Author Topic: Pockets/holders to attach to rucksack straps?  (Read 3336 times)

JazzMan2018

Pockets/holders to attach to rucksack straps?
« on: 18:47:23, 11/09/20 »
Hi,

At the moment I keep things like map/snacks/phone inside my waterproofs or fleece, and the hip belt stops them falling out

Are there any pockets/pouches that can be attached to shoulder straps to make access to these sort of things easy?

Current approach wont work with a single layer eg t-shirt and also if I forget to take the items out, then they fall out when I undo the hip belt!

Thanks for any info

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Pockets/holders to attach to rucksack straps?
« Reply #1 on: 19:02:24, 11/09/20 »
I use trouser pockets to I keep things I am likely to want.  Craghoppers are good, mine have 2 double hip pockets with zip closure, a back pocket and a thigh pocket that will take a map and has an integral phone pocket.  If my gps is not clipped to my rucksack, I attach the lanyard to a belt loop and clip it on to the edge of a pocket.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:21:25, 11/09/20 »
I use a bumbag for snacks, keys, loose change etc. I have in the past used a shoulder strap attachment for a water bottle, and I have an OMM chest pouch for paper maps or more snacks.

OMM make good quality shoulder strap pouches.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:09:27, 11/09/20 »
Just type in 'Molle pouch' on ebay, and you will find all manner of bags etc for attaching to webbing, belts, rucksack straps etc.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:25:01, 11/09/20 »
Paul at treadlite gear is the man for these and lots of other really useful goodies. Really good quality and service and you'd be supporting a UK cottage manufacturer

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:12:41, 12/09/20 »
Jazzman - Your post reminded me that when I first hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc a few years ago I saw a group of Italian hikers and had what looked like some really good shoulder strap pouches. I looked and admired them but I didn't ask the brand, wished I had. When I started to look for them online when I returned home I couldn't find anything which resembled their design so in the end, I gave up.

From memory they were about 8" long and waterproof, worked by zips and looked stylish as well, my observation was that they had been designed to clip on a shoulder strap rather than being permanently fixed.

After giving up on them I bought an OMM chest rucksack which was fine for a while but it had one drawback, it wasn't waterproof.

And as I evolved in what I felt was necessary to take with me when hiking, I gradually lost interest in the idea of of shoulder pouches.
Ive tried a waist strap bag as well but I stopped using it because it was often empty.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:16:36, 12/09/20 »

Are there any pockets/pouches that can be attached to shoulder straps to make access to these sort of things easy?

I have what I affectionately call my "sporran" which attaches to the waist straps of my rucksack - big enough for my phone and camera, plus a few snacks.  It's basically a bum bag with belt loops rather than it's own belt.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:04:51, 12/09/20 »
I have what I affectionately call my "sporran" which attaches to the waist straps of my rucksack - big enough for my phone and camera, plus a few snacks.  It's basically a bum bag with belt loops rather than it's own belt.

That sounds interesting, Mel.
Is it any particular brand? Still available?
(So long as it doesn't actually look like a sporran!)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:28:36, 12/09/20 »
It's one of these fernman:

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/accessories/rfid-travel-document-wallet

Mine's black though.  I got it from GO a couple of years ago.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:39:46, 13/09/20 »
Ah, Lifeventure, a well-known make. Thank you, Mel, I shall look closer at that.

It doesn't look like a sporran, and I'm relieved it isn't pink either  :)

Stube

« Reply #10 on: 09:27:54, 13/09/20 »
The various pound shops used to do small belt bags for phones/cameras - but I haven't seen any for a while  :(

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:07:30, 13/09/20 »
The various pound shops used to do small belt bags for phones/cameras - but I haven't seen any for a while  :(

I saw plenty like that on eBay yesterday (more than £1, though!) but Mel's is the first decent-sized one I've seen - so far.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:26:08, 13/09/20 »
I bought something like this from ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Molle-Utility-Admin-Tool-Pouch-Belt-Bag-Army-Military-Black-Green-Tan-Medic-UK/193174837287?hash=item2cfa1e1827:g:uUwAAOSwATddsgMf&var=493365216894

Fits on to my wide webbing 'dog walking' belt, and on to my backpacking rucksack waist belt.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GoneWest

« Reply #13 on: 13:39:47, 13/09/20 »
This Molle stuff is great (if you don't mind the weight penalty of rugged stuff) but it's all designed for attachment to horizontal straps. The shoulder straps of rucksacks are, in principle, good places for small pouches but, unless you wear them sideways, Molle pouches require that horizontal straps (perhaps those little Velcro ones) be wrapped around the shoulder straps first. Then you've got to stop those slipping down, so that means clamps or pins or some hard sewing. It's all a bit of a pain!

Spellbinder

« Reply #14 on: 15:14:49, 13/09/20 »
Rohan do an RFID waist pack that's very similar to that LifeVenture one if you can't find one of those anywhere

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy