Author Topic: Deep Heat  (Read 8236 times)

sachacavanagh

Deep Heat
« on: 19:10:03, 25/01/08 »
To those long distance walkers out there. Can anyone advise me on what kind of treatment they have used to soothe their poor tired, aching legs and feet? As my lejog walk draws nearer I am starting to panic!! Remember there won't be any hot baths or a masseur at hand   :(
Someone suggested Deep Heat, never tried it. Is it any good? :-\

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Deep Heat
« Reply #1 on: 19:47:29, 25/01/08 »
 At the end of the day put your feet and lower legs into ice cold water and leave them there for twenty minutes.You will be surprised how well this speeds up the healing process.One tip I was given by a well known (read as notorious) trainer of fighters was to take a cold shower before and after training.Taken one after training but never before and it certainly helped with recovery.

Deep heat is okay for sprains but smells horrible.Its not the kind of thing I would want  to be rubbing into my legs everynight.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:52:34, 25/01/08 »
I often have a paddle in the beck at the end of a day when I'm backpacking and it does seem to help - it also seems quite good for blisters.... so I'd support what tonyk says about  using cold water.
If you can do plenty of walking before you embark on your trip, you'd also go a long way (!) to training out any potential problems with muscle stiffness, and, in any case, if you manage to avoid any injuries , the problem should gradually go away as your legs become more used to the hard work.
As for deep heat - Ive never tried it, but as its an analgesic, it might work. (It does have a nasty niff to it, though - and dont touch your lips, rub your eyes or  touch any other similar areas of skin imediately after using it as this will sting like mad!) I'd give it a whirl before you go, after a longish walk and see what happens.
A lot of backpackers seem to use ibruprofen.. I just put me feet up and have a bit of a booze (dont try this at home, though folks, its bad for the muscles)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:43:46, 25/01/08 »
Interesting to hear the comments of you previous posters, because I don't get affected like that, other than at my age I have poor, tired aching legs a lot of the time, irrespective of whether I've done a long walk or not.  In fact, the more I think about it, I suffer less after a walk in the country beacuse, I presume, I'm using my legs and feet for what they were intended for, rather than getting up and down from the sofa, pounding hard city pavements and stairs, standing propping up bars etc etc.  No, I would say in my case, eight hours in bed is sufficient treatment, though the muscles can be a bit stiff for the first fifteen minutes the next morning.  As for Ibuprofen, isn't that connected with kidney damge?

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 02:06:57, 26/01/08 »
I find that after the first day or two of a trek, you get up in the morning feeling a bit stiff but after a mile or so that's all forgotten.

I'm not personally into ice cold, or even slightly cold showers, but do like to shower at the end of the day.    I really don't like going to bed feeling sweaty and horrible.

S.

summerfield

« Reply #5 on: 21:36:17, 26/01/08 »
I would be inclined to use Ibuprofen as this reduces the inflammation, have also tried deep heat which you used to be able to get s low odour one but don't be tempted to put to much on as it warms the area up ind if then covered in a nice warm sleeping bag can get to hot and their is not much you can do about it personally i don't find the smell to bad.
also if you are suffering i sometimes take an ibuprofen about lunch time as this helps later in the day, not heard of the side affects so will have to look this up sometime.
support mountain rescue - get lost

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:07:41, 26/01/08 »

also if you are suffering i sometimes take an ibuprofen about lunch time as this helps later in the day, not heard of the side affects so will have to look this up sometime

Nsaids(ie:ibuprofren,Nurofen etc) can have some pretty nasty side effects.They are well known for causing stomach problems,including bleeding,and its best to avoid using them if at all possible.They are mainly for joint pain rather than muscle fatigue and if you have joint pain its perhaps time to look at the way you are preparing and the distance you walk each day.
Walking poles and good footwear will solve a lot of problems,especially knee pain,so its worth considering all the alternatives before you dose up on the pills.

Mairi

« Reply #7 on: 02:38:24, 27/01/08 »
The only times I've experienced foot and leg pain after a long distance walk is when I've been carrying a heavy pack. Why not try keeping the weight down and see what happens?

By the bye, I'd like to test a theory that there are two distinct kinds of walkers: long distance mainly low-level walkers and peak baggers. Anyone want to argue for or against?

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:55:10, 27/01/08 »
I'd like to test a theory that there are two distinct kinds of walkers: long distance mainly low-level walkers and peak baggers. Anyone want to argue for or against?

My serious walking, as opposed to short strolls, or exploring bits of woodland, etc,  is either circular day walks of between 6 and 12 miles (with a preference of 7 to 8 miles) in the Chilterns, that's your lowlands bit, but not what I assume you mean by long distance, or 30 to 40 miles multiple day walks with wild camping in Snowdonia.  With the latter, I wouldn't describe myself as a peak bagger.  I like to be high up but I don't often climb a peak for no other reason than it's there.  If it's on a ridge that I'm following, then I'll "bag" it, otherwise I'll just as happily walk round it.

Sorry if this does not fit your theory, but that's just me.  As my wife used to say when she gazed into my eyes (years ago but I can just about remember), "I could never find another man quite like you, dear."

Red Deb

« Reply #9 on: 15:48:43, 27/01/08 »
A safer option is "Green lipped Mussel extract gel" available from health shops.
Deb

Snowman

« Reply #10 on: 00:46:21, 28/01/08 »
By the bye, I'd like to test a theory that there are two distinct kinds of walkers: long distance mainly low-level walkers and peak baggers. Anyone want to argue for or against?

I'm totally with HFL on this.    Where on Earth did you come up with such a theory.

I've done the Cambrian Way, which takes in many of the major mountains of Wales, but the only reason I went up them was because they were on the route, and of course the view from the top of a mountain is usually (if you can see through the cloud) spectacular.

But I've also trekked across the Pyrenees, and walked right past Monte Perdido/Mont Perdu because I didn't really see any point in going up it.    It wasn't on the route I was taking so I didn't go up it.

I've been up the White Mountains in Crete, but didn't 'bag' the highest peak (in fact I can't even remember it's name).

Because mountain views are so spectacular, it is worth going up them, but bagging for the sake of bagging is a bit like stamp collecting IMO.

But I've also done the Thames Path, although that was just because it goes past my house.

Sorry, but like HFL, I don't fit into your mould at all, and I believe the reality is that most LPD walkers don't either, so for me your theory is definitely not QED.

S.

muymalestado

« Reply #11 on: 14:24:22, 28/01/08 »
I take wife's advice on the original query.  She follows general advice for women runners (or, for anyone really) and prior to setting off does a moment of warm-up stretching, concentrating on the legs/ligaments/tendons.  Then afterward does a few stretches again the ligaments are centre of attention.

The warm-down is probably more important in walking, takes only a few moments, and I agree with her, is really noticeable if forgotten.

As for cold beck swimming.   Oh no!  Cold has its place in healing injury.  Swimming has its place - in the Seychelles.  I'm not sure the two should mix.
I think this next one will be the top ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:27:02, 28/01/08 »

John Merrill seperated walkers into four distinct groups.

The lowest form of life was the motorist walker who rarely strayed more than 400 meters from his car.He was followed by the rambler,who did walks from 5-15 miles and usually stopped for lunch.The next catergory was the peak bagger who's main aim was to bag as many peaks as possible and avoid walking on the flat.The highest form of life (at least in John's opinion  ;D) was the long distance backpacker who walked hundreds of miles and was self supportive.Having been mainly a backpacker I am afraid John's theory falls apart if you happen to stray into smart pubs or cafes.By the looks I have got off both staff and customers I have been left wondering if I am one step down from a tramp!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy