Author Topic: Looking for trails + estimated times: Darlington-Newcastle-Jedburgh-Edinburgh  (Read 1103 times)

Andy at Focallocal

As the title says. Anyone here know of any routes between these locations, and an estimate of how long it takes to walk the trail.  I'm planning on walking from London to Edinburgh and passing through each of these towns on the way to run an activity to promote the launch our a Public Happiness and Well-being app our team of volunteers has been building.  I'd much prefer to walk scenic trails than alongside roads where possible.   Here's the full planned route:  
London
Stevenage
Cambridge
Peterborough
Grantham
Newark on Trent
Doncaster
York
Darlington
Newcastle
Jedburgh
Edinburgh

I'd love your help if you know any routes,
Andy
« Last Edit: 23:11:17, 30/05/18 by Andy at Focallocal »

beefy

• Veteran Member
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

mananddog

• Veteran Member

You can follow the coast from Newcastle to Edinburgh on the coastal path and the John Muir way. You could get from York to the coast at Saltburn by getting onto  the Cleveland Way near Sutton Bank and follow the coast to Newcastle - the bit between Middlesborough and Newcastle not picturesque in places but doable.

Newark to York there is the Trent Valley way then the Wolds way and Wilberforce way.

From Peterborough to just south of Newark there are a few LDPS the Viking Way, Hereward way, Torpel way and the Macmillan way to name two.

These are way marked trail but are not direct by any means so will take longer than you were anticipating.

You really need to do some research. Look up a national mapping software such as Walkhighlands.

When I do my long distance walks I do months of research and choose my own route based on my own preferences

Andy at Focallocal

thanks man and dog. btw, i'm also planning to adopt a dog. if that goes through before the hike, would you take a youngish, energetic dog 1-2 years on a walk like that  (with a carry pack so i can give it a rest if he/she gets tired)? or do you think it might injure a dog? ..how does your dog do on long hikes?

mananddog

• Veteran Member
1 yr old is too young. Their bones have not ossified and over use can cause damage. 2 is a minimum for a long trek. My dog is a border collie and his first big trek wad when he was 2 and a half. His biggest trek was 1200 miles in 60 days. His longest ever day was over 50 miles when he was 3. You need to find out more about your dog, his ability and his food requirements before setting off. You also need to have a well trained dog with 100% recall and steady around farm animals.

My dog is now too old to come on big walks and I miss him.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
The Durham coastal path is really rather nice after Hartlepool.Goes up to South Shields then you could ferry across the Tyne and pick up the Hadrians wall path into Newcastle.After Newcastle the Northumberland coast in wonderful apart from a short stretch near Lynemouth

mananddog

• Veteran Member
And you could follow Hadrian 's wall to the Pennine way to the border fence above Byrness then take Dere street Roman road -really a muddy track to Jedburgh then follow various routes to Peebles then West Linton, over the Pentland hills to the Forth/Clyde canal to Edinburgh.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
If you look on the LDWA website you will get lots of info about long distance walks, and you will be able to see how to link them up to follow your route.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy