Author Topic: Quick SWCP question  (Read 1958 times)

Dread

Quick SWCP question
« on: 13:55:27, 08/08/20 »
So I'm staying with the family near Lee Bay in North Devon and fancy a walk along a section of the SWCP. I can get to the Valley of the Rocks easily so would the panel recommend heading towards Minehead or Lands End. I don't mind ups and downs and can probably do ten miles or so before having to get back. Any advice appreciated as I don't know the area at all.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Quick SWCP question
« Reply #1 on: 14:45:23, 08/08/20 »
I would go towards Lands End. However going towards Minehead you could visit Culbone Church but that is probably about the limit of your mileage of 20 miles round trip. You will enjoy it whichever way you go, don't forget sunscreen, hat and water!
Edit: I thought you were walking 10 miles and returning on foot but that may not be the case, so I would stick to my thought of walking towards Lands End.
« Last Edit: 14:56:52, 08/08/20 by harland »

Warbler

« Reply #2 on: 14:51:16, 08/08/20 »
Combe Martin to Woolacombe would be a great walk but it’s about 14 miles. This would take you past Widmouth Bay, through Ilfracombe, through Lee Bay, around Bull Point and Morte Point and into Woolacombe. You could shorten this to 8ish miles by starting at Ilfracombe. Or you could just finish at Lee Bay.

Another option could be Valley of the Rocks to Combe Martin, about 12 miles. This is a tough one though, and includes in and out of Heddons Mouth and the highest point on the SWCP -  Great Hangman (about 900ft I think).

Both great walks.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:18:40, 08/08/20 »
There are good circular walks from Hunter's Moon.  It is now an NT property.  The Hobby Drive to Woody Bay and back by the SWCP is pleasant.

Pre Covid there was a bus service leaving Porlock Weir around 0930 back to Minehead so you could leave the car in the car park  by the pub, get the bus to the start of the SWCP and walk back.
The section from Ilfracombe the Coombe Martin is a bit naff so I would give that a miss but just E of Coombe Martin you could do a circular over Great and Little Hangman - highest cliffs in England.  There is free parking off the coast road on the way the Hunter's Moon.
If you search ViewRanger looking for routes with the short code Nthce you will find the routes I have recorded in that area.  They are also on the OS app. look for routes YYMMDD Title - they are are often mine.  The recording date in ViewRanger at the end of the rote description wlll confirm it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #4 on: 12:00:06, 09/08/20 »
Thanks for the replies everyone. This forum is great for straight forward advice I find. The bus  to Ilfracombe stops near Coombe Martin so I think I'll get an early one and attempt to walk back to Lee Bay. Sounds like a good challenge. Maybe too tough but there are lots of escape routes if I get knackered. Just need a bit of cloud and a nice breeze. I'm looking forward to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:46:44, 09/08/20 »
There is a good circular W from Lee Bay with some super climbs en route to Morte Point.  Take the FP inland from Lee Bay up Borough Valley through the woods then W via Damage Barton to Mortehoe.  Pick up the SWCP at the bottom of the hill from Mortehoe on the way to Woolacombe and follow the SWCP back to Lee Bay.  I have done it serveral times, very enjoyable and by and large it is well signed.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #6 on: 16:19:03, 09/08/20 »
Thanks Ninthace, I'll give that a go. It'll be good to walk in the woods if it's hot. I walked down to Lee Bay from Caffyn Farm through the woods yesterday so I probably crossed that path.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:01:31, 09/08/20 »
Thanks Ninthace, I'll give that a go. It'll be good to walk in the woods if it's hot. I walked down to Lee Bay from Caffyn Farm through the woods yesterday so I probably crossed that path.
Freebie for you  https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/2175484/180604-Mortehoe-Lee
It is also available on ViewRanger but it will cost you!
https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjA0Nzk0Mg==?ref=51.18476033853946|-4.207189328371763|17
NB it has a slight short cut from the coast the Mortehoe but you can fix that
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #8 on: 18:38:38, 09/08/20 »
Ah, that's interesting, there are two Lee Bays on that bit of coastline. I'm near the small one just west of Lynton. I still like the look of that walk though, just need to sort the transport out.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:32:47, 09/08/20 »
Oh that Lee Bay

I have this one accessiable from Lee Bay - great views and a pub half way round if you start from the Woody Bay end.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1909464/170822-Heddons-Mouth

Or a more challenging version of the usual Valley of the Rocks walks
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1910452/170502-Woody-Bay-Valley-Rocks

I can give you some routes between Lee Bay and Combe Martin if you want e.g. Great Hangman
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #10 on: 22:42:15, 09/08/20 »
You're spoiling me! The Woody Bay Valley of Rocks walk looks great, I think that I'll do that tomorrow. Got a free day on Tuesday before we head back up North so I was thinking about walking from Lee Bay to Coombe Martin along the SWCP. I'm guessing that is a day's work in itself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy