Author Topic: TR - Return to Foxglove Wood  (Read 1733 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - Return to Foxglove Wood
« on: 10:57:37, 25/06/20 »
This walk was planned so that I could go back and see the amazing display of foxgloves that I had seen on my last long walk.
The route, if you are remotely interested, was, Great Gaddesden - Jockey End - Studham - Holywell - Whipsnade - Dunstable Downs - Kensworth Quarry - Church End - Kensworth - Markyate - Flamstead - Great Gaddesden.

I had planned to do this walk on Monday as that was supposed to be the coolest day of the week but the car started to misbehave so it spent Monday and Tuesday in the garage. On Wednesday, with new clutch fitted, I set off early for Great Gaddesden.
The foxgloves were still magnificent and they still don't come across in a photo.

I decided to give this path a miss and took a detour which didn't add much distance but did mean I walked right next to the local sewerage works

Pretty churches at Studham

and at Whipsnade.

Useful gate.

As you come up on to the edge of the Downs you are completely enclosed and then suddenly the world opens up before you.

The visitors centre had a kiosk open and it was lovely to have a drink which was actually cold.

The next section of the walk was marred somewhat by the sound, and occasional sight, of a large chalk quarry.

But the area was awash with wild flowers.

Much of the walk was through fields of ripening crops or in small woods.

I came to a wood called Yew Tree Spring, in my head this was going to be a lovely spot to sit and cool off, like Yew Tree Tarn in the Lakes. Instead it was a muddy ooze.

I passed through the grounds of Gaddesden Place which is a private house.

I then had the frightening prospect of crossing the B440. A gate from a field lets you down a step on to a 6"x24" platform surrounded by trees on a blind bend. To see anything at all you have to step on to the road to discover a car hurtling towards you. When you can cross the first lane you just have to go for it as you can not see enough of the traffic from your left to know what will be happening by the time you get there. Really scary.

I paused by the side of the beautiful River Gade. There were 2 families with their kids stripped off enjoying the cold clear water so no pictures and, lovely though it looked, I decided I couldn't get in too. I did take off my top soak it and put it back on. It had been a very warm day.

Stats
Distance - 20.5 miles or 33km
Time - 8 hours
Temperature - 32C or blooming boiling
Liquid drunk - about 3.5l or not enough
Pee breaks taken  - none

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Return to Foxglove Wood
« Reply #1 on: 11:17:25, 25/06/20 »
Wow , well done for the distance walked in that heat yesterday . Some of the fields with crops are a joy at the moment .  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:15:37, 25/06/20 »
Looks lovely Ridge. All those miles in that heat! Too much for me. The foxgloves remind me of the Two Moors
Way round about this time last year, we didn’t see that many though.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:26:47, 25/06/20 »
Thanks G&P and RR. It was lovely but really a bit too hot even for me and I like to walk in the sun. I had lots of water with me and also passed a couple of shops and got even more.
I did look at the stats and think that I was a bit slower than I would expect to be but then on second thoughts I decided that, in the heat, I should probably cut myself some slack.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:41:44, 25/06/20 »
Foxgloves are lovely - I'm pleased to say that loads of seedlings are popping up in our new garden - should be a good display next year.

I particularly like that shot of the path running through the field of parched barley (17th photo).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:28:05, 25/06/20 »
Nice pics Ridge, love the wild flowers photo and the photo of the crops particularly O0

Are you in training for The Pennine Way? Have you been able to book any accommodation or are you going to wild camp?
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:38:17, 25/06/20 »
Thanks Richard and April.

Pennine Way training is exactly what it was April. We have got 13 out of 16 nights organised, 2 tentative bookings and then there is the first night in Cowling where there is nothing doing at all but we have a cunning plan.

If it wasn't for Covid we would have been in Horton in Ribblesdale this evening.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:49:07, 25/06/20 »
That is good news that you have got sorted for most of it. I look forward to hearing more details of your cunning plan when you do your trip report  :)

You would have had some pretty good weather if you'd been able to do it as planned but with the thunder storms forecast for the next few days perhaps things will turn out for the best in the end.
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:12:31, 25/06/20 »
Great pics and a very long walk in that heat.  O0

Lovely barley fields and the paths draw the eye through the pictures.
I know I never drink enough in such heat despite good intentions. I walked 15 miles today starting at 11:15am and drank what seemed like plenty of liquid, I never felt particularly thirsty, but now at 9pm I still don't feel like peeing - not good!.  :o
Edited to add: my top was covered in white patches where I'd lost salt.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:25:57, 25/06/20 »
I look forward to hearing more details of your cunning plan when you do your trip report  :)
It's not that cunning to be honest.
If we feel it is OK to be in his car with him then my Dad will come and drive us to his house in Sheffield and then bring us back in the morning. If we can't be in his car we'll wild camp and then, if we don't need the kit later on, my Dad can come an take it away. Either way it is my Dad who does all the work!

Great pics and a very long walk in that heat.  O0
Thanks VG, I wouldn't have gone quite that far on such a day if I wasn't Pennine Way planning.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:32:48, 25/06/20 »
Either way it is my Dad who does all the work!

Sounds cunning to me  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:59:28, 25/06/20 »
Lovely pics Ridge..but once again I have to say, walking in that heat you must be mad ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:19:53, 25/06/20 »
you must be mad ;)
Yep, fair comment.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:24:06, 25/06/20 »

then there is the first night in Cowling where there is nothing doing at all but we have a cunning plan.

Edale to Cowling isn’t that about 60 miles? Or do you mean Crowden?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:34:02, 25/06/20 »
Edale to Cowling isn’t that about 60 miles? Or do you mean Crowden?
Just a short 60 mile first day, don't want to over do it.

I did mean Crowden, I must be suffering from heat stroke  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy