Author Topic: I took a tumble today  (Read 1651 times)

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: I took a tumble today
« Reply #15 on: 16:42:19, 02/08/19 »
Has a nasty fall on the North York Moors when on the edge of a small cliff, looking for the onward path, stepped on a bit of ground that wasn't there. The gap in the rock was covered by heather. My left leg disappeared into the hole and with the sudden deprivation of support of its friend, my right leg bent out sideways at the knee at about 90 degrees. I could not get leverage to extricate myself and if I had been walking alone, I would still be there. Fortunately the friend I was with was able to help me out. As we had only gone about half a mile, I was able to hobble back to the car with the aid of my trusty Lekis. Strained tendons meant I had to wear a velcro boot thing for a while but no lasting damage seems to have been done. Think I was probably quite lucky. That walk is still on my bucket list!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:49:46, 02/08/19 »
The worst injury was coming down Plover Hill off the back of Pen-Y-Ghent.  I slipped on some extremely well lubricated mud concealed by a veneer of grass.  A sudden complete and utter loss of friction caused me to rotate about my centre of mass before landing with all my weight on my elbow.  The shock went up my arm and I honestly thought I had broken or at least dislocated my shoulder.  It was a long walk back to the car, which was parked S of Horton, followed by a cautious one handed drive home.  Fortunately my auto-diagnosis was incorrect but I had a frozen shoulder for a fair few weeks.
Top points for comic effect was heading downhill off Fremington Edge on my backside with my passage facilitated by deep frozen sheep and rabbit poo acting as ball bearings  At least 10 yards before I stopped - definite change of trousers job.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:41:29, 02/08/19 »
On the first (very wet) day (in fact in the first half hour) of our very first long distance walk (Dales Way), I slipped off the first stile we went over and then slipped in very deep puddle. I had an extremely large bruise on my behind, a sore hip and ankle and a wet foot and realised my fabric boots were no good. Obviously it didn’t put me off long distance walking, having now done 7!  ;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:15:42, 02/08/19 »
I fell down a glacier in the Alps, having just got to the top and relaxed my concentration. I have slipped on wet grass near the car after a walk in the Lake District. I have also tripped over my new walking poles on Bennachie, falling flat on my face and losing some skin and blood from my hands. I have also managed an almost complete somersault (unintended) on the descent from a Munro near Glenshee.

I have never fallen while climbing, scrambling or ridge walking. I think the easier bits can be more dangerous, as we tend to concentrate less.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:43:07, 02/08/19 »
Thankfully the only times ive taken a fall, has been on grass.
The last time was ascending the path from Pen Yr Ole Wen towards Glan Dena, and due to tiredness and possible dehydration , i accidentally dug my toes into the steep ground, and took one heck of a tumble.
It all happened so quickly, that i did not have time to break my fall, and fell sidewards, thankfully onto soft forgiving grass.

It still took me ages to recover and gather my composure, and with a nasty cut to my shin, i was thankfully within ten minutes of my parked car, so hobbled back to civilisation.

Had it been onto rock or concrete, then it would have been far more serious.

The other time, was descending the mountainside near Craig Pwllfa towards Usk bridge, in the Central Beacons.

I got blown over, and landed face first, thankfully on grass once again.

That was well over thirty years ago, but you remember such instances for years to come.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:06:58, 03/08/19 »
Apart from acouple of non serious trips, most of my falls have been whilst running, you go down really fast and hard and usually lose a bit of skin, however I'd rather fall when walking or running than cycling! :-X

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:14:51, 03/08/19 »
Apart from my fall skiing earlier this year, I've managed to avoid falling over too often. I can only thing of three falls, I managed to slip over on some slushy snow in Hannover city centre I landed in a huge puddle, I felt such a fool :-[ . A couple of years a go on one of my backpacking trips to Sweden, I was crossing a boulder field when one large rock rolled over as I stood on it. I landed on my chest and with the weight of my pack on top of me it really knocked the wind out of me. On another trip in Sweden I was just getting off a ferry after crossing a big lake in some very rough weather. Just as I went to steep onto the quay the ferry lurched up and then down very quickly. I almost fell down between the boat and the dock. Luckily, a man behind me in the queue managed to grab hold of my pack and saved me.       

Kidder44

« Reply #22 on: 19:43:40, 03/08/19 »
I quite often end up doing a pretty good impression of a beetle, on its back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy