Author Topic: Advice on winter hiking gear  (Read 4053 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on winter hiking gear
« Reply #30 on: 21:01:04, 24/10/19 »
I also use gaiters for use in snow or wet and boggy ground. I normally wear them from about this time of the year until March on most walks because they keep my legs warm too. I have heard that trolls don't wear gaiters  ;)

I forgot to mention on my earlier post that I also wear long johns under my trousers when it is very cold. The wind chill this weekend is going to be below freezing even at 400m so they might get a trip out.
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:12:18, 24/10/19 »
Just avoid gaiters, even cheap ones from a charity shop  O0

Curious as to why (gaiters specifically)?

I'd have thought buying a waterproof would be more risky as most folks donating to charity shops wash the stuff before they donate it.  I'd be more wary as to whether a waterproof jacket had been washed with regular detergent and fabric softener  :-\

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:17:35, 24/10/19 »
... I also wear long johns under my trousers when it is very cold.

I do this too.  Much cheaper than buying winter trousers, and surprisingly effective  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:23:44, 24/10/19 »
. I have heard that trolls don't wear gaiters  ;)
:2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

Maggot

« Reply #34 on: 21:49:05, 24/10/19 »
I have heard that trolls don't wear gaiters  ;)

Weird, why does thinking gaiters a throwback to an age before decent waterproof trousers and technical fabrics make me a troll?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:15:13, 24/10/19 »
Don't get bogged down with micro this, phobic that or the like.  There is a charity shop just down the road from me that currently has about a dozen fleeces in it, and none are more than £4.49!

Weird, why does thinking gaiters a throwback to an age before decent waterproof trousers and technical fabrics make me a troll?

You are contradicting yourself, first saying technical clothing isn't needed, then saying it is?  :-\

I've never found decent waterproof trousers and technical fabrics in a charity shop  :)

I have decent waterproof trousers and walking trousers but still use gaiters. You may be happy to wear your waterproofs all day to try keeping your trousers dry. I prefer not to unless it is lashing down. Where do you do your walking? Have you ever crossed a bog or walked in deep snow? I will continue wearing my gaiters thanks. If you can't accept the fact some people wear gaiters because they are sometimes necessary and continue to make derogatory comments to those that do, then you are acting like a troll.
Hate will never win

Maggot

« Reply #36 on: 22:29:40, 24/10/19 »
You are contradicting yourself, first saying technical clothing isn't needed, then saying it is?  :-\

No, I was clearly saying that when you are starting out, don't get bogged down until you understand what it is you need.  Save some money and wait until you know what you need for what you intend to do.

Then when you know what sort of walking you want to do, start investing properly at that point.  So if you want to do low level walking in decent weather don't buy expensive mountain clothes.  If you want to walk in mountains in winter, don't buy a pair of £20 Mountain Warehouse boots.

Honestly, you keep on with your gaiters, I really am chilled about what we all wear  ::)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:41:02, 24/10/19 »
No, I was clearly saying that when you are starting out, don't get bogged down until you understand what it is you need.  Save some money and wait until you know what you need for what you intend to do.

I wasn't clear what you were saying  :)  If you read the OP's post they are not just "starting out" and they know what they intend to do; walk the Lake District Fells in colder conditions.

Honestly, you keep on with your gaiters, I really am chilled about what we all wear  ::)

We will all keep on with our gaiters  O0

Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:13:57, 25/10/19 »
Waterproof trousers are fine when walking in rain, but I find them uncomfortably warm when it's dry.  However, walking in the Lakes or Snowdonia in winter, I rarely go out without gaiters on, they keep the trousers dry in bogs and snow and help stop water ingress into boots, (particularly when trip trapping across bridges).  They may not make you look like a fashion icon. But those days have gone.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 16:58:03, 25/10/19 »
There are poor gaiters out there and there are good ones, I've worn both and from experience prefer the ones with zips down the front. I too wear long johns on cold days, to me just another form of useful layering, even on a cold day I find it surprising how hot I can get and they are often off and in my rucksack within the hour. I still don't really get a grasp as to why a hiker would not have gaiters to hand, especially when its raining, when walking in wet grass, in mud, and in snow, to me an essential bit of kit. I hate it if I end up having to go into a pub, cafe or restaurant and the inside legs of my walking trousers are covered in mud, I have my standards you know.  ;)

Mind you, I always carry a small nail brush with me, that and a small amount of water usually gets rid of the mud easily.

I'm a hiker who no longer wears hiking trousers (I use a rain skirt or a long waterproof coat over my gaiters) but even if I did, the nuisance value of putting them on, taking them off 'X' amount of times in a day would drive me, as it used to, bonkers! The idea of wearing them for hours on end or for a whole day as I sometimes had to is not my idea of fun hiking.  >:(

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 18:29:28, 25/10/19 »
I wasn't clear what you were saying  :)  If you read the OP's post they are not just "starting out" and they know what they intend to do; walk the Lake District Fells in colder conditions.

We will all keep on with our gaiters  O0

I'll certainly be wearing mine when the fells get a good covering of snow. Perhaps maggot should give winter hillwalking a try; maybe then he will understand the true value of gaiters.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:25:06, 25/10/19 »
I rarely go out without gaiters on, they keep the trousers dry in bogs and snow and help stop water ingress into boots, (particularly when trip trapping across bridges)

:) Very clever; you are subtle  >:D
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 19:29:13, 25/10/19 »
And they stop goats chewing your ankles!  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 19:43:28, 25/10/19 »
:) Very clever; you are subtle  >:D

Not something that gets said every day!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:26:38, 25/10/19 »
I'm still waiting to hear why we shouldn't buy gaiters from a charity shop but everything else is fair game  :(

... and to see the fantastic video he's working on ...

::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy