Author Topic: SWCP for the over 60's  (Read 27994 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Re: SWCP for the over 60's
« Reply #75 on: 22:23:25, 02/05/17 »
Back at Wembury tonight. Ready to start the last 200 miles or so of this big walk tomorrow morning. Weather looks good. Have turned up with the sum total of 19 miles practise walked; so a little undercooked. 12 days scheduled to Poole with a few shorter days at the start fortunately.
Been a fairly traumatic winter so really looking forward to this O0  a good warm up for August's n-s PW.
Happy days hopefully

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 14:19:59, 04/05/17 »
Good luck with the final leg, especially the ups and downs  :o before Lulworth.

If you need any sort of backup message me (I'm in Exeter) :)

Happy Walking

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 17:20:31, 05/05/17 »
Will do jac..  thanks.
Have got to Strete ! :D

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 19:55:47, 07/05/17 »
Fifth day of the third leg done. Am in Teignmouth. Some tough sections from Salcombe. A week to Poole now. Big up to those who do it in one. Big up also to drakes restaurant in Teignmouth. In a sea of Michelin star eating places, they did me a turkey dinner, crumble and custard and a pint for 15 quid...a bargain down here O0
Perfect after a long haul from brixham

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 00:12:36, 08/05/17 »
You're going well - I've ordered good weather for you ;D

If you stop in Exmouth, Krispies fish and chips is the best there ::)

Have fun :)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 20:09:14, 08/05/17 »
Otterton. Budleigh Salterton not walker friendly..not friendly at all really but that apart a lovely day. Exmouth so pretty and clean. The river otter valley on a sunny late afternoon..superb. at the King's arms. Had to wait at Starcross as it was low water but even that was relaxing. One of those days to stick in the memory..

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 10:01:37, 09/05/17 »
Otterton. Budleigh Salterton not walker friendly..not friendly at all really but that apart a lovely day. Exmouth so pretty and clean. The river otter valley on a sunny late afternoon..superb. at the King's arms. Had to wait at Starcross as it was low water but even that was relaxing. One of those days to stick in the memory..

My favourite local area :) 

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 21:30:26, 10/05/17 »
Beer to West Bay today. Tough in the heat but in striking distance of Weymouth tomorrow. Under Cliffe is different; 5 miles in a greenhouse. Beach walk from lmye regis to Charmouth..past the fossil Hunters. Some big climbs thereafter.
Happy days..

John Walker

« Reply #83 on: 21:49:33, 10/05/17 »
Seems like you are going great! The section past Chesil Beach is quite long (and maybe a bit boring!) but after Weymouth there's the delights of White Nothe, Durdle Door and Lulworth.

All the Best :)

John W
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 09:38:50, 11/05/17 »
Seems like you are going great! The section past Chesil Beach is quite long (and maybe a bit boring!) but after Weymouth there's the delights of White Nothe, Durdle Door and Lulworth.
John W

Ah those 'bottoms' and ups along that section. Tough.

and isn't Portland is now officially part of the SWCP

Oh [censored]*** I just want to do it all over again.

LOL it censored the one letter 'b' and left the astericks )
« Last Edit: 21:50:18, 11/05/17 by Jac »

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 20:35:27, 11/05/17 »
Got to Weymouth today. It was tough going on that shingle around bexington and the Chesil beach section is boring. Abbotsbury was lovely. Didn't realise I had to walk another 3 miles from ferry bridge to get a bed for the night so 24 miles..too far.
Only 3 days to go. Should be ok to yha Lulworth tomorrow. Then the big one over to swanage on Sat.
I think everyone should do this walk twice!  But give me about 5 years to recover!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 20:50:47, 11/05/17 »
So having miscalculated this leg today, I reckon I have "only" about 11 miles to do tomorrow and the yha won't open till 5 pm. So what is worth stopping and staring at?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: 21:56:49, 11/05/17 »
The Smugglers at Osmington Mills, White Nothe - if you read Moonfleet years ago that is were the zig-zag path comes up where they escaped from the excise men, The Pelican of London (tall ship) if she's moored in the harbour (Weymouth is her home port),  Durdle door, fossile 'forest' at Lulworth.
Only 11 miles but some could steep bits. Have fun

Did you go round Portland?

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 21:19:06, 13/05/17 »
 I briefly pondered that smugglers track..then promptly lost my nerve. Not sure about portland  Didn't have the time and in truth didn't fancy it. Did a bit of the ridgeway from bexington to Abbotsbury.  It was quite pleasant.
Lulworth to swanage was a good days walk.
Just the last hop to south haven now. Been a good walk. If anything, East Devon and Dorset is prettier than the rest. I have been amazed at the non stop procession of stunning scenery over 600 miles. Glad I did it..assuming I make it over the finish line tomorrow. Happy days

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: 20:01:56, 14/05/17 »
Done! :D . Managed to get lost in those dunes at the end and had to walk the beach to Bournemouth as no bus..but done. Now for a sit down.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy