Author Topic: Recommended down jackets  (Read 1043 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Recommended down jackets
« on: 18:07:10, 26/09/19 »
My son and his wife are thinking about buying me a warm down jacket and have asked me what brand/type I would like? I have no idea what to suggest, except that if possible, I'd like to have one long enough to cover my backside. I've read a few reports, the Rab Summit seems to be the most recommended, but are their others that are cheaper and just or nearly as good? What about the Alpkit models for example? Can anyone make some suggestions, please.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommended down jackets
« Reply #1 on: 16:04:34, 29/09/19 »
Any jacket manufactured by either Rab or Montane.
My Montane Down jacket, is more of a casual autumn weather affair, certainly not warm enough for the depths of winter, but its nicely made.

Choose carefully, and ask your wife, does she love you enough to buy you a RAB down jacket.
RAB are recognised as one of the leaders in the down jacket market.

Try one on first, for size, cough and blink quickly for the advertised price, but their beautifully made, and should last many years of use.

If you know you will get a lot of use from one, then get a RAB jacket.

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 16:14:03, 29/09/19 »
I use a Microlight alpine extra long, covers my backside so no bum freeze there. As a reinforcement I have a Microlight vest too, goes on under or over the jacket. The two items are far more use to me than a single very warm jacket.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:45:03, 29/09/19 »
For a true down jacket, I love my Mountain Equipment Lightline. I've had it since 2004(ish) and its been through blizzards in the Cairngorms, frosty days in the Fens, January staff meetings before they turn he heating on, etc.
It is really warm, windproof and water-repellent enough to cope with snow. It is reasonably light and packs reasonably small.

For synthetic, I use a Paramo Torres jacket. Had it since about 2010 (so older version than in the link). It isn't as warm as the Lightline, but is pretty waterproof and still warm even if wet. Packs really small and is very light.

Of course, for working in truly brutal conditions I tend to wear a Buffalo Special Six.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:13:47, 29/09/19 »
I have had a Rab Andian jacket since they first came out in the mid 80's. Used it for Alpine and higher biving out in night time temperature down to minus 30 C and when skiing in Northern Scandinavia in similar temperatures. I hardly ever use it in the UK, here the weather is just too damp.

For use predominantly in the Scottish Highlands in winter I use a two jacket combination. First a sleeveless vest and then a long sleeved and hooded jacket. Both filled with primaloft. Much more versatile and better in the damp, plus they can be machine washed easily.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:02:21, 29/09/19 »
Thanks for your replies. I'm seriously thinking of the Rab Alpine, the Rab Summit or the North Face Summit. Undecided at the moment.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:13:54, 30/09/19 »
It may not be an issue for you but perhaps investigate 'ethically sourced down' to avoid a product containing down which has been plucked from living birds.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:18:52, 30/09/19 »
It may not be an issue for you but perhaps investigate 'ethically sourced down' to avoid a product containing down which has been plucked from living birds.

Wholeheartedly agree with this - I know Mountain Equipment ethically source.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy