Author Topic: Snowdon on a good day  (Read 2303 times)

MarkT

Snowdon on a good day
« on: 09:37:58, 05/09/19 »
This was my first walk up Snowdon. Weather forecast was good and by 7.30am I set off from the NT campsite nr Lyn Gwynant and headed up The Watkins Path past the waterfalls. My original plan was to head off further up the path and ascend via The South Ridge. However another walker advised that I stick to The Watkins Path as I would get some shade from the sun as I walked up the side of Y Llwedd. This was some good advice as the morning was warming up and there was very little cloud.

My progression was fairly slow as I was just so amazed at the scenery and took so many photo's. One particular mountain caught my eye even before seeing Snowdon. Yr Aran looked amazing and immediately knew that I wanted to go up there.

Snowdon was looking very good and could make out the steeper path up the left hand side

Walking along the easier path before the final push, the views were amazing. I went up a small slope and got my first view of Llyn Llydaw. OMG

Looking across to Crib Goch and the Miners and Pyg Tracks

I was able to see people already at the top of Snowdon and with such lovely weather I guessed it was going to be busy up there.

The summit as expected was busy and at times impossible to get a photo without any people being in it. So I found a quiet little spot on the edge further down, had some lunch and just watched the world go past. This high up I honestly thought I was in Heaven.

The walker that had advised me to stick to The Watkins Path, suggested descending The South Ridge, so that's what I did and this turned out to be my best ever circular walk I think I have ever done. At every stage of the walk I had amazing, sometimes epic views.

Looking over to Llechog and beyond eyeing up more adventures for when I return, as I will definitely be coming back to Snowdonia.

Yr Aran was still on my mind but my holiday plans were flexible, 2 weeks off work, just me and my tent. So I decided I would stay a few days longer and did it 2 days later and will do a TR for that but it was hard work as the weather wasn't quite so kind that day plus a little navigation error(s)  :)

What an amazing day I had.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdon on a good day
« Reply #1 on: 10:24:32, 05/09/19 »
Thanks for sharing Mark glad you had a great walk.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:04:01, 05/09/19 »
The air quality looked superb, what was the view like from the summit ?
Ive only had one truly memorable view, way back in the 1970s, when i was up visiting my grandmother on Anglesey.

By what i can remember, the horizon seemed to go on and on forever, i only wish i had the knowledge at the time to know what i was looking at.

Ive still got my panoramic map, that used to be for sale in the shop on the summit, showing the summits visible from the top of Snowdon on those very rare clear days.

There are several summits in the Scottish highlands that are visible, if you know exactly what your looking at, but those days are pretty rare, usually in the depths of severely cold winters where air clarity is usually exceptional.

Its still nice to have lovely weather to enjoy your first trip up Snowdon.
« Last Edit: 11:11:08, 05/09/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:50:35, 05/09/19 »
A grand clear round and pictures, the low wisps of cloud add to the views here O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:43:27, 05/09/19 »
Lovely pictures - glad that you hit such good conditions. The picture to the W is particularly fine.

Interesting that the clouds seem to linger over the lower hills, both to the SW and to the East.

PS - I used to live in the next valley east from Nant Gwynant, below Moel Siabod (the mountain in the 6th picture).

PPS - I didn't get a view from the top until my TWELTH ascent!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:43:32, 05/09/19 »
Great pics you had nice weather for it O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:19:38, 05/09/19 »
Great pics Mark - and that's a lovely route, particularly the South Ridge, in my opinion - I love it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:37:12, 05/09/19 »
Great pics. They bring back memories. I too have had some memorable views from the Snowdon summit. The best was seeing the sunrise over a cloud inversion, before descending Crib Goch in the early morning light.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:14:28, 05/09/19 »
Fab photos  O0

Snowdonia is special isn't it? We will go back again at some point.
Hate will never win

MarkT

« Reply #9 on: 23:03:33, 05/09/19 »
Thanks for all your comments.

Having such great weather did make it all so much better and want to go back when there are snowy peaks.

I also did another low(ish) level walk from the campsite to Beddgelert and back along the Glaslyn River. Another fine walk with little effort taking in some great views. For those like me who had never been before, I thoroughly recommend the campsite, basic but good fire pits!!

When I go back DA, i'll make sure I shave  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:55:11, 06/09/19 »
Super photos Mark O0  What great weather you had on your first visit. Makes all the difference when you’re somewhere like that 8)

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy