Author Topic: Using a Apple Watch for Gps Tracking.  (Read 756 times)

Moreandy

Using a Apple Watch for Gps Tracking.
« on: 13:33:54, 08/01/19 »
Hi all
I have a garmin vivoactive 3 watch and an iphone , I would like to go all in with apple and like the look of the apple watch 4 but have concerns about the battery life , especially for gps tracking .Does anybody use one or should i stick to my Garmin watch !

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Using a Apple Watch for Gps Tracking.
« Reply #1 on: 16:12:16, 08/01/19 »

I've been thinking of treating myself and replacing my Polar A300 activity tracker watch (when finance allows), so have been looking at fancier alternatives. I didn't spend long looking at Apple as they have a bad reputation for battery life (and cost the earth) - they claim 18 hours mixed use for the Apple Watch 4, but only 6 hours of  "continuous outdoor activity tracking". I found an article where someone tested one on a hike. They did 6 hours 20 minutes of hiking and the battery dropped to 5%.

By way of comparison, Polar claim that their Vantage M multisport watch with GPS lasts up to 30 hours in training mode (GPS and wrist-based heart rate).

PS - the Polar watch gets some pretty bad reviews on Amazon though!

Edit - after reading reviews and looking at prices, have decided to stick with my Polar A300. No GPS, but works well as an activity tracker and watch, and the battery lasts WEEKS.
« Last Edit: 20:32:38, 08/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:31:21, 08/01/19 »
Hi all
I have a garmin vivoactive 3 watch..

Would you recommend the Vivoactive 3?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:57:24, 08/01/19 »
Hi all
I have a garmin vivoactive 3 watch and an iphone , I would like to go all in with apple watch !
  Why?  If it ain't broke..........
Solvitur Ambulando

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:48:21, 08/01/19 »
Hi all
I have a garmin vivoactive 3 watch and an iphone , I would like to go all in with apple and like the look of the apple watch 4 but have concerns about the battery life , especially for gps tracking .Does anybody use one or should i stick to my Garmin watch !
Only you can decide, if it’s in your budget and you fancy a change, then give it a go. For me, I have a Suunto gps watch but it was a mistake, I have hardly used it and will probably sell it, much preferring my paper map and iPhone with outdoors gb with 1:25 scale mapping.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:21:17, 08/01/19 »
I have used a vivofit3 as an activity tracker since they came on the market. They are unobtrusive. The batteries last for over a year. All the hard work is done on your smartphone when you synch the data. My wife now also has one.
It dies what we want measuring had amount of exercise we do daily and sees how well we do over a period of time against our targets.
Personally I find it encourages me to get my daily targets (4 miles brisk >:( Walk daily minimum)My brisk , your tortoise gambol.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Moreandy

« Reply #6 on: 22:11:42, 09/01/19 »
Decided to keep the garmin ,like you say if it isn’t broken why change
Thanks guys for the advice  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy