Author Topic: Every walking photo tells a story  (Read 48837 times)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Re: Every walking photo tells a story
« Reply #30 on: 08:43:56, 30/04/16 »
Great pic O0

Lovely ridges  :smitten:
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 14:39:28, 30/04/16 »
There is a great deal to explore in Scotland with such places as these, Arran and Skye places that never appeared on the Radar, Ben Nevis and Aonach were not on the radar two years ago either.

I agree with Dom the ridges look exciting  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:42:06, 01/05/16 »
I agree with Dom the ridges look exciting  :)

I was reading the Arran chapter in the Cicerone guide 'Walking the Corbetts' last week.

'These three Corbetts provide the finest walking in this guidebook'.

Arran also has someting called the A'cir ridge, its a tougher version of the Aonach Eagach.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:46:47, 01/05/16 »

Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg, basking in the afternoon sunshine

Another day another Munro, I am getting there very slowly. Today I plan to go and put right my mistakes from last year when I planned to do Ben Fhada and  A' Ghlas Bheinn 'two muscular hills' in one day.  Somehow  I ended up in the wrong valley, resulting in only getting one hill Ben Fhada, done.

Today a year later it was the turn the other hill A' Ghlas Bheinn 918m, the walk starts from Morvich a village in Glen Shiel it follows the obvious well trodden footpath that is well signposted to local beauty spot the 'Falls of Glomack'.

Doh!!! how did I miss that?

After a 6k walk to the bealach, col in english you follow the east ridge to the summit. Like all Munros that start from sea level the amount of ascent is always a shock to the system.

All went swimmingly well and I drove back to the hut only to be greeted by a sensational view of the North Face of Ben Nevis from the Commando statue.

I drove down the back road to Fort Bill in search of some more inclusive angles of the North Face.

Taking these photos got me revved for a day on the Ben with Dom and Dave.
« Last Edit: 11:05:48, 01/05/16 by midweekmountain »

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 08:54:16, 01/05/16 »
Stunning shot Stuart

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:27:32, 01/05/16 »
A couple of shots from the recent meet up in Scotland

Dom on the approach traverse to the ridge.

Big Dave Rhino emerging out of the darkness.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:38:54, 01/05/16 »
Excellent photos but i don't think you got Daves best side

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:56:59, 01/05/16 »

Firstly ive got to say those last two pics are great  8)

Arran also has someting called the A'cir ridge, its a tougher version of the Aonach Eagach.

I know what your doing Stuart planting the seed again, all i can say is thanks it looks awesome  O0

Excellent photos but i don't think you got Daves best side

Do i have a best side  ;D

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:39:39, 01/05/16 »
Great pics Stuart O0

A'cir Ridge

"The difficulties on the ridge itself cannot be avoided unless you abseil instead(or avoid the entire ridge). To compare the ridge to the Cuillin would probably be misleading but there is a certain Skye-ish quality to the situations experienced on the ridge. The technicalities are more difficult that the Aonach Eagach traverse (which is graded) Easy.

:) :) :)
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:28:04, 01/05/16 »

Thats a different world to where I walk, I always try to steer clear of fields, mudfests in winter, often complicated to nav with awkward diversions.

Give me the mountains!!!!!!

The photo I  posted, was more about quality of way than destination, a walk route is made up of objectives and the means of getting there, the quality of way can be summed up or illustrated in a picture. Many shots shown on TR's are of objectives and destinations, less attention may be paid to the feeling experienced on route, which I use 'Quality of Way' as a term to try to encompass that.

The snow climbing shots are great examples of this, they provide the subject matter to immediately capture the essence of the ascent. My abiding memory of Arran was Glen Sannox, which formed the last part of one of our days walking, after descending from the ridges, sadly to have a photo that half way lives up to capturing the aura of the place I would probably have to spend many days there with more equipment than I possess or have been extremely lucky.

Arran has a unique feature in the circular coast road and the bus service, this gives an opportunity to explore the linear route, which has helped me learn to appreciate quality of way more in relation to objective or destination.

Great to see those photos, here is one, taken on a linear route after climbing Ben Venue in the Trossacks.

Mrs BWW tackling a deer fence, an unexpected obstacle as we made our way back to the car from the summit, we had crossed Loch Katrine by the historical motor boat.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:31:52, 01/05/16 »
I had some issues with deer fences a few weeks ago on Ben Challum, several issues in fact

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 14:38:15, 01/05/16 »
I know what your doing Stuart planting the seed again,

Who me?

I actually sussed out another Aonach Eagach clone in Glencoe Its called Sron na Lairig grade II *** 300 metres  same grade as AE, guidebook says it takes a well diffined crest similar to AE. Never noticed it before, try googling there is some info on ukc.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 16:41:45, 02/05/16 »

A bit of a change of a change from mountaineering

I heard a story from two friends who had been walking down the river Ure near Middleham following a path that went into a landslip area caused by the New Year floods. They got into trouble and had to call out the local Mountain Rescue apparently it was the 6th incident the rescue services had been called to in that location in 2016

I put a photo on here a while back from a walk up Pen Hill from Middleton, this photo was taken the same day. When I saw the old garage I just had to take a photo I just adore those old trucks, an echo from  bygone age.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 20:48:59, 02/05/16 »

Who me?

I actually sussed out another Aonach Eagach clone in Glencoe Its called Sron na Lairig grade II *** 300 metres  same grade as AE, guidebook says it takes a well diffined crest similar to AE. Never noticed it before, try googling there is some info on ukc.

Yes but i am not complaining  ;D

Sron na Lairig looks good and found this video on it, they had to retreat due to avalanche risk but the video gives some idea of what its like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THX7HhHHnyM

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 08:23:55, 03/05/16 »
Sron na Lairig looks good and found this video on it, they had to retreat due to avalanche risk but the video gives some idea of what its like.

Yes the vid makes it look like a good route although a lot steeper than it really is. Probably a better route to go for would be Curved Ridge on the Buckle another mega classic.

I did a winter ascent few years ago and its not out of the way BUT it can be done in summer as a grade 3 scramble.  I seem to remember 2 steep pitches and the rest was straight forward going thro stunning scenary.

The view from the summit over Rannoch Moor

« Last Edit: 08:37:46, 03/05/16 by midweekmountain »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy