Author Topic: Help me pick a new jacket  (Read 705 times)

Yant0s

Help me pick a new jacket
« on: 21:29:23, 17/02/20 »
Been looking for a new jacket.  I want something light that I can wear in the summer and layer in the winter.

Basically it's going to be my only jacket.  Im into serious hiking but I am out walking my dog every day.   I've been getting soaked lately.   Thinking of doing Ben Nevis thus summer and spending some time in the brecon beacons.

My budget is upto £150.

As it's will be my go to jacket. I want to to be fairly smart and fashionable.   I will be wearing it everywhere so no crazy colours and a nice slim fit.

I think I've got my heart set on a Berghaus 3 in 1, in a plain black colour.

Was looking at the RG Alpha (AQ2).  Then the Gore Tex versions caught my eye.  I really like the hill walker and fell master in plain black too.

So out of the three...

RG Alpha or Hill Walker or Fell master? 

I guess I need to most hard-wearing as im in the woods daily.    Other suggestions are welcome.  Thank you .

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Help me pick a new jacket
« Reply #1 on: 21:49:37, 17/02/20 »
I bought a Kumar from Trespass, been pretty good.
Then I was in Millets and bought a cheap Peter Storm one in the sale, I tend to wear that one every day.
I do wish that all walking jackets had proper map pockets, ones large enough to take a Kindle.
And a little longer to stop the wind blowing on ones behind.
« Last Edit: 09:46:42, 18/02/20 by SteamTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:44:03, 18/02/20 »
Or if you want really cheap and waterproof, to be worn, only when it rains and to not be used when it stops raining, Google 'Champion Typhoon' advertised at just under £16. I believe that on balance, you will walk in the dry on most days of the year, so should your priority be to look good, 'smart and fashionable' in dry periods, or to look good, 'smart and fashionable' in the rain? Personally I'd rather look good, smart and fashionable when it's dry. In reality, does anyone care at all what any of us look like in the rain?

But if you really want to spend more money have a look at the Alpkit site and check out the 'Balance' jacket. It seems to be well thought of and I think its a 3 rather than a 2.5 jacket. I have a 2.5 jacket, a Marmot Precip (another jacket worth considering, can be bought for about £50) and like so many others of this type I tend to have problems with condensation, especially in the sleeves.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:10:34, 18/02/20 »
I have just bought a Craghoppers Corran jacket. Goretex and can take a zip in fleece. Lots of sites have them well within your budget.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:48:04, 18/02/20 »
This morning I saw a Champion Typhoon (S) advertised for £6.50 so I have just ordered one. I am a medium but I'm just crossing my fingers that their Small is going to fit me OK? If not I'll pass it on to someone.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:58:07, 19/02/20 »
My £6.90 Champion Typhoon waterproof single skin jacket has just arrived and luckily I guessed correctly, their 'small' version fits me as a 'medium.' I've put it on and when zipped up I have plenty of room to wear my base layer, my shirt and my Alpkit synthetic jacket underneath. It has a full hood, which I know is good because it's the same design that I have on my other Champion coat. The jacket hem ends just below my bottom, my Marmot Precip is shorter. The sleeves are the right length for me and the cuffs are adjustable rather than just elasticated. Its made from Aqua-Event and claims to be 'breathable' but of course, I don't believe that at all. I'm know for sure that because of my other Champion coat it will perform just as well as my other jackets, my Marmot Precip and my Paramo Alta 2.

I now know with confidence that if it rains I will be dry! I may not be dry from internal condensation however, I never was anyway when I wore my Marmot Precip, my Paramo Alta 2 or my Vaude Poncho.

All I now have to do is decide how to keep my feet and legs dry. My choices are, my waterproof trousers or my rain skirt. I don't wear waterproof trousers any more so rain skirt it is! I'm so pleased with myself today, £6.90!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy