Author Topic: Wild campers group broken up by Police  (Read 2836 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Wild campers group broken up by Police
« on: 22:11:14, 24/03/20 »

Moment police descend on Snowdonia walkers ignoring lockdown rules

This is the moment police cracked down on a group of campers who were out in Snowdonia in defiance of new government lock down rules. 

The walkers, who have not been identified, were seen carrying camping gear towards the reservoir at Cwm Ystradllyn near Porthmadog.

The lake, which supplies drinking water to a large part of the Llyn Peninsula, is about four miles from the nearest main road.

Five police officers, in three police vehicles, were at the scene for over an hour. Locals said they realised something was happening when the police vehicles were seen driving quickly along the narrow lanes with blue lights flashing.

One told North Wales Live: "They were planning on camping by the reservoir that supplies drinking water to the peninsula.

“There are no toilets or anything up here and they had dogs. I dread to think what they would leave behind."
Writing on Facebook Jess Williams said: "I hope they're charged with wasting police time - absolute waste of our resources!"

Linda Shutt added: "I think this sort of thing is going to be a problem now formal campsites have been closed. There will still be people who think the lock down rules don't apply to them and who come out wild camping illegally in more remote areas."

And Beccie Stewart said simply: "What absolute idiots!"

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/moment-police-descend-snowdonia-walkers-17973151

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild campers group broken up by Police
« Reply #1 on: 08:30:32, 25/03/20 »
They don't sound like the wild campers like us and others on this board, more like the type that leave lots of litter, cans and bottles about. Still, it applies to us all and it's interesting to see the determined response of the police to the situation.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:09:47, 25/03/20 »
 Not really the kind of place a proper wild camper would use as its too near the road and public view.By the description in the article it seems they might be wild crappers!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:15:28, 25/03/20 »
The strange law of unintended consequences strikes again
These numpties would be probably camping there Coronavirus or not but as it's now forbidden they have been stopped.
If things were different we would most likely be reading one of those " campers leave piles of rubbish and broken tents " stories

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:32:43, 25/03/20 »
The strange law of unintended consequences strikes again
These numpties would be probably camping there Coronavirus or not but as it's now forbidden they have been stopped.
If things were different we would most likely be reading one of those " campers leave piles of rubbish and broken tents " stories

They were probably encouraged by the novelty of them all being off school / college / work at the same time with nowhere to go and nothing else to do, added to which it was up to 19C in Wales yesterday. But it will give the rest of us a bad name, the public will view all "wild campers" as one and the same.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:24:04, 25/03/20 »
To coin an old naval phrase: hang ‘em, flog ‘em, then flog their kit.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:28:44, 25/03/20 »
In my experience of life I've learned that people are complicated, what you or I might listen to and respond to, might be the same, or it might not. That's a reality in my book! The other 'reality' for me is that people are different and how we work out what to do or not do is very much an individual process. Some people are followers, some people like authority and like being told what to do, some people don't and some people will actually rebel against it. Some people know how to work with authority but some people don't or just can't. Some people understand information but much of the information which we might think is clear, for others, it's not at all, many people just interpret what they think the information is and then act accordingly. Simply put, people are not the same no matter what the tabloids tell us! We are all individuals! In my case I'm not surprised that people are doing what others might moan about, it happens in life every day. As human beings, I think we can sometimes get personal comfort if we can blame other people for the problems that are going on around us.

My personal problem with the 'official message' is that it is still ambiguous (take the construction debate today, it's a muddled message) and if you are that inclined to seeing messages in this way I'm sure our own behaviour in our own mind can be easily justified.

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 11:15:22, 25/03/20 »
It needs a concentrated poster, media campaign to reach everyone. Lots of people do not watch the news and current affairs programmes. Although you would need to be on Planet Zog not to know something is going on- unfortunately some people are.  We aren't too far away from the military patrolling to keep folks of the streets.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:42:14, 25/03/20 »
We aren't too far away from the military patrolling to keep folks of the streets.
  Add it to the list - foot and mouth, firemen's strike, dustbins, terrorism, delivering medical supplies, humanitarian relief.  We barely had time left to kill people.  Perhaps the odd strategically placed sniper would give people the idea.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #9 on: 14:43:41, 25/03/20 »
It needs a concentrated poster, media campaign to reach everyone. Lots of people do not watch the news and current affairs programmes. Although you would need to be on Planet Zog not to know something is going on- unfortunately some people are.  We aren't too far away from the military patrolling to keep folks of the streets.

There are not enough soldiers to do that effectively.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:01:38, 25/03/20 »
They probably read that newspaper article about travelling to a remote area to self isolate and were following their advice.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:29:37, 25/03/20 »
I don’t agree that the advice is confusing. It is very clear - stay home, unless you are undertaking one of a short list of essential things and keep at least 2 metres away from anyone else. Could it be any simpler?

I accept that there will always be one or two issues around the edge that need greater clarification (e.g. construction workers), but for 99.9% it is abundantly clear. Those who don’t or won’t get it are being irresponsible and selfish.

Perhaps this post should have gone in the rant thread?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:54:53, 25/03/20 »
Oh, dear, our halo might have dropped. Beware of hikers especially Peak District ones!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/farmer-punched-peak-district-walker-coronavirus-advice-a4397746.html

White, fair hair, anyone we know?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:33:10, 25/03/20 »
To coin an old naval phrase: hang ‘em, flog ‘em, then flog their kit.

You forgot Keelhauling.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:28:25, 25/03/20 »
The Police broke up a group of wild campers?  What did they do?  Sing "don't stand so close to me" to them?

I'm sorry  :-[

..... I'll get mi coat.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy