Author Topic: [Trip Report] Kinder Scout Plateau  (Read 5813 times)

di36mg

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Kinder Scout Plateau
« Reply #15 on: 21:37:22, 10/08/10 »
Just having my first try at posting a pic.. of one of the stones on KS....

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:10:04, 10/08/10 »
Hi Dazza,

Me and the family did a similar route a few years back - although you seemed to have had much better weather than we did.

We camped at Edale and when we got to the grindsbrook we were more than a little surprised to find we would have to climb down (I should have done some research) - but we enjoyed it all the same especially the Guinness at the pub back in Edale.

Those sheep that hang around at the downfall - scary bunch of local 'hoodies' if you ask me - they appear as a small gang and try to intimidate you in to handing over your lunch!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:08:31, 11/08/10 »
There sure are some wierd formations up there. That one looks like Daffy duck!

As for the Sheep I can't talk about them. They keep coming round my house and threatening me  :D .

Seriously though they are pretty forward aren't they. They move off quickly if you get too close if it isn't on their terms (i.e. you don't have a sandwich in your hand).

In weather like we had, plateau hopping was great. Will definitely do more in future.

I find Grindsbrook easier to go down than some of the more 'gentle' paths. Once you're past the climb down bit it's all pretty level with good, clear path ways. Some of the alternative most definitely aren't.

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:47:51, 03/09/10 »
Excellent and amusing report - thanks for that!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Blueheeler

« Reply #19 on: 14:22:55, 19/02/12 »
I really enjoyed reading this and the photo's are great - excellent report and for a newbie like me it helps greatly.  I think I will try this when the weather warms up.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:25:21, 19/02/12 »
Thanks. This particular report was after about a week or two of prolonged hot weather so it was uncharacteristically dry. Best time to go plateau hopping if you don't like Kinders normal feature - MUD

And lots of if, pretty deep in places as well.

If you've never been across the plateau my recommendation is to make sure it's after a dry spell, it makes navigation much easier and you'll enjoy it more. Later on you can get your fill of mud if you wish.

Myself I'll be plateau wandering again after a suitably dry period.

I must do more reports as well, I'm getting lazy.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

mountain goat

« Reply #21 on: 18:38:16, 19/02/12 »
well dazza what can i say but the pics are spot on love the views i am going up there on tuesday but it has forcast bad weather lol so see what happens. love the comments on the pics spot on pal O0

danieljohnpage

« Reply #22 on: 19:13:46, 19/02/12 »
great report and pics enjoyed the read thanks O0  looks like you were lucky with the weather

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:35:03, 19/02/12 »
Thanks all.

The weather was kind. Mind you it was Summer (two weeks in June for 2010 if I recall)  ;D

Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy