Author Topic: First walk of the New year  (Read 3544 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
First walk of the New year
« on: 01:21:03, 01/01/19 »
So where are you headed for your first walk of the new year.  Looks like the weather is good, here in the SW.  Happy New Year all.  I'm looking forward to the morning? O0

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: First walk of the New year
« Reply #1 on: 09:30:47, 01/01/19 »

I did a 6 mile circuit of the local tracks and bye-ways yesterday to 'finish the year' and plan to do the same (in reverse) today to start the new year.

Happy new year, and may you get all you deserve, and more than you expect in 2019

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:43:30, 01/01/19 »
Made it to the summit of Snowdon last night, and even though it was fairly mild for the time of year, visibility beyond Clogwyn Station was to within a few feet.
A couple from outside London, had made a special journey to climb the mountain, but had been put off by the dense fog and cloud, and they refused to accept my offer of assistance to make it to the top
Had it not been for the railway line to the top, i would have turned around as well, but following the lines all the way to the cafe, i made it at 11.21pm.

I can now see how walkers  get into difficulties, as i tried to navigate from the cafe, to the main trig point on top.

I could follow the steps, but got totally lost, even though i roughly knew where i was, but thankfully i knew the direction to take to find the railway lines back down to safety once again.

It was pretty busy, with four very hardy groups camping at the summit.

They were having a wail of a time, partying, and making a heck of a racket.

Without the railway tracks to follow, then i would have had no idea how i would have got down, but a successful start to 2019.
« Last Edit: 11:47:11, 01/01/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:56:37, 01/01/19 »

I can now see how walkers  get into difficulties, as i tried to navigate from the cafe, to the main trig point on top.

I could follow the steps, but got totally lost, even though i roughly knew where i was, but thankfully i knew the direction to take to find the railway lines back down to safety once again.

It was pretty busy, with four very hardy groups camping at the summit.

They were having a wail of a time, partying, and making a heck of a racket.

Without the railway tracks to follow, then i would have had no idea how i would have got down, but a successful start to 2019.
The racket was probably due to all that whaling.  ;)
Sounds like you need to invest in a gps, folk have come to grief following the railway lines.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:44:13, 01/01/19 »
It was the only safe way to the summit last night.
The cloud was so thick above the Clogwyn Station level,, that everyone was deciding to use the train tracks as a guide.
The real issue, was that the light from my Petzl headtorch, was almost useless in the gloom, you could see ghostly features, but if one had found oneself on the main plateau, opposite where the Pyg and Miners track join the main Llanberis path, navigation would have been far from easy, even with a GPS.

It was a real shame, as apart from the pea soup mist and cloud, temperatures were almost ideal for a New year summit attempt.

I can now see why the London couple decided to make a hasty retreat, even having driven such a huge distance, navigation in pitch darkness by headtorch in almost zero visibility, in very chilly temperatures, losing ones way, which i did at the summit, was not an option.

At least i made it to the summit, but had my headtorch packed in, i would have been in BIG trouble, but because i knew the route to the summit well, i took the chance, and it paid off.
« Last Edit: 12:48:02, 01/01/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:47:12, 01/01/19 »
Not long back from a 5 mile walk with the dog - two beautiful Orkney beaches and a clifftop path, then back along unusually quiet roads. Just the thing to blow the cobwebs away whilst my family continued their slumbers....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:50:26, 01/01/19 »
Sounds magnificent.
Has Maeshowe burial chamber been reopened to tourists.
It was closed for some reason two years ago, which was more than annoying, its on my bucket list of must see British ancient monuments.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:02:33, 01/01/19 »
Just back from a short walk round the local country park. Not only nice to blow the cobwebs away but good to get out of a house full of my sons Uni friends.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:10:05, 01/01/19 »
It was a real shame, as apart from the pea soup mist and cloud, temperatures were almost ideal for a New year summit attempt.

I can now see why the London couple decided to make a hasty retreat, even having driven such a huge distance, navigation in pitch darkness by headtorch in almost zero visibility, in very chilly temperatures, losing ones way, which i did at the summit, was not an option.

At least i made it to the summit, but had my headtorch packed in, i would have been in BIG trouble, but because i knew the route to the summit well, i took the chance, and it paid off.

Sounds like you could so very easily have been calling out the MRT. Sorry to say the obvious but someone with your 'apparent experience' should have turned around long ago, way too many red flags to have pressed on including your own admission that had your headtorch packed in you'd have been in big trouble.
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:39:37, 01/01/19 »
Sounds magnificent.
Has Maeshowe burial chamber been reopened to tourists.
It was closed for some reason two years ago, which was more than annoying, its on my bucket list of must see British ancient monuments.

Maeshowe info here, Dyffryn - https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/maeshowe-chambered-cairn/

The Orkney coast is always magnificent, and no two days are the same. After last night's gale, the offshore wind had flattened the sea and was knocking the tops off the small but perfectly formed waves as they approached the beach.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:41:34, 01/01/19 »
I totally agree, but had it not been for the relative safety of following a known feature of the railway line, then i would most certainly have gone home.
There was no ice or snow, and apart from very thick mist, it was almost ideal conditions for going to the summit.
Ive used the railway line numerous times, when the Mountain railway is out of season, and it is slippery in places, due to the oil,  but if great caution is shown where you are placing your feet, then its pretty safe in the right conditions, and it takes you away from the openness of the main summit plateau.

It was that summit plateau that i knew would be very tricky to navigate, even with GPs or Compass, in such poor visibility.

I am experienced enough to see the potential dangers of traversing a very high mountain in total darkness, but the route i took was well known to me, i knew what to expect.

Saying that, i was still surprised how long it took three of us to reach the station platform, it goes to show how pitch darkness, shocking visibility  and being over cautious where one places ones feet.

I was relived to get back to Clogwyn, as there was no mist or danger below the station tunnel, actually ive seen poorer weather in the hight of summer, compared to last night, it was cool, dry and very little wind.

In hindsight, i was a bit daft attempting the mountain in such poor visibility, but in this instance, i knew my planned route incredibly well, and due to the mild conditions thought it a risk worth taking.

Its the only time ive actually lost my total bearings directly opposite the trig point at the summit, and currently there's a lot of scaffolding around the cafe, due to maintenance work, which made ground conditions difficult in such poor visibility.

I knew where i was, but had lost all sense of direction and coordination, a hasty slow retreat back to the railway was called for.

It scared me a bit, and it was at this moment, that i realised i was a bit out of my comfort level, but i knew the Railway line was very close by SOMEWHERE and a  safety measure back down the mountain.

Had i not known the route so well, then i would most certainly have joined the pair from London.

As walkers we learn by our errors and mistakes, in this instance, i knew i almost took too great a risk.

Had it been typical winter weather, freezing paths to the summit etc, then no way would i have ventured further up the mountain, but i t thankfully was a great start to a New Year.
« Last Edit: 13:55:37, 01/01/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:42:14, 01/01/19 »
[deleted]

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:42:57, 01/01/19 »
Thanks Richard, have a great 2019, and hope for continued good health, to enjoy it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:47:39, 01/01/19 »
I always have 2 head torches in my pack if there is the remotest chance I might get benighted.  In rough country, I have one on my head and one in my hand to better illuminate my footing, it is also less prone to reflected glare in foggy conditions.  As a bonus, if you need to change batteries, you can see what you are doing.  These days in poor visibility I would not dream of setting out without a gps and ideally a preplanned route. I have been out in fog so thick i had to use my gps to find the trig point on the top of Ingleborough from the top of the climb - OK it's not Snowdon but the principle is the same.

To return to the thread.  I am still waiting to do my first proper walk of the New Year.  We have been dog sitting. Mrs N has a filthy cold so I am stuck with dog walking until my daughter turns up to collect it later today.  The dog although elderly enjoys a walk but runs out of steam after 3 to 4 miles so I can't do anything worthwhile.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:04:30, 01/01/19 »
Thank you for that advice, i certainly saw the limitations of wearing just a headtorch in such gloomy conditions.
I recon i might purchase a high powered portable torch for such conditions, any advice on which model from users would be much appreciated.

As for dogs, my mothers friend owns a Newfoundland, which weighs 18Kg more than me, and in the buff i am around 72Kg in weight.

Ive seen smaller Grizzly bears on tv, but thankfully he is very laid back and docile, but according to my mum, smaller dogs are petrified of him.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy