Author Topic: Walking in this heat  (Read 2422 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Walking in this heat
« on: 12:21:42, 24/07/19 »
Is anyone doing much walking in this heat? A short local walk early or late is enough for me.

Doing long distance walks most years I‘ve always dreaded being on a walk when the temperature gets much higher than the mid 20’s as I’m not great in the heat.  I’d much rather have it cold or wet, at least you can put warm or waterproof clothing on, but not much you can do about extreme heat. And then there’s the thunderstorms. Luckily we seem to have so far mostly coincided with cooler wetter weather,usually walking in June or September. The only time we had it really hot was the last two days of Hadrians Wall. The last but one day I got hikers rash badly and my ankles started to swell up. On the last day I wore my walking shoes rather than boots as I correctly predicted my ankles may get worse. It was over 30C the last day but it was flat and a breeze at least. If we still had another day to walk I wouldn’t have been able to. Heading home the following day down the A1 ( airconditioning broken in the car!) we encountered torrential rain and thunderstorms - finished just in time! If we were walking this week I think I would probably have to abandon it.

I remember when we did the C2C in terrible weather, B&Bs near the end were telling us they had quite a few cancellations back in the March when there had had been an unexpected heatwave and people were giving up due to heat exhaustion.  I guess a lot of people do it then f they don’t like the heat!  

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in this heat
« Reply #1 on: 16:37:07, 24/07/19 »
Too hot for me. I get so sweaty. On a recent holiday in Dorset, had to keep walks short because of the heat. Good excuse for a pint though!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:22:07, 24/07/19 »
Too hot for me too.  I went and sat in our gym at work earlier because it's the only room with air conditioning... and I hate air conditioning!

Deffo no walking for me whilst it's this hot and I really feel for anyone who's part-way through a multi-day trip at the moment.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:10:53, 24/07/19 »
Bucking the trend but I love this weather.  I walked on the South Downs today and it was glorious.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:19:26, 24/07/19 »
My thermometer nudged close to 31C here in Dyffryn, and that was in the shade, and unlike recent days, there was little wind. 8)

I did venture out for a short walk to Cwm NantCol this morning, only a distance of around five miles through the lovely country lanes,  but the heat was so savage, it was very unpleasant.

When conditions are this extreme, its advisable to cancel that walk, as it would be virtually impossible to carry sufficient water to combat dehydration.

No walk is vital, and with temperatures set to possibly break all time records for July, with a possibility of 39C in parts of the South East tomorrow, it would be crazy to venture out in 100 F.

If your already prepared for tomorrows walk, then try and remain hydrated, as it will be virtually impossible to satay out of the heat.

I do feel sorry for the emergency services, as they have to work in such temperatures, They have my utmost respect.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:29:08, 24/07/19 »

When conditions are this extreme, its advisable to cancel that walk, as it would be virtually impossible to carry sufficient water to combat dehydration.
Not so.In this heat 2-3 litres is quite adequate to remain hydrated.Soak your shirt before the walk and that will help keep you cool.

I do feel sorry for the emergency services, as they have to work in such temperatures, They have my utmost respect.
 They do a fine job but there are far worse jobs when it comes to heat,ie,working in a steel works,fish and chip shop or kitchen,and sweeping roads,emptying bins.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:33:59, 24/07/19 »
I much prefer the cold to heat, especially when exercising (including walking). I wouldn’t try anything too strenuous in the current temperatures. As a student I worked in the Mr Kipling factory / bakery. As well as putting me off the products for life, I still remember how uncomfortable it was to work in the stifling temperatures.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:38:52, 24/07/19 »
Actually, I remember walking in the French Alps when it was 35 degrees in the valleys. I don’t remember the heat causing me particular problems then. However, that was 19 years and several stones ago.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:41:26, 24/07/19 »
Funny old thing - in Kuwait we worked from 0600 to past 2400hr  for up to 4 weeks at a stretch and somehow it was not as unpleasant as it can be here.  The temperature on the way to work, at dawn, was usually already over 26C, I think it must be a humidity thing as the air was a dry as a bone.
My last trip to Austria was a case in point - on top of the mountain with a light breeze 26C was tolerable but in the valley, without a breath of air, life was quite unpleasant.
Good luck to those in the SE tomorrow, the forecast looks unpleasant.  We are off to Dartmoor where the forecast is better: 21C (18 with wind chill) 60% humidity.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:55:03, 24/07/19 »
I have worked in the UAE in summer. The hotel room air on does manage to get the temperature down to 35 degrees at night. I was once picked up by the hotel car at 1am and the temperature was 42 degrees. 55 degrees in the shade during the day and surprisingly humid - not good for walking.

Last February while at a conference in Perth, the day a friend and I chose to walk up Jacob’s Ladder to King’s Park was the hottest of year at 38 degrees and very humid - not the best choice of activity when there are 242 steps.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:34:13, 24/07/19 »
Should try being a Postie in this heat. I'm a roasty toasty Postie.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:08:23, 24/07/19 »
Happily, it's not so hot in the far SW this week.  Quite pleasant out this evening.  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:41:43, 24/07/19 »
Should try being a Postie in this heat. I'm a roasty toasty Postie.

;D

On Monday and today I walked home from town rather than waiting 28 minutes for the next bus which would then be sitting in the traffic queues due to roadworks. It is almost 3 miles. I beat the bus home by 5 minutes each time. When I got home on Monday and tonight I spent 10 minutes in the shower cooling off so I might as well have just waited for the bus  ::)
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:43:23, 24/07/19 »
.. far worse jobs when it comes to heat,ie,working in a ... fish and chip shop ....

:'(  that'll be me tomorrow afternoon/evening then  :(

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:51:11, 24/07/19 »
Ha! The Beeb weather forecast has just made me chuckle.  After hearing about record breaking temperatures for tomorrow we were reassured that there would be a breeze.... "the kind of breeze you get when you open a fan oven door" was what he said.

Made me laugh out loud that did  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy