Author Topic: A Very Social Pre-Christmas Walkie from Ashbourne Sat 4th Dec 2010  (Read 5166 times)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member

We arranged to meet around 10:45am for an 11am start outside the Ashbourne Travelodge where the majority of us were staying and where I had managed to negotiate Free parking because we were staying there!!

Another photo of the group with me in it this time.

After leading the group from the Travelodge, past Homebase, M&S and towards Sainsbury’s – Radder was chuntering, worried as he was starting to think we were going shopping instead – we carried on past Ashbourne Leisure Centre and passed through the old railway tunnel beneath Ashbourne to the start of the Tissington Trail. Here’s Abi and Emma leading the way up the Trail. Two women on a mission!

My girlfriend Lynne has a thing about trees, so I have to take a lot of photos of them as you will see…

I quite like this shot, something mystical about it.

Here Radder made the command decision to keep on the trail to the old station and head to the Dog & Partridge pub because he was starving and wanted a drink and said he wanted to talk to a parrot! Despite the fact we thought he’d lost his marbles we duly followed and very pleasant it was too.

Here’s Batfink and girlfriend Elsbeth heading towards the pub!

Here we all are in the cosy warm Dog and Partridge pub. Me and Lynne had brought flasks of soup and tea, along with cheese and ham baps, crisps, chocolate etc, but we still managed to end up ordering burger and chips with our drinks!

Jack the parrot. Who’s a pretty boy then! Abs tried her best to get him to swear but he was having none of it!

The group outside the pub. Don’t we look cold?

Thorpe cloud in the distance covered in snow.

This was the moment the 2 groups met, the social group, which was ours, and the anti-social group, which was Joester’s. In the photo is Mr Joester himself, Sgt Pepper and Radder. This was just after the man with the van incident, and who can forget that!

Thorpe church.

The group trudging through the village of Thorpe towards the path that leads down to Coldwell Bridge and the delightful River Dove…

A white vista!

Another white vista from a different angle.

Some more trees for Lynne.

The River Dove from Coldwell Bridge

River Dove from another angle.

Lynne trudging through the snow beside the river. By this point I think she was thinking about finishing with me! Lol

The white river path.

Here comes The Batfink!

A Big Tree for Lynne and some more snow.

Arenig doing it in stile! Like the hat Robbo!

By now we just wanted to find the other pub, The Oakover Arms in Mapleton.

And here it is in the distance where we found a real fire and where me and Lynne stood outside, she had her soup and we shared our flask of tea before venturing into the pub to find the rest of the group engaged in raucous banter! It was hard work getting them to leave here I can tell you! Some people, who will remain nameless, even started talking about getting a ‘Taxi’ back into Asbourne!

From here I decided it was best not to climb over the fields from Mapleton as it was getting dark, no one seemed to have a torch and it was safer and quicker to head back to Ashbourne via the road, and besides none of us wanted to be late for the pub crawl planned later! When we got to the Cycle Hire Centre we once again ventured through the impressive Ashbourne tunnel and made our way back to the Travelodge to check in, shower, freshen up and head out for the evenings festivities which turned into a cracking night.

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to come on the walk despite the weather, and everybody seemed to enjoy it. I know me and Lynne did!
 Steve
« Last Edit: 01:54:24, 10/12/10 by gotmeheadshaved »
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
Spot on Steve!  :) :) :)

I'd actually forgotten about white-van man, it's a wonder he didnt put his van in a ditch he was that excited! (and that would have been such a shame!)  ;D

BTW, I'm starting to wonder if Yeti is on the run? Noone hides from so many photos like that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Excellent report and photos Steve O0   So wish I could have been there.  Never mind - there's always next year! 8)

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
great pics n report steve, thanks for organising the forums xmas meet, both the walk and the evening was very enjoyable. :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Micky

• Veteran Member
Nice report and pictures Steve, on what looked like a good but cold walk.

Where are the pictures from the pub crawl???? :o
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Where are the pictures from the pub crawl? ??? :o

I don't know if I dare put them on here Micky! lol  ;D ;D ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Where are the pictures from the pub crawl???? :o

They're all on Facebook, you not seen 'em? ???

Brilliant photo's and report Steve. It was a really good route and the two pubs enroute were very welcome indeed! O0
« Last Edit: 14:47:05, 10/12/10 by Peakbagger »
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

joester

• Veteran Member
Very good!

Had myself a nice little skive reading that, but I suppose I should do some work now.

Cheers Steve, Merry Christmas!
solvitur ambulando

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member

I don't know if I dare put them on here Micky! lol  ;D ;D ;D

Steve

I didn't dare put mine on here!!  :o :o ;D ;D ;D
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
Brilliant report and photo's Steve on what looks like a bitterly cold day.You're all very brave for even starting it in those conditions .
Who's the terrorist at the back of the group photo at the start standing near the man from the Free Wales Army . :)
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Brilliant report and photo's Steve on what looks like a bitterly cold day.You're all very brave for even starting it in those conditions .
Who's the terrorist at the back of the group photo at the start standing near the man from the Free Wales Army . :)

Thanks mate  O0

As for the terrorist, I think that would be Yeti, but he's not a terrorist. He's a very nice man  :)  Well I'm sure he wasn't carrying any bombs or such but then again I never did see what was under his coat!   ;D ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

radder

• Veteran Member
I didn't dare put mine on here!!  :o :o ;D ;D ;D

I hope not, I've never been so ashamed of myself  ::)   At least I was one of the few that didn't do any stripping for the camera  :o   ;D

Great write up Steve, can't think who would want to order a taxi on a walking meet  :-X   ;D

swampy

• Veteran Member
I would like to see the pub pics I'm not on facebook! especially the ones of radder attempting a brucie!
As for yeti being a terrorist....he terrorises me every day!! ;D ;D
In it for the socials

yeti

• Veteran Member
Spot on Steve!  :) :) :)

I'd actually forgotten about white-van man, it's a wonder he didnt put his van in a ditch he was that excited! (and that would have been such a shame!)  ;D

BTW, I'm starting to wonder if Yeti is on the run? Noone hides from so many photos like that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm not on the run...big clue is the fact I'm on a WALKING FORUM????????? ???   ;D
Had great time. Great report Steve. O0
R.I.P. Dave.

yeti

• Veteran Member

Thanks mate  O0

As for the terrorist, I think that would be Yeti, but he's not a terrorist. He's a very nice man  :)  Well I'm sure he wasn't carrying any bombs or such but then again I never did see what was under his coat!   ;D ;D

Steve
I don't know how you managed to see me as I was wearing 'my bestest camoflage'. O0
R.I.P. Dave.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy