Author Topic: My Walking Plans For 2020  (Read 1370 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Yorkshiremarv

Re: My Walking Plans For 2020
« Reply #1 on: 16:48:11, 16/12/19 »
yes to get out more. I had big plans to do more walks this year but with starting a new career i failed miserably, as with this time last year my dreams are to get out into the countryside more often. Been in east yorks i wanna do tabular/cleveland or wolds way, think my failings are trying to get my wife to join me!  O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:03:07, 16/12/19 »
My plan is to not injure my hip so badly that I wipe out 7 months of the year. And ...

More walks in the Peak District, an area I’ve been guilty of neglecting in the last couple of years.

I might have a jaunt to one of the Canary Islands for part of the GR131 in January or February.

I’m hoping to be going to Denver for work in the Spring so will tack on some leave and get out in the mountains.

I’ve got a list of Lake District walks I’ve not done for ages which I’ll be ticking off.

And finally: I’m going to a wedding in Pitlochry in the Summer, it would be crazy not to have a couple of days walking in the Cairngorms.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:39:14, 16/12/19 »
I do like to get away for 2+ weeks on a long walk somewhere every year but my wife isn't too good at the moment so I'm putting everything on hold at the moment and will review in the spring.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:47:47, 16/12/19 »
There is already an extensive thread on this subject here.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39417.0

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:51:08, 16/12/19 »
There is already an extensive thread on this subject here.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39417.0
I should have remembered - my mention of the GR131 was inspired by that very thread.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:28:24, 16/12/19 »
Something I’ll be brooding on in next couple of weeks.

Lee,
Notice you’re thinking of doing some walks based on a train to Leeds, then bus...

If you ever fancy a really easy walk in that area...either because conditions underfoot atrocious in fields or whatever...worth thinking about just leaving train station, going under the Dark Arches (adjacent to station itself) onto Leeds/ Liverpool canal...and just walking out on canal until you get tired/ fed up, then get a bus back.

Perhaps surprisingly for a canal walk once a couple of miles out from city centre you get some outstanding sweeping views...also easy to include a visit to the Armoury.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:30:37, 16/12/19 »
Something I’ll be brooding on in next couple of weeks.

Lee,
Notice you’re thinking of doing some walks based on a train to Leeds, then bus...

If you ever fancy a really easy walk in that area...either because conditions underfoot atrocious in fields or whatever...worth thinking about just leaving train station, going under the Dark Arches (adjacent to station itself) onto Leeds/ Liverpool canal...and just walking out on canal until you get tired/ fed up, then get a bus back.

hello Paul; i did a quick afternoon walk in the summer out to Kirkstall Abbey. I'm sure There'd be some good walking further on.

Perhaps surprisingly for a canal walk once a couple of miles out from city centre you get some outstanding sweeping views...also easy to include a visit to the Armoury.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:39:59, 16/12/19 »
Lee,
Yes...you’re right...there is some good walking further on. Earlier in the year I did a series of walks based on Leeds/ Liverpool canal, starting at Leeds end. I think furthest I got “out” from Leeds rail way station was about 30 miles...it defeated my ingenuity at that point to get back to Leeds city centre by public transport.

But... know by reading a ton of your posts that you’re more knowledge-able than I on bus system...so suspect you’ll break the “30 mile barrier”.

Paul

Toxicbunny

« Reply #9 on: 22:32:29, 06/01/20 »
My plan is the Lyke Wake walk 40 miles in a day. I'm not planning until April as it can get boggy past the Lion inn section ? I've walked it up to that section in parts. I also am looking at another trip to lakes and trossachs. In between that I live near north Yorkshire moors so I'm on there every week.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:16:58, 07/01/20 »

GordonHorwich

« Reply #11 on: 14:17:07, 05/02/20 »
Robert Louis Stevenson Trail (GR70) in June and hopefully something else later in the year. If my medial ligament recovers, maybe a 50 miler as a qualifier for next year's LDWA 100.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy