whether these pegs would perform exceptionally well or not, or better than the £3.81 pegs from China or not.   Similarly, I know nothing about the Phreelander or Trekkertent previously mentioned so wouldn't make adverse comments about either.   I got my Hilleberg when there wasn't much competition, especially at a lower price, so these comments praising those items may well be good advice to the OP.   

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:40:14, 07/04/19 »
It's not that there's anything wrong with Hilleberg tents, far from it. I was just saying that they were very over priced and that there are other brands which are just as good but cost less. This is of course just my opinion and you should really take anything on the internet with a large pinch of salt.

Snowman

« Reply #17 on: 10:59:22, 07/04/19 »
The point I'm trying to make is that you actually don't know that the Hilleberg is 'just as good', just as I don't know whether the other brands mentioned aren't as good.   I'm saying that while suggesting and recommending alternatives to the OP is fair and helpful, I'm not sure that slagging off Hilleberg as being overpriced is fair or helpful.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:17:08, 07/04/19 »
Well I have actually used Helliberg tents in the past, as well as many other brands. Not "slagging off" anything, just giving an option. Isn't that allowed anymore.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:21:37, 07/04/19 »
It's not that there's anything wrong with Hilleberg tents, far from it. I was just saying that they were very over priced and that there are other brands which are just as good but cost less. This is of course just my opinion and you should really take anything on the internet with a large pinch of salt.

They are bomber tents, speaking as someone who owns the Soulo and has used the Tarra, but in my experience you're paying for reliability and peace of mind in extreme conditions - which isn't especially necessary if you're going to find useful in Spring to Autumn in UK conditions.  That said, I've seen people love the Enan for these conditions, and if you want a 'gucci' tent which doesn't weigh a tonne this may be it.

Personally I'm more about lighter gear these days and would prefer something like a MLD Solomid XL or if you want to go British made, the Terra Nova tent range (Laser Comp 1 etc) are cheaper but well put together - but like anything it is about compromise.  To the OP - in my opinion you can't get bomber gear which weighs nothing and lasts a long time for little money, and you certainly feel every kg on your back during longer trips. 
« Last Edit: 11:31:36, 07/04/19 by forgotmyoldpassword »

Snowman

« Reply #20 on: 12:50:02, 07/04/19 »
Well I have actually used Helliberg tents in the past, as well as many other brands. Not "slagging off" anything, just giving an option. Isn't that allowed anymore.

Of course you can give an opinion, however since it is a subjective opinion it might help if you clarified that it is only your opinion.   I've been trying to be objective and have not attempted to make comments regarding other products along the lines of 'xyz tent is cheap crap'.   I don't think it helps the OP either since he asked for opinions on the suitability of a selection of tents and not whether others had an opinion as to how expensive they were.   By all means provide information such as alternatives and their relative costs, that is being objective, however making statements such as '... tents are overpriced' is subjective and ignores experiential information such as that provided by forgotmyoldpassword.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:19:27, 07/04/19 »
"Would you pay £43 for a set of 10 aluminium tent pegs that could be had from China for £3.81   They probably even came from the same factory."

However if someone is going up Everest and needs 100% reliable pegs ...

A lump of extruded aluminium is a lump of extruded aluminium. And Taxino8 isn't going up Everest - he's after a 3 season tent for UK use!

And I repeat again, I am NOT slagging off Hilleberg tents, only pointing out that they are VERY expensive, and that far cheaper alternatives that would suit taxino8's needs are available.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:20:50, 07/04/19 »
I don't think it helps the OP either since he asked for opinions on the suitability of a selection of tents and not whether others had an opinion as to how expensive they were.

And yet the OP has thanked us for our input!

Why have you got such a bee in your bonnet over this?

Snowman

« Reply #23 on: 13:54:46, 07/04/19 »
Actually I think it's you who has the 'bee in the bonnet'.   I read post after post criticising Hilleberg so simply exercised a right to reply, hardly having a 'bee in my bonnet'.   The barrage I've received back is more aggressive than I've been in my posts, in which I have NEVER criticised another product.

All I've tried to say, in response to various comments that Hilleberg tents are overpriced, is that if you don't have one then that statement is unjustified since you could easily be comparing chalk and cheese.   I've made it quite clear that I don't criticise other selections of tents, and in fact have stated that providing that information could be helpful to the OP, but I don't feel that the comments aimed at the Hilleberg are fair.

Yes, you are probably right that the OP doesn't need a Hilleberg, however that doesn't make them too expensive for what they are.   What it means is that if he's not going to need the function provided because he'll only ever walk in the UK then other options are open to him.

I don't think this discussion is going to move forward so I'm signing out of it.   

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:15:35, 07/04/19 »
Ok, we'll leave it at that, Snowman. Enjoy the rest of your day. :) 
« Last Edit: 15:09:19, 07/04/19 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:08:34, 07/04/19 »

taxino8 - sorry that this thread has got a bit off track. I want to emphasise that I am not in any way slagging off Hilleberg tents - they have a very good reputation and I am sure that they are of the highest quality - the one that I had a close look at certainly was (can't remember the model).

You might also want to look at Terra Nova tents; their Southern Cross 1 is another 4 season solo tent that I have my eye on, although I baulk at the price a little (£415 the cheapest that I can spot online at the moment).

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/southern-cross-1/
« Last Edit: 17:40:46, 07/04/19 by richardh1905 »

taxino8

« Reply #26 on: 15:49:24, 07/04/19 »
taxino8 - sorry that this thread has got a bit off track. I want to emphasise that I am not in any way slagging off Hilleberg tents - they have a very good reputation and I am sure that they are of the highest quality - the one that I had a close look at certainly was (can't remember the model).

You might also want to look at Terra Nova tents; their Southern Cross 1 is another 4 season solo tent that I have my eye on, although I balk at the price a little (£415 the cheapest that I can spot online at the moment).

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/southern-cross-1/
No apologies needed from anyone. A bit of healthy debating does no harm.

I completely understand about me NOT needing a Hilleberg and I’d never heard of the other make before and will look into it but as per my original post I’m at an age where I can afford to spoil myself and had already decided on a a Hilleberg, it was just which one as there aren’t any places near me where I could get to see one erected.
I’m not in a rush so I’ll explore the other alternatives as well as the Hillebergs.

Thanks everyone for responding.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:25:46, 08/04/19 »
Some photos of a Niak pitched in the Rhinogs on this thread.

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/trekkertent-saor-sr1-and-others.3650/page-2
« Last Edit: 18:35:11, 08/04/19 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:36:57, 08/04/19 »

Tarptent Scarp is another tough little tent that I am interested in. There was a TR posted last year with one pitched in the snow in the Lake District. I'll try and find it.

Not sure where you would get one in the UK though.
« Last Edit: 18:42:07, 08/04/19 by richardh1905 »

taxino8

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy