Author Topic: C2C in 2017  (Read 23392 times)

Mountaingirl

Re: C2C in 2017
« Reply #45 on: 16:56:44, 09/11/16 »
Now, Stedman book has been delivered and reading it O0 . excited with anticipation! There are lots of useful info, incl shops for supplies and Black Spots for getting lost :o He advises to be confident with own navigation, not to follow everybody else's wrong path. I suppose not all the walkers are doing C2C, and so, just following any walkers would not be the right thing ::)
So far, I noted 4 black spots in particular, as other bloggers also mentioned them and also warning by Mountain rescue:
1 after YHA Black Sail ( low route from Ennerdale), to take less obvious path, instead of going down to Great Gable
2 After 1 above, going up Loft Beck but not to follow all the way up to hit the fence in the north but to find the gate in Brandreth fence in the east.
3 end of Greenup Edge, to find the path to Far Easedale before it splits into high route and low route.
4 after Nine standard to Red Route - as we are doing it in MAY.

the book is good in many ways, but it does not always show other paths we might take in error ??? 
Anybody had any problems with these black spots, or any tips?  Thanks
« Last Edit: 17:49:55, 09/11/16 by Mountaingirl »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 18:01:55, 09/11/16 »
Mountaingirl - Do either of you subscibe to Trail or Country Walking? Or know anyone that does? Subscribers can now download OS maps for free. Theres a post about it in the General Walking thread (sorry I don't know how to show the link!)

For our Pennine Way walk a kind soul on here sent me the links to his files and we were able to print the pages out, much better than carrying loads of complete maps and you can just take the relevant sheets for the day. I'm a subscriber so may be able to help you out if it's possible, haven't looked into it yet. Will you be using a gps?

Re blackspots for getting lost, we found the right path after Black Sail but took the wrong one at the top of Loft Beck.  >:(

Rather be walking

« Reply #47 on: 12:33:12, 10/11/16 »
Thanks SD.

So this is an outline of our plan, for anyone who is interested (or wants to join us for a stroll at any point O0 )
St Bees –Cleator        29/4         
Cleator-Ennerdale Br 30/4
Ennerdale Br – Rosthwaite 1/5
Rosthwaite – Grasmere 2/5
Grasmere- Patterdale 3/5
Patterdale-Shap 4/5
Shap-Kirkby Stephen 5/5
KS-Keld  6/5
Keld- High Flemington  7/5
HF – Richmond  8/5
Richmond – Danby Whisk  9/5
D Wh- Osmotherly N  10/5
N Osm- Clay Bank top 11/5
CBT –Glaisdale  12/5
Glaisdale-Littlebeck  13/5
LB – RHB 14/5

That's the exactly same as our itinerary back in Sept 2016.
If my wife can walk it (looks over my shoulder in case) ;)  :knuppel2:
She found the southern Ennerdale path and Anglers Crag and later Loft beck hard, but then it was hot and humid day.
We just did lots of hill walks for training. 

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Mountaingirl

« Reply #48 on: 15:19:23, 11/11/16 »
Mountaingirl - Do either of you subscibe to Trail or Country Walking? Or know anyone that does? Subscribers can now download OS maps for free. Theres a post about it in the General Walking thread (sorry I don't know how to show the link!)

For our Pennine Way walk a kind soul on here sent me the links to his files and we were able to print the pages out, much better than carrying loads of complete maps and you can just take the relevant sheets for the day. I'm a subscriber so may be able to help you out if it's possible, haven't looked into it yet. Will you be using a gps?

Re blackspots for getting lost, we found the right path after Black Sail but took the wrong one at the top of Loft Beck.  >:(
So, the top of Loft Beck seems a tricky place. 
I hope alewife will get GPS for Christmas ;)
I am going to get mobile app with OS maps
 I would still like to see the large scheme of things ; eg in which valley each path will end up in the   place like Green up Edge. ... But like you say, I don't fancy so many maps :-\

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 15:50:48, 11/11/16 »
I hope alewife will get GPS for Christmas ;)

If she does I have a gpx file of the C2C ... just pm me if you'd like it.  I thought about doing it next year but am doing the Pennine Way instead now.
Where there's a will ...

mow1701

« Reply #50 on: 17:10:33, 11/11/16 »
The coast to coast is good but the Pennine Way is brilliant!!! :)

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 20:04:55, 02/12/16 »
If she does I have a gpx file of the C2C ... just pm me if you'd like it.  I thought about doing it next year but am doing the Pennine Way instead now.

Sussamb, Mountaingirl pointed out that you had offered the gpx file on this thread, which I missed, so thank you, that would be great. Once I get my GPS, after Christmas, I'll be in touch. Cheers.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 21:16:50, 02/12/16 »
Yep, no worries ...  :)

Any idea which one you're getting?
Where there's a will ...

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 17:38:49, 03/12/16 »
Probably the etrex 20, which seems to have most recommendations and easy to use once I get my head round it.  O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 17:53:01, 03/12/16 »
Good choice  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 18:26:50, 03/12/16 »
Probably the etrex 20, which seems to have most recommendations and easy to use once I get my head round it.  O0

The only GPS I have used so can't compare it to a different one but it's a good choice and I find it easy enough to use and would certainly buy another one if it broke  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mountaingirl

« Reply #56 on: 18:58:00, 05/12/16 »
I am reading the final day and found out the last black spot at Greystone Hills  :-\
very boggy, indistinct and confusing :o
Some people opted out and went for road. Stedman's book says there has been a diversion or new route. And so, it differs from Wainwright book from 2010.
If anyone can share the experience  and the year walked, very much appreciated O0

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 20:01:09, 05/12/16 »
I am reading the final day and found out the last black spot at Greystone Hills  :-\
very boggy, indistinct and confusing :o
Some people opted out and went for road. Stedman's book says there has been a diversion or new route. And so, it differs from Wainwright book from 2010.
If anyone can share the experience  and the year walked, very much appreciated O0

If Greystone Hills are where I think they are, the bit you probably mean is just after the May Beck trail, you walk uphill and then after a farm you turn right and diagonally across moorland but now you turn off and follow a nicer newer path that soon leads to a wall and you follow that to the main road then cross it.

I've snipped a bit off my C2C route from last year to show you. If you follow my route from the bottom left, you'll see I cut off the road but also a red line goes diagonally (original c2c route), hope this helps.

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mountaingirl

« Reply #58 on: 13:01:11, 06/12/16 »
Brian.
After the New May Beck Farm and crossing B1416, then C2C enter Greystone Hills. I read that between New May Beck Farm and B1416 is boggy. I guess that's what your map is showing. But after B1416, it's get even worse in Greystone Hills to the Hill Top and at some point, the pass disappears into the bog :-\ - that's what I read.

« Last Edit: 14:12:21, 06/12/16 by Mountaingirl »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 13:26:43, 06/12/16 »
Path is marked on a couple of maps I use.  I've amended my C2C route appropriately  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy