Author Topic: Long Distance Walking - Planning  (Read 3101 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Long Distance Walking - Planning
« on: 10:38:07, 25/02/08 »
Hi i am currently in the stages on planning for the Cleveland Way. I have worked out my daily route and camping spots. Please note this is my first LDP

I aim to do the route solo, camping every night and carrying all my own gear. I intend to do it early July, finishing on my birthday.

I have it planned for 5days, as i cant really afford to take anymore holidays than this.

I have quite a few questions i would like to air on the forum, any help would be greatly appreaciated.

1) What is the average wlaking speed mph of a guy my age 28, who is reasonably fit. My lowest mileage in a day is 11 miles , my highest is just under 30miles.

2) I intend on eating boil in the bags during the day using a jetboil. Can anyone recomend any good products with regards to food.

3) I intend on travelling light, with it being summer i wont need as much kit as winter. What carrying weight would you suggest i aim for.

4) Can anyone recomend a really good light weight, breathable, waterproof jacket.

5) Can anyone recomend a good pub to have a meal in at the finish in Filey.

I check this forum regularyl so if you need anymore info from me to answer the questions i will get back to you very quickly.

Thanks everyone in advance  ;)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Long Distance Walking - Planning
« Reply #1 on: 11:19:52, 25/02/08 »
This is based on 7 TGO challenges and Pennine Way and a few other things...although others will probably have differing views on some things -but these are my thoughts on your questions.
1) Dont worry about speed (although 1.5 to 2 mph would be normalish with a heavy pack). Take your time and have things like tea bags and your cooking stuff all really handy so you can stop and have brews. 30 Miles seems a long way, but I suppose it also depends on how much uphill work there is on that day and what the paths are like.  Dont worry too much if you dont manage the whole 30 (I'm not suggesting that you're not capable of this by the way - its just that sometimes things dont always work out) Just be ready to be flexible and dont get ruled by your initial plan. You have to relax - its a holiday.! I tend to walk from 9 to 5 - or 6 if I'm late and have lots of stops - elevensies for bacon and tattie scones, lunch if I get hungry, afternoon tea and biccies and snooze, one or two extra stops to build up strength for my main break - that sort of thing - you get the idea, I'm sure.
2) There's loads of boil in the bag stuff from wayfarers etc - which I sometimes use. I'm specially fond of the chocolate sponge, but the treacle sponge is like an ice hocky puck in sugar (shudder). I also use supermarket b-in-b curries - a bit heavy to carry, but they feed two (i.e. one greedy/hungry person) I cook on a tiny Primus and with the curries, I cook a packet of microwave uncle ben's rice (just add a small amount of water, and when thats cooked, i add the curry and mix it all together and tghen stuff it down my face. You have to wash up after this, obviously, so I take a little pan scourer/sponge for that.
I also carry things like cracker barrel cheese and oatcakes, and porridge.... getting hungry now...
And I have a supply of approx 50ml of rough scotch (eg bells) in a cycling bottle for occasional night time celebrations...
I think wayfarers stuff or army rations are OK - but never just quite enough for me  as I'm a pig.
Sometimes I would take just one self-heating meal as a back up incase of stove trouble. Probably not so important on NYM
3) People can carry different amounts depending on their own physical attributes and, to some extent, what they do for a living - but I find that if I can get a base pack weight to about 22 pounds, or less if possible, then thats manageable, and not very noticeable after a while. You'd have to add food to this, and , I would guess on NYM in summer, some water, which is quite heavy.
4) I'm not really up on jackets - I've got a Paramo with lots of vents and zips, so you don't need to take it off. Ever!
5) Never been to Filey!  But happy birthday anyway.

One of the ways to reduce pack weight is not to take too many spare clothes. Its possible to post yourself a set of clean stuff to the post office at the end of the walk - address it to yourself post restante. If you're wild camping, it doesnt matter too much if you stink a bit - and on a five day trip, you'll probably just be starting to attract the attention of dog foxes, lovesick badgers  and pubescent stags- so be very sparing on what you take. Smartwool base layers and socks are quite good for this sort of thing.

Its going to be fab!

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:51:07, 25/02/08 »
I am doing a 20 mile walk this coming weekend, so hopefully i will be able to get an idea of how i am going to cope. I can change my plan a bit, as i have only 10miles for my first day. As i understand it, the back end fo the walk is mainly flat.

I am aiming for aorund 2.5 to 3 miles per hour.

Think i will stay away from the treacle sponge :-[

I am planning on a hearty bar meal every night, so wont need to carry to much food with me, just day time snacks/food.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:59:37, 25/02/08 »
  As regards speed,go at a pace your body feels comfortable with.Listen to your body.

Food isn't a real problem,there are quite a few shops and cafes on the Cleveland Way so finding something to eat should be quite easy.I am not so sure about boil in the bags during the day,it seems a bit extravagant.Probably better to eat cold food on the go especially if you intend to do 30 miles in a day.The coastal section has plenty of fish and chip shops.

As for weight, light as possible,throw out anything that could be considered a luxury.

I am a bit like Mike when it comes to jackets,not up on the modern trends,always wear a buffalo which gets wet when it rains but dries out with body heat in less than an hour.Its also useful for sleeping in as it means I can take a lighter sleeping bag.The only advice I would give on jackets is not to believe all the hype,in torrential rain you are going to get wet whatever you wear.

Not too sure about the pubs in Filey,I have always camped on the cliffs,around a mile from the town.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:07:07, 25/02/08 »
I'm with tonyk, especially as I don't really like boil in the bag stuff.

If you can face the thought of not having a brew in the morning and are eating hot food each evening you could take no cooking gear at all.

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:20:37, 25/02/08 »
I see what you are saying about the cooking gear, but i really, really want a jetboil system  ;D I am not really into bits of kit, but the jetboil looks awesome. Boils in next to no time and packs away to nothing.

My problem is i get really hungry, really fast, i have the metabilism of a racing snake. I cant see sandwiches surficing until the evening.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:33:12, 25/02/08 »
I would agree with Ridge and Tonyk about the daytime food - but its your walk, and if you want to have a jetboil and have a mid-day scoffing session with it, then why not?   It is a little more civilised than squirty cheese and oatcakes I suppose.  You might consider having a practise at this before you go (another chance to have a go with your jetboil!)

You might also want to have a spare evening meal anyway in case a pub is shut when you arrive, or the chef's gorn orf, or you dont quite make it,  or whatever

Incidentally, the TGO organisers advise TGO participants that the first day of a long distance walk is ideally quite short - and they have 8 to 12 miles in mind - so your 10 miles would be spot on. Obviously , on LDP's this isnt always possible as you might  feel you have to go with the "official" route, and its unusual to be able to have such a short first day. Its just a nice way to get yourself into the thing - and you have all day to do the distance, so the pressure is off.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:55:43, 25/02/08 »
 The main problem with boil in the bag in the day is that you have to carry extra water to boil.Couple that with water to drink,probalby around three litres with an extra two litres to boil, and your pack weight soon starts to rise.If you want warm food its probably easier to take a tin and warm it up.Also far more palateable than boil in the bag.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:12:25, 25/02/08 »
The main problem with boil in the bag in the day is that you have to carry extra water to boil.Couple that with water to drink,probalby around three litres with an extra two litres to boil, and your pack weight soon starts to rise.If you want warm food its probably easier to take a tin and warm it up.Also far more palateable than boil in the bag.

This is all too true - in fact tins aren't as heavy as you might think when compared with anything thats not been dehydrated. And it does tend to taste better, as Tonyk says. I do take a tin or two - and they're easy to resupply at small shops as well..
Boil in the bag can also be a bit heavy on fuel if you don't use your noddle (thats noddle, not noodle -  noodles  not allowed - specially not pot ones)
You have to wash up, though, obviously.
I suppose you could use wild water for boil in the bag - I dont think it gets in the bag?? :-\ (Might be wrong about this!) ... and it would be boiled.... (why don't these bags explode?)
Ive no idea what NYM water is like, but I guess I wouldnt trust it unless it had been boiled energentically (more jetboil practise!)
« Last Edit: 13:16:15, 25/02/08 by mike knipe »

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:29:20, 25/02/08 »
Good point about the wild water, never really thought of that. Not sure if the jetboil is desgined for products from tins. Anyone clarify this ?

You can get a larger ccoking system for the jetboil, but this will add weight.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:44:57, 25/02/08 »
Just had a look at a jetboil - I think you could use it for tinned food but you'd have a couple of "challenges". Firstly, you'd have to clean out the container afterwards and this seems to be quite narrow, like a big mug (!) I use a big non-stick pan which is easy to clean.
Secondly, I think there's be some danger of burning the food in the bottom of the container. Stoves like this don't simmer too well and the narrowness of the cooking vessel and it's construction material make this more likely.  You'd have this problem to some extent with any sort of pan, though if you're using one of these micro  stoves - you just have to be very careful.
You could just heat up some water and pierce whatever tin you were cooking and put it in the water.  This would leave you with a hot tin, would take a while to heat up a tin sufficiently and would be inflexible in that  you'd only have that one tin heated - OK for a tin of stew, but not much cop for something that needs two tins, or some rice or something. Not such a good way of doing things...

Have you considered boil in the bag?!!! O0 :-[ ;D ;D Duh!!  Can you get the bag in the cooking vessel, though?  What we need is a jetboil user...

Good thread, this, I'm enjoying meself...

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:47:03, 25/02/08 »
Calling all jetboil users. HELP required

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:52:50, 25/02/08 »
Just noticed on a jetboil website that you can get a bigger pot to put on it, which would seem to solve a few of the issues about mixing foods, and cleaning the pan.
There would be a bit of extra weight, but maybe not too much.
Phew...
 ::)
Still - comments from a jetboiler would be interesting....

There's a discussion about stoves currently happening on in the forum on http://www.tgochallenge.co.uk/  (is it OK to mention other forums?)  No jetboilers there - but some info about how to stop your beans burning..
« Last Edit: 14:06:36, 25/02/08 by mike knipe »

Snowman

« Reply #13 on: 14:26:45, 25/02/08 »
There was a thread here last year on lightweight camping where lots of people contributed.    That could be worth a look again as it shouldn’t be out of date already.

There was also a thread on ‘Trail Cuisine’ (I know because I started it).    However since then I’ve found some edible dried pasta meals that Asda sell.    These involve adding the dried contents of the pack to boiling water, so there’s minimal work (and you can use your jetboil).    It’s not cordon bleu, but they taste OK.    They’re now doing these ‘healthy’ reduced salt ones, but since I’m losing a lot of salt during the day I don’t mind adding a bit more in.

From my own experience of LDPs, I personally like to keep weight to an absolute minimum, so there’s no room for anything unnecessary.    The advice to avoid too much in the way of spare clothing is right on.    When it comes to spare I always use the technical stuff as it dries out quickly, i.e. a couple of T shirts and undies.   This way you tend not to whiff too much as the ‘close to the skin’ stuff can be washed quickly and easily.    Socks you can’t afford to mess with.   You should put on a clean pair each day (important to look after your feet) which usually means 3 pairs in total as they take ages to dry after being washed.    Get a pair of ‘cut off’ trousers as it’s the bottom bit that gets muddy so you can wash them and walk around in the shorts while they dry. 

As to absolute weight, my feeling is that over 28 pounds is far too much (I know some people like the pain and soul cleansing that accompanies carrying excessive burdens, but I ain’t one of them).    By buying ultralightweight gear where possible I have reduced pack weight considerably.    I’d also suggest that you lay out everything you’re thinking of taking on the floor, or on  your bed, and then look at each item and justify it’s inclusion.    If you can’t, then leave it behind.

I too use a lightweight waterproof but I don’t think mine is on sale anymore.    Mine’s a Lowe Alpine, I think the model was called ‘Adrenaline’.    My thinking is that if you’re walking in the summer if it gets cold you just put a fleece on underneath it.    There are plenty of good makes out there, but I’d find the lightest that has a decent hood.

Distances?    I’ve walked 22 miles in a day with pack (over mountains) but I wouldn’t choose to do that.   I’ve found that a couple of days at 10 to 15 miles to start is quite good, and then a very short day, say 5 miles or so.   After that you’re in a rhythm and can do just about anything..    I don’t usually do breaks, but a 5 miler every 3 to 4 days can refresh the tanks.

S.

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:09:04, 28/02/08 »
Guess who got a jetboil today through the post  ; :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I will be testing it out in due course and let you know how this bad boy performs.

£50 icluding delivery from ebay

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy