Author Topic: Any new or creative ideas about layering?  (Read 1759 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Any new or creative ideas about layering?
« on: 14:56:21, 17/05/20 »
The one hiking area of my body which I'm always thinking about is my torso and how to keep warm and cool no matter what the weather or what time of the day or night it is. I know the subject has been done many times but it still interests me a lot. I am always thinking about how to lighten my carry weight as well so for me the two subjects are linked.

I am confident that I want to wear and do wear certain items of clothing, a base layer and a waterproof outer layer (if it's wet) and a thin windcheater (if it's dry) for me is a must, its what goes in between the two that is always of interest to me.

I now have two Columbia hiking shirts which I plan to use over my baselayers, so working on the principle that my shirts is the inner garment and the waterproof or the windcheater is the outer garment then what is best to go in between? I have worn a full zipped fleece or my lightweight Alpkit synthetic full zipped warm jacket and I prefer the Alpkit jacket, it handles perspiration better in my view than my fleece. I've often thought of buying a gilet as well?

I would like to find a way of layering so that no matter what time of the year I can put things on and take things off at will to suit the weather conditions at the time and keep my rucksack weight as low as possible as well. It may be easy to some but I've never felt that I've really cracked it in the way that I would like to.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Any new or creative ideas about layering?
« Reply #1 on: 15:34:36, 17/05/20 »
When i saw the thread title I thought it might be about the use of gingham or taffeta to make hiking clothes more appealing.
Being primarily a day walker these days, I tend to look at the weather forecast and the route and select my wardrobe accordingly.  As the day warms up, my pack may get a bit heavier if I take a layer right off as opposed to just undoing the zips.  If it rains hard, my pack may get a bit lighter.
In summer my base layer is usually a safari shirt with a light fleece outer layer and the option of a lightweight fleece jumper.  I always have a wind/waterproof rolled up in my pack to keep the draught out if I have miscalculated.  In colder weather, I substitute the shirt with a proper base layer, still with the lightweight sweater and perhaps a thicker fleece.
I avoid wearing a jacket if I can, but I will usually have one in my pack unless I am totally sure of the weather.
Solvitur Ambulando

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 16:35:31, 17/05/20 »
Nothing revolutionary I'm afraid.

Base layer as a minimum is Montane Primino 140 long sleeve. The 220 is just too thick for Summer. Long sleeves to wick sweat and protect from the sun.

Outer shell for both protection from the wind and rain is a Marmot Precip. Simple and lightish.

Mid layer is The North Face 1/4 zip Polartec 100 Glacier Fleece. This is very simple with no pockets or pit zips etc.

My theme is light, simple layers.

I currently carry the Craghoppers compresslite jacket for when it is really cold or when stopped. I am looking to replace that as it is relatively heavy and quite bulky for the warmth. I was thinking of Montbell Superior Down Parka but that is a lot of cash!
« Last Edit: 16:43:29, 17/05/20 by Apache »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:48:42, 17/05/20 »
Mid layer is a fleece, cheap, of varying weight. For really cold weather I have fibre pile lined fleece jackets by regatta and Hoggs of Fife - not the lightest but toasty. Currently I wear a cheapo lightweight fleece by Regatta - I like a full length zip for temperature control.

No point in spending lots of money on base or mid layers, IMO, save it for a good waterproof outer.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:51:01, 17/05/20 »
I'll put in a plug for the Rohan Spark Vest - a gilet that I've found to be a big success.  O0

It weighs just 150g (if I remember correctly) and it packs down extremely small, but it's surprisingly warm. Mine is reversible, with a black side and a blue side. There's a zipped pocket on the blue side and hand-warming pockets on the black side. Unfortunately, Rohan has a habit of changing features while retaining the name, so whereas mine has a full-length zip, the current model has poppers.

The gilet works extremely well as a mid-layer and equally well as the outer layer of two.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:07:17, 17/05/20 »
I have 2 fleece gilets but they have not been a great success.  If I wear the gilet, I end up with cold arms and a warm body.  If I put a jacket over the top, I feel like a trussed up chicken and the combination is too warm on the body.  Perhaps I am not a gilet person or they only work in certain conditions.  They are certainly popular with the farming folk round here who seem to live in them.  Perhaps I am wearing the wrong kind of shirt with them, maybe a more pronounce check and a flat cap?.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #6 on: 21:03:42, 17/05/20 »
As I walk "warm" I usually wear a merino t shirt, sleeve length dependent on the temperature, with a windproof jacket over the top if needed. The waterproof jacket stays in the pack until required, which is not very often.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:08:14, 17/05/20 »
Gillets are great.
I have a Paramo Torres for colder weather, a Mountain Warehouse fleece one for cool summer evening, and a multi-pocketed canvas thing for casual walks.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 22:50:46, 17/05/20 »
Gilets can be useful. Personally I don't really get cold arms much and it always baffled me why I would need an equal amount of insulation on my armpits?? I think all jackets, mid layers etc should have some kind of mesh on the pits, but rarely ever do.
Same goes for legs. I don't need base layer AND trousers on my balls and bum, just on the legs. Mesh would help there too. I often just pack waterproof overtrousers instead for wind resistance.

Also, I've recently found a very thin sport fleece (berghaus pravitale mountain light) keeps a very constant temperature and good breathability. Coupled with the rab borealis for a bit of wind resistance it's a good set up. Still need a waterproof just in case though.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:11:59, 18/05/20 »
A while ago I bought and now use mesh boxer underwear, so much better for hiking or running than the normal underwear that I wear routinely when at home. They only cost £3.99 a pair from Decathlon, they are elasticated and cling to my skin, and when I walk or run it feels as if I'm not really wearing anything at all, but, I am 'gripped' comfortably in all of the right places! They also wash clean in an instant and dry very quickly.

I'm trying to move in the mesh direction with my base layers as well. I've just ordered a mesh Brynge 'string vest' but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping that if the reviews are right I might be able to move away from my 'clammy and damp' merino and bamboo types. I wore my merino base layer when I went running this morning, it's now soaked in perspiration and to me, that's its major weakness, it then takes a long time to dry.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:34:36, 18/05/20 »
I remember my dad wearing a string vest and matching underpants.  He used to complain that the pants made his bum look like a golf ball.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:00:32, 18/05/20 »
I remember my dad wearing a string vest and matching underpants.  He used to complain that the pants made his bum look like a golf ball.
I'm just glad that was back in the days before digital cameras.  ;D
« Last Edit: 14:07:26, 18/05/20 by BuzyG »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:07:09, 18/05/20 »
I got a reminder of the performance of modern base layers yesterday.  After all this cool weather and mainly short walks locally, I was daft enough to wear a cotton T shirt, for a proper walk, on a warm day in the middle of Dartmoor.  I ended up wearing just trousers and sunscreen, whist it hung from my pack drying.

What did I say about digital cameras again.  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:23:52, 18/05/20 »
No need for layering on my walk today.  Such fine weather - all I needed was my Trusty Tilley, polo shirt and lightweight Craghoppers.  Best of all - no pack!
Solvitur Ambulando

jb101

« Reply #14 on: 15:25:13, 18/05/20 »
I would recommend a pertex smock which don't seem to be mentioned a great deal these days .They are very lightweight,pack very small and can be used as a mid layer or shell as wind resistant.

ATB
James 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy