Author Topic: Brifield BR3 Body Camera  (Read 1989 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Brifield BR3 Body Camera
« on: 17:18:35, 17/10/20 »
My wife gave me a body camera for a present today just before we set off for our walk.  :)

Perhaps I'd mentioned to her that lots of cyclists have cameras attached to their helmets, so why shouldn't walkers have something similar?

I may even have done some research a little while ago and mentioned that if I were to get myself a body cam, then the Brifield BR3 looks just the thing...

So what's the point of a body cam? Perhaps not many walkers will think one worthwhile, but here's what persuaded me: I do a lot of solo walking and have had just enough close calls with dogs and cattle (in particular) to have made me think that having evidence in a more serious situation might be a good idea. I also liked the idea of always having video recordings available should I happen to fancy a bit of editing as well as having a still camera instantly available too.

It's early days yet, so just a few first impressions for now. I found out which button switched recording on and off (the big obvious yellow one), attached it to my backpack strap, and set off on a walk. When I switched it on, a voice confirmed that recording had started and a small red LED on top of the camera began flashing.

A little over 3 hours later, I switched it off. Back home again, I plugged the camera into my PC and was presented with a list of 15 minute videos. The quality was very impressive. At some point on the walk I tried to take a still photo without knowing which button to press; I turned on sound recording by mistake and I really don't like hearing myself, so that'll be off in future!

The camera feels like a quality piece of equipment. It has a screen on the back and a great many features to try - night mode, motion sensor, password settings, different video settings, and so on. But it's also perfectly useable straight from the box. By the way, with the default settings, the battery looks to last about 8 hours with continuous recording. The internal memory is 32gb which is also about 8 hours -worth of recording. In effect, the memory never fills up because the oldest files are always being overwritten.

I was concerned that a body camera might be too large and/or heavy for normal use. But attached to my backpack by the very sturdy clip provided, I wasn't even aware it was there most of the time.

I'll add some more here when I've explored more of the options...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Brifield BR3 Body Camera
« Reply #1 on: 17:21:24, 17/10/20 »
Just in case someone asks you why you are wearing it  - some reading for you
 https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-body-worn-cameras-or-action-cameras
« Last Edit: 17:24:37, 17/10/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:38:11, 17/10/20 »
Just in case someone asks you why you are wearing it  - some reading for you
 https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-body-worn-cameras-or-action-cameras

Thanks for that ninthace, it made for interesting reading.  O0

I was quite relieved when I got to the bit that says:

Action Cameras and the Personal Use Exception

Another technology similar to body worn cameras, or indeed simply a different application of the same technology, is the recreational use of what are commonly referred to as ‘action cameras’ – digital cameras designed for recording action while taking part in it. These cameras are typically worn or mounted in such a way that it can shoot from the point of view of the user, such as by mounting on a helmet, bicycle, or even a drone.

These technologies function very similarly to body worn cameras used in a commercial context; however, whether or not data protection law applies to the use of action cameras will very much depend on the purpose and nature of the use of those cameras – in short, it will generally not apply where they are used purely for personal recreational purposes.
(My underlining.)

I expect drone users and cyclists will be relieved too.  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:08:57, 17/10/20 »
Glad to help Dave, most people will not question a GoPro on a biker or snow boarders helmet but meeting a hiker with a bodycam could cause questions.  Now you are in a position to quote the the regs if you are challenged.
The need to film oneself and one's activities is something I have difficulty relating to as my walking memory is still good.  I was always rubbish at names and faces but I can still vividly recall walks and locations from years ago.  However, I understand it is what the young people do, so that puts you in with the young folk - congratulations and I wish you many happy hours of filming, enjoy  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:23:04, 17/10/20 »
Glad to help Dave, most people will not question a GoPro on a biker or snow boarders helmet but meeting a hiker with a bodycam could cause questions.  Now you are in a position to quote the the regs if you are challenged.
The need to film oneself and one's activities is something I have difficulty relating to as my walking memory is still good.  I was always rubbish at names and faces but I can still vividly recall walks and locations from years ago.  However, I understand it is what the young people do, so that puts you in with the young folk - congratulations and I wish you many happy hours of filming, enjoy  O0

Thanks ninthace. It's not so much the recreational use that interests me, but security.

For example, one particular incident comes immediately to mind: I was walking solo with no one around for at least half-a-mile - except for the person and dog coming towards me. The dog was a Dobermann and off the lead. The person was still a good 200m away when the dog began to behave (from my perspective) aggressively towards me. It would run towards me, crouch, stalk, and repeat... finally running at me growling and snarling. It brushed past me, then returned to its owner - and repeated the process once more. This was a clear case of a dog making someone worried that it might injure them and, as such, the owner was breaking the law. But I had no witnesses and there was no point me reporting the incident. That's my main reason for getting a body cam (just as security is the reason why my wife has a dash cam in her car).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:24:05, 17/10/20 »
I can understand that application.  Fortunately, in our area we tend to meet collies and terriers and the odd gun dog on our walks as we pass the isolated houses and farms.  They will run out and bark but their tails give them away.  They are just doing their duty and once honour is satifsfied, they go home.  We are too far from major conurbations to get many dog walkers from other areas and most of the local ones don't get much more than a mile from the village.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy