Author Topic: what type of hiking socks?  (Read 2989 times)

watershed

Re: what type of hiking socks?
« Reply #15 on: 18:21:43, 17/03/20 »
I use a mixture of socks. Most commonly Bridgedale and 1000 mile socks for one day hikes.
I have found that on multiday hikes with a Full Rucksack that my feet swell a little after a couple of days, especially if it is warm weather. I then change to a thinner sock to leave room in my boots. Then I use X-socks trek outdoors.
I have never bothered with a liner sock.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:04:37, 17/03/20 »
As others have said, the problem is likely to be with your boots or shoes rather than your socks. I do a lot of walking and never get blisters... except, that is, when I wear a certain pair of boots. Although they feel comfortable, I start to get blisters after about 5 miles. They were no better after four attempts, so I stopped trying!

Again like others, most of my socks are Bridgedales and I recommend them highly. However, my favourite pair of socks are Smartwool. They were my first 'proper' walking socks (not counting quite a few pairs from Mountain Warehouse). I bought them from Cotswold Outdoor when I'd just been given brand new Salomon boots after arriving in my not-very-old squelching ones. I was so pleased with the no-quibble service that I went along with the assistant's advice to get some decent socks while I was there - and he recommended Smartwool. Until then, I wouldn't have dreamed of spending over £20 on a pair of socks!

Regarding Mountain Warehouse... I'm a big fan of some of their stuff, but not their socks. They're cheap and the ones I've had have felt fine, but they've developed holes far too quickly.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Ronin83

« Reply #17 on: 23:20:41, 17/03/20 »
Wool socks are almost always recommended, but for me personally I have found them just too damn hot and not breathable. My toes seem to instantly sweat wearing wool socks. I may be the odd one out with that, but I have found plenty of people who say the same thing now. There's always gonna be people like us who have, for whatever reason, a different reaction.

I did recently rtry thorlos cushioned hiking socks and they are really good. Quite warm just due to thickness. Good old cotton is most breathable I find, but bad when wet and cold.

It may be an idea to stop, remove boots AND socks for a bit, maybe use a bit of talc, before continuing. Feels great and can prevent blisters (which I've never had)

wobblyknees

« Reply #18 on: 10:09:53, 18/03/20 »
Have a look at these
https://www.horizonsocks.co.uk/

I've been wearing them for years. Don't know if they can be bought retail from any of the outdoor shops.

Long time since I researched them but I think they used to actually make the socks of many of the BIG outdoor walking socks brand names.
I find them very good.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:46:36, 18/03/20 »
Bridgedale medium weight. Tried their thin ones and seem to give me some soreness on longer walks in some areas but mid seems just right.

Fine buying seconds when it comes to socks, there's zero difference when they go in your boots anyway!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:47:13, 18/03/20 »
My problem with all the well known brands of hiking socks like Bridgedale and Thorlo is that they're far too long. I don't want socks that reach the tops of the calves, even in winter and certainly not in the summer months.
The best socks I've found for length are Hilly Supreme Anklet socks that, despite their name, reach between a third and half way up the calf. I wear DG trainer liner socks underneath them.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:55:04, 18/03/20 »
My problem with all the well known brands of hiking socks like Bridgedale and Thorlo is that they're far too long.

Bridgedale do make very short ankled socks but, on googling, it seems the shortest ones with wool content are in the women's section. They are the ones I wear in the summer including trekking in hot countries.
https://www.bridgedale.com/710-610-trailsport-lightweight-t2-3-4-crew
Though the blurb states that they are especially designed for women's feet I wonder how much difference that really makes if they are the correct size.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:11:33, 18/03/20 »
Though the blurb states that they are especially designed for women's feet I wonder how much difference that really makes if they are the correct size.
I probably won’t find too many women’s socks that will fit my feet (12 wide or extra wide). Even if I could find size 12 women’s socks they would likely be much too narrow. My wife has the opposite problem taking only a size 1. In theory she could wear children’s socks/ boots as an alternative, but these are usually too narrow and she generally doesn’t want glitter, unicorns or flashing lights on her footwear.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:29:03, 18/03/20 »
Bridgedale do make very short ankled socks
True 'ankle socks' are always too short - I'm a fussy blighter!.

My wife has the opposite problem taking only a size 1.
:o I thought my wife's difficulties were unusual having size 9 - she nearly always ends up with men's footwear.

she generally doesn’t want glitter, unicorns or flashing lights on her footwear.
Now that would be style!. Very visible to MRT too  :)

mow1701

« Reply #24 on: 19:20:26, 26/03/20 »
I suffer from blister on little toes when backpacking and I have found Injinji liner Toe Socks brilliant. My thicker sock are a Thorlo. Perfect combination

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:24:01, 27/03/20 »
The two types I use are Bridgedale Ultralight and Bridgedale Trekker. Both are wool, of course. The Ultralight is my favourite so that's what I'm wearing most of the time. I like thin socks, because they are cooler and also take up less space in my boots. The Trekkers are thicker and offer more padding. I like that when my boots are soaked. I don't normally get blisters, except when I get trench feet and ticker socks makes hiking in soaked boots slightly better. So on multiday walks I usually walk on the Ultralights but carry a pair of Trekkers as a backup in case I get really wet feet.

However, my sock preferences might differ with different boots. You need to find the combination of shoes and socks that works for your feet. Everybody is different.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Magic girl

« Reply #26 on: 11:29:39, 27/03/20 »
I swear by darn tough socks,I won't wear anything else,They may seem expensive but they come with a lifetime warranty and I know that the company does honour this,I've even converted my hubby to darn tough socks x

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:22:52, 06/04/20 »
My preference is Thorlo. They have all sorts, from extreme winter to hot summer and are simply comfortable.

Thing is, your feet are your feet. When I'm teaching, the debate about socks comes up again and again. I make a point of letting the students hear the differing opinions of the various instructors. I'm a 'one pair of good socks' person who gets blisters if I use two pairs, and another is a 'have to have a pair of liner socks' and gets blisters if they only wear a single pair, and so on. We've each got decades of experience and know what works for our feet. It isn't that one of us is right and one is wrong. The same goes for brands. We can advise, we can help, but we can't tell.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

AshandOak

« Reply #28 on: 14:02:41, 10/04/20 »
I've tried a lot of different hiking socks and the best for me are made by Darn Tough and the best padding/weight ratio I've found are their crew light hikers. They have been the most durable I've ever worn and good padding when wearing with a boot.
If you suffer from blisters you might want to try a liner with them, try Wigwam coolmax liners (if you can find them in the UK) or Bridgedale coolmax liners.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:50:46, 10/04/20 »
Until the restrictions are lifted and given the current weather, forget the socks, wear flip flops!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy