Author Topic: The osprey kestrel 48l  (Read 1536 times)

Nomad32

The osprey kestrel 48l
« on: 22:47:31, 29/01/19 »
I have spotted this bag as my next purchase does anyone have one and is it any good?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: The osprey kestrel 48l
« Reply #1 on: 14:17:36, 30/01/19 »
I have the Exos 48L, is it similar? Osprey for me has been the best carry system so no real complaints from me.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:40:09, 30/01/19 »
I have the Exos 48L, is it similar? Osprey for me has been the best carry system so no real complaints from me.

+1 for Exos48L
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:48:22, 30/01/19 »
I have spotted this bag as my next purchase does anyone have one and is it any good?
I have a Kestrel 38 - very comfortable, barely know it's on.  Pole stowage is useful as are the waist belt pockets - I use them for my mini radio, the compass I never use and spare batteries for the radio in plastic bag.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 17:17:36, 30/01/19 »
Its the Exos 46 ltr for me

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:44:21, 31/01/19 »
I've been thinking, but not too seriously, about a new rucksack and was originally fancying the Deuter Futura pro 36. It seems to have gone back to the RRP instead of the pre-Christmas discounted price and consequently I looked further afield.
I notice Taunton Leisure (I think it's called) had the Osprey Kestrel 38 at about £70 - which seemed a decent price and is now a hot contender.
I did wonder why there are so many variations at similar capacities - exos / kestrel + others (evoque/exige etc  ;D )
Presumably they are for differing uses - anyone know ?

PS - tbh I did buy their Mutant 38 a couple of years ago, but quickly sold it on as I was less than impressed with how flimsy it was. I bought the Dueter Guide 35+, which is a great rucksack, but I feel a little 'over - dressed' using it for more casual jaunts.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:47:52, 31/01/19 »
Taunton Leisure are a great dealer. Good help available on the phone. 

You are correct in thinking that different styles fit differently. 

Google up on how to measure your back , do it, then give them a bell. ( (ALSO volunteer your waist size as the waist belt can be neat if you get the wrong model and carry a couple of pre digested meals too many around with you).

I thought my Exos was  looking a bit  on the flimsy side when it arrived and I had a good look at it. It certainly is not flimsy. I can be quite clumsy ancient it has withstood everything I throw at it. My only gripe us that it us a top loader.  a bottom zip would gave been good but I have learned to live with it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:50:29, 31/01/19 »
Thanks jimbob,
The Mutant was good because of it's lightness and had several decent features.
It was a nice bright/light green colour which I reckoned would be easily spotted by mountain rescue should I end up face down in snow etc  ;D
The first time I packed my gear into it, I realised the material was 'sheer' and I could see the contents from the outside.
Perhaps it was a tough material but given that I could virtually see through it, I didn't have any confidence that it would take a pounding and had visions of the material ripping & spilling the contents out.
I know what you mean about side zips and have found them quite useful (the Deuter Guide has one as well as my very old Karrimor).
What with Christmas and a service & MOT for the car last week, I am just looking at the moment. No doubt the deals will be off when I come to splash out  :(    
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Nomad32

« Reply #8 on: 14:24:03, 31/01/19 »
Thanks for all the usfull critique i will measure my back and see what size to go with. I think go outdoors has the bag in stock so might make a trip over there.

scott_allore

« Reply #9 on: 19:42:05, 10/02/19 »
I have the kestrel 32, it fits like my other Ospreys.  It's not the best on the market, buts is super tough.  I had to crawl under vines and twigs which was brutal, and all that got snagged was the bottle holder.  Overall I like the ospreys for durability.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy