Author Topic: Long Distance Walking - Planning  (Read 3102 times)

kkm

Re: Long Distance Walking - Planning
« Reply #15 on: 11:03:18, 28/02/08 »
one thing i really wanted to take with me last year was a pair of flipflops to wear at the end of the day...i left them out due to weight issues, and really regreted it. this time i'm definately taking some sort of flipflop/jelly shoe with me for the end of the day.
 found a pair in a that weight next to nothing  :)

and yeah i definately took too much with me - we posted about 8kg back home half way through - including the brew making kit and cooking stuff. and a tent.....

we made butties for during the day and also carried cereal bars and little cakes to keep energy levels up.
breakfast varied. but we always ate something before we started. and a pub meal at night - with a pint of something (but only a pint) and i still lost a fair bit of weight.

just starting to plan the next bit. got to admit i'm slightly worried as our first day will be a 16 miler with a fair bit of climbing, but not sure how i can alter this (dufton to garrigill on the pw).   but can it really be any worse than edale to crowden?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:29:27, 28/02/08 »
 KKM wrote

just starting to plan the next bit. got to admit i'm slightly worried as our first day will be a 16 miler with a fair bit of climbing, but not sure how i can alter this (dufton to garrigill on the pw).   but can it really be any worse than edale to crowden?

Its not as bad as it looks.Once you get to the top of knock Fell,a five mile slog,the going gets easier.Hardest bit is the descent to Garrigill,it seems to go on forever!

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:04:04, 28/02/08 »
Guess who got a jetboil today through the post  ; :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bless! I'm sure you'll be very happy together.  :)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:11:28, 28/02/08 »
Guess who got a jetboil today through the post  ; :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I will be testing it out in due course and let you know how this bad boy performs.

£50 icluding delivery from ebay

Don't tempt fate by calling it a "bad boy".You know what ebay is like for selling dodgy goods so it might be an idea to first fire the thing up in the middle of a field and well away from houses.It might turn out to be "rocket boil"! :o

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:15:38, 28/02/08 »
....got to admit i'm slightly worried as our first day will be a 16 miler with a fair bit of climbing, but not sure how i can alter this (dufton to garrigill on the pw).   but can it really be any worse than edale to crowden?

As Tonyk says, its not as bad as it looks and the path is reasonably good, apart from a bit of vagueness on top of Knock Fell. The descent to Garrigill, after Gregs Hut is something I find mind-numbingly boring.  There is a foul weather/cant be arsed alternative which uses the bridleway from the col just before the radar station - down by Troutbeck and along   the Moorhouse reserve access road (partly tarmacced) to Garrigill  - or using the  South Tyne Way.  Purists will stick to the ridge. Purists sometimes get very wet.

PW-ers will also note that the South Tyne Way runs parralel to the PW North of Alston and goes quite close to the Kirkstyle Inn. As its an ex railway line at this point it is, of course, many times easier than the PW.  I wouldnt go that way, though , obviously,  even though it would save lots of energy and calories - as it wouldnt be right eh? ahem...(cough) :-[

Its much easier to follow too.   Apparently......  I wouldnt know.... ::)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Snowman

« Reply #20 on: 12:22:28, 01/03/08 »
one thing i really wanted to take with me last year was a pair of flipflops to wear at the end of the day...i left them out due to weight issues, and really regreted it. this time i'm definately taking some sort of flipflop/jelly shoe with me for the end of the day.

I would suggest that you never look on such an item as a luxury.    In my opinion it is one of the most essential pieces of walking equipment.    

The most important item of equipment is usually cited as being your walking boots, but that is because they look after your feet.    After a day on the trail, your feet need to cool down and breathe, so you need footwear to change into that allows them to do just that.    I use Teva sandals, but flip flops or anything similar that allows air to your feet will do the job.

I never take anything with me on a trek or LDP that I don't consider essential, and my Teva's are always there.

S.    

muymalestado

« Reply #21 on: 16:36:17, 01/03/08 »
Yep; Teva's are always in to pack.  They actually stand up to quite a bashing, if needed.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Solofool

« Reply #22 on: 21:00:36, 01/03/08 »
Just a couple of thoughts, use the jetboil for exactly just that, boil water quickly!! i have a titatanium mug and a thermal cozey (came with the mug, is made of thermal insulated foil ). The idea is simple in that you boil the water and add water and food contents to mug and close up cozey over mug and leave for 20 minutes and hey presto cooked meal. http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Ultralight_Cooking.html
I have thought of getting some flip flops (in fact more so now after a weeks skiing could of used them and saved my poor feet in those heavey ski boots), but i take my thick seal skinz instead, i take off my shoes and socks whack on a bit of talc then where my skinz round camp.

kkm

« Reply #23 on: 11:55:17, 04/03/08 »
I would suggest that you never look on such an item as a luxury.    In my opinion it is one of the most essential pieces of walking equipment.    

The most important item of equipment is usually cited as being your walking boots, but that is because they look after your feet.    After a day on the trail, your feet need to cool down and breathe, so you need footwear to change into that allows them to do just that.    I use Teva sandals, but flip flops or anything similar that allows air to your feet will do the job.

I never take anything with me on a trek or LDP that I don't consider essential, and my Teva's are always there.

S.    

i found i did a lot of bare foot walking once we got to camp, which was fine if the ground wasn't wet.....unfortunately it was very wet.........

planned the days for the rest of the walk....next stop accomodation. looks like we've got a couple of 16/17 mile days, but the rest will be 12/13 miles days. happy days!!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy