Author Topic: GREAT little places and a special moment.  (Read 1806 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: GREAT little places and a special moment.
« Reply #15 on: 10:51:50, 16/08/19 »
There used to be place on a nearby hill to my childhood home that I always thought special, we knew of it as Queen Eleanora's Bower. Haughmond Hill is a shallow hill on the east side of Shrewsbury, it is really more of a west facing escarpment. We always thought Queen Eleanora's Bower to be on a knoll that is overshadowed the two sides of a cleft in the hill side on either side. 50 or more years ago it was a place with presence; the knoll had a clump of Scots pine sheltering the knoll, which had a lawn like grass covering maintained by the local rabbit colony.
Sadly now it is now trashed. There is no magic there anymore, two fires have burnt out the trees and it takes a determined onslaught through brambles and briars to make the summit of the knoll.

Locally no one knew why it was called Queen Eleanora's Bower, but the name was well enough known for it to have been implanted in my mind long before I came into possession of an ordnance survey map. All sort of romantic connotations were attached to the place and I suppose it would have taken a determined foray into the local library and archives with some scholarly skills to have found out that it was an archaeological site known as a Ringwork.
Information so easily obtained today with the internet but the romantic notions from my youth will be my treasured memory and the pretty place it once was, is the picture that remains with me, not the tawdry location it now is.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy