Author Topic: Gore-tex proofing  (Read 3725 times)

marmot

Gore-tex proofing
« on: 12:08:57, 25/02/07 »
Some time ago there was a very interesting article in Trail magazine effectively advocating that we should use standard fabric conditioner instead of (very) expensive proofing agents for our breathable fabrics.
Recently I put this to a salesman in a very well know Keswick gear shop (famous for it's quality CS), he became quite defensive, suggesting that the fabric conditioner would eventually break down and destroy my Gore-tex jacket, he also rubbished other proofers other than the only type sold in the shop.
A likely story I think, any thoughts or new research I haven't seen yet?

titaniumdude

Re: Gore-tex proofing
« Reply #1 on: 14:18:54, 25/02/07 »
I tried the comfort stuff that trail recommended since it worked out only a fraction of the cost of using nikwax or grangers and thought it was pretty useless.  My jacket wetted out in no time the next time I went out resulting in predictable condensation build up.  Immediately gave the jacket a dousing of tx direct on return to home and restored the dwr.  I'm interested to hear other folks experiences with this stuff.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

marmot

Re: Gore-tex proofing
« Reply #2 on: 22:37:23, 25/02/07 »
I've just tried the fabric conditioner (I'd ran out of Nikwax) and haven't had time to test it out yet, I'll report back when it gets a good wetting.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy