Author Topic: Charity Walks  (Read 83348 times)

andrew_pere

Be part of the Bowmore Ben Nevis Challenge 2011
« Reply #30 on: 11:49:16, 17/03/11 »
 Hi everyone-

In 2008 Capability Scotland invited eight teams to make history with the first wheelchair user led conquest of Ben Nevis. The event was an inspirational success raising over £100,000 to fund work campaigning with and supporting disabled people. Click here to view some of the fantastic footage of the 2008 event.  http://www.youtube.com/user/CapabilityScotBNC?feature=mhum# [nofollow]

This year Capability has partnered with Bowmore Islay single malt whisky to surpass that success by inviting a total of twelve teams to attempt the climb. Each team must bring together a mix of disabled and non-disabled challengers in a bid to reach the summit of the highest peak in the UK.

Join us as a volunteer - Whatever your experience, you can get involved.  Could you be one of our 12 mountain-trained volunteers?   If not, don’t worry! We also need another 30 people at the bottom of the mountain - there’s loads of ways you can help.

If you think you have what it takes, or you know someone who does, please contact Capability on 0845 600 6467 or visit http://snipurl.com/bowben [nofollow] and make 2011 a year to remember.

Cheers!

CIWF

Re: Charity Walks
« Reply #31 on: 16:35:02, 18/03/11 »
Hi all I'm Tor, a keen outdoor person and I work for Compassion in World Farming (if you haven't heard of Compassion before by way of an intro:
We campaign peacefully to end all cruel factory farming practices.

I would like to invite other forum members to an upcoming sponsored short walk event 'Walk with Compassion' to be held on Saturday 7th May 2011.

This Spring, let’s help stamp out factory farming, with a good stomp across the lovely South Downs, West Sussex. The event starts at Goodwood (horse) racing course, Chichester.

Please see the following link for further information:
http://bit.ly/hkAQwO [nofollow]

All the best,

Tor ;D

benrmatthews

« Reply #32 on: 17:02:47, 23/03/11 »
Hi all,

Thought you might all be interested in this new charity challenge.

Thanks!

Walk London to Brighton

When: Saturday, June 11, 2011

Where: Start at Richmond Bridge, finish in Ovingdean, Brighton

How: Official Website [nofollow]

Cost: £99.00 entry fee

What and Why: The 100k London to Brighton Challenge is a new event to the UK, in which teams of 4-6 participants attempt to walk 100km in 24 hours. The event will start in Richmond, London on Saturday 11th June where participants will join hundreds of others walking through the night along footpaths across Surrey to a celebratory finish at the St Dunstan's Centre in Ovingdean, Brighton.

Everyday sees more news of our brave Servicemen and women returning with injuries from conflicts like Iraq and Afghanistan. St Dunstan's provide lifelong support for these blind and visually impaired ex-Servicemen and women. Your support will help give more blind veterans an independent future by taking part in this exciting new event.

As well as supporting blind ex-Servicemen and women, the 100k London to Brighton Challenge will be a fantastic team building event and an ideal opportunity for anyone looking for a new challenge. The walk will be a truly memorable adventure, taking teams along the beautiful National Trust Trail. Sign up now athttp://www.walkl2b.com [nofollow] and support our blind heroes as they take the first steps to discover a life beyond blindness.

Naked Strength

Help For Heroes Warwickshire Challenge July 31st
« Reply #33 on: 12:57:59, 12/04/11 »
Hello All

Naked Strength Ltd. are hosting 2 mass participation charity fundraising walking challenges this year for Help for Heroes and we would love you to support us and take part.

We have the first Challenge in Warwickshire on July 31st and the second in the New Forest on October 15/16th. There are distances of 25 km, 50 km and 100 km available and all routes are predominantly track/ footpath. These events are completely novice friendly with a big focus on just having fun.

Every participant gets a Free cooltex performance T-shirt and some great goodies!!

If you would like to find out more or book your place (spaces are going fast!) please go to http://nakedstrength.co.uk/challenges-2011/warwick-naked-strength-challenge/ [nofollow]

Thanks and hope to see you there
Naked Strength

HeartResearchUK1

Heart Research UK's Lyke Wake Walk
« Reply #34 on: 15:46:23, 19/04/11 »
 National heart charity, Heart Research UK, is urging walkers from across the UK to sign up for its most challenging event this year– the Lyke Wake Walk – on 4 June 2011.

The Lyke Wake Walk is a demanding 40 mile crossing of the North Yorkshire Moors from Osmotherley to Ravenscar. It is a hard walk, not for the faint hearted, and involves climbing 5000ft, with participants challenged to complete the walk in less than 24 hours.

The Lyke Wake Walk is the ultimate stamina test and is a great way to raise money for pioneering research into heart disease. It’s up to you how you take part - you could face the challenge alone, with friends and family, or even with colleagues from work, as part of a team building day. Whatever you do you’ll feel a great sense of achievement after completing this challenging walk.

For more information or to take part in the Lyke Wake Walk then please call HRUK on 0113 234 7474, email [email protected] [nofollow] or visit www.heartresearch.org.uk [nofollow]

HeartResearchUK1

Heart Research UK's Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge
« Reply #35 on: 15:48:01, 19/04/11 »
 People from across the UK are being urged to dig out those walking boots and sign up for national heart charity, Heart Research UK’s flagship fundraiser – the ‘Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge’ on Saturday 18 June. Now in its fifteenth year, this 25-mile walk not only provides spectacular scenery and gets the heart pumping, it helps raise funds for pioneering research into the prevention, treatment and cure of heart disease.

The challenge covers three of the highest peaks in the Yorkshire Dales - Pen-y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough. The charity now needs as many people as possible to do one, two or even three peaks to help continue the fight against heart disease.  

This year, for the first time, Heart Research UK is introducing a team challenge trophy. We are looking for eager teams of friends, family and colleagues to join in and take part.

Unlike many other organisations, Heart Research UK does not charge an entry fee, it simply asks all walkers to raise as much sponsorship money as possible.  

Anyone interested in taking part can ring 0113 234 7474 or visit  http://www.heartresearch.org.uk/events/yorkshirethreepeakschallenge [nofollow]  

andy-rambles

Re: Which mountain shall I climb!?
« Reply #36 on: 22:50:40, 21/04/11 »
Hey I thought this might interest you seeing you're in Newcastle, I'm taking part in the Yorkshire three peaks challenge over one day on July 23rd which I can't wait to do! It's the nest step for me as I've only really done hill walks myself so I thought you might be interested in it. It's 25 miles in total, gonna be a challenge indeed! It's run by the BHF, I'll find the link for you below... hope that helps!

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1000998 [nofollow]

Whizz-Kidz

Fancy going for a walk?
« Reply #37 on: 12:15:30, 19/05/11 »
Whizz-Kidz have places available on our fantastic UK walking challenges in Wales (18-19th June) and the Lakes (14-15th August) this summer.  

The 14 Peaks takes you to the dizzy heights of the Welsh 3000’s covering a distance of 24 miles over 2 days.   The Lakes challenge is a summer weekend escape to the picturesque beauty of the Lakes, covering 30 miles over 2 days.  
[/list]    
Whizz-Kidz is a children’s charity. Our aim is to ensure that every disabled child has an opportunity to be something special…a kid. We provide kids with the mobility equipment they need to lead a more independent life. www.whizz-kidz.org.uk [nofollow] Please contact us for more information on 0207 233 6611 or [email protected] [nofollow]

MC South West

JOIN US FOR A TWILIGHT WALK AT STOURHEAD IN WILTSHIRE ON SATURDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER 2011
Enjoy the last of the Great British summer evenings with live entertainment, whilst raising money for your local Marie Curie Nurses.

Our 10 km walk takes you through 2650 acres of world famous 18th century landscape gardens at the National Trusts Stourhead Estate… through ancient woodland, fairytale temples, the secret grotto and around King Alfreds Tower. This is a unique opportunity to see this wonderful location after hours onces the crowds have gone home. Throughout the evening there will be all manner of entertainment, from singers to musicians to performers to keep you going as the sun sets and the stars light up the night!

Don’t forget to bring along your twilight picnic and blanket and settle down by the great lake after your walk as we join together at 10pm with a fireworks display to mark the beginning of the next Marie Curie Nursing shift.

Walk as a family, with a group of friends or get your work place involved and make this a night to remember!!

Registration opens at 6pm. The event concludes shortly after 10pm.

Registration is £10 (which includes your Walk Ten T-Shirt)
Children under 16 years go FREE and dogs are welcome so don't forget to bring your four legged friends!  All we ask is that you aim to raise as much as you can in sponsorship.
For more information:
Email: [email protected] [nofollow] 
Call: 01884 703536 to request your application formVisit: www.mariecurie.org.uk/walkten [nofollow] to book your place today!
« Last Edit: 16:36:17, 24/05/11 by MC South West »

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:10:58, 09/06/11 »
I want to do a Charity Walk for my mum's hospice 'Havens Hospice' in Chalkwell, Essex but I have no idea how to go about it.  My mum has cancer and unfortunately the chemo hasn't worked this time and the cancer is spreading  :( , she is a fighter believe me but not sure she is going to fight this one this time  :( , the hospice has been fabulous and they all really work hard to support her and others, and i feel I would like to try and give them some support back.  I am thinking of climbing Snowdon next year and that would be a challenge for me because the only mountain I have climbed is the Berwyn and that was hard.
Anyone any idea's as to how you go about it all, your help would be appreciated??
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:39:25, 09/06/11 »
Hi Catbells - firstly, what a wonderful gesture from you to the hospice who are supporting your mum through her illness. I'm sure they will be really appreciative of you wishing to support them in return.

I found this online, and hope that it might be helpful for you.

http://www.fundraisers-uk.co.uk/content/organising-a-fundraising-runwalk.php

It shows great strength of character from you to be thinking of others at such a testing time, says a lot about you. Here's a big hug ((((((((((((((((((((  ))))))))))))))))))))))))).

Thinking of you and your mum xxx

Deb x
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Arenig

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 20:02:09, 09/06/11 »
Hi Catbells - firstly, what a wonderful gesture from you to the hospice who are supporting your mum through her illness. I'm sure they will be really appreciative of you wishing to support them in return.

I found this online, and hope that it might be helpful for you.

http://www.fundraisers-uk.co.uk/content/organising-a-fundraising-runwalk.php

It shows great strength of character from you to be thinking of others at such a testing time, says a lot about you. Here's a big hug ((((((((((((((((((((  ))))))))))))))))))))))))).

Thinking of you and your mum xxx

Deb x

Well said Deb and very well done you too Catbells, for offering to take on such a challenge in aid of the hospice that's supporting your mum through these very difficult times.

As a local to North Wales and one with extensive knowledge of the Welsh mountains, I'd like to offer you my services as a guide/companion should you decide to go ahead with this walk to the summit of Yr Wyddfa. Snowdon is a massive mountain, far greater than anything in the Berwyns, especially for a novice, so with that in mind please feel free to contact me should you wish to take up my offer.

With regards to the fundraising side of it, might I suggest you contact one of the WF's moderators for advice on how to set up task, I'm sure one of them could point you in the right direction.

Best of luck with this.
Robbo.
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 06:19:20, 10/06/11 »
Ahhh thank you both for your kind words, this is a very hard time at the moment. and the hug was nice too.   I looked at the website and I've added it to my favourites some very good advice on there.  I was going to do it on my own but it makes sense to maybe have a few people to help raise more money for the hospice, not too many though, so I will consider that point.
Arenig, thank you for your offer I will definately contact you for your help thats very kind of you.  I am doing lots of walking local to me and trying to get to places not too far away to practice on hilly areas, I am getting fitter not so out of breath and the aching has stopped  :) .  Maybe I could come up to Wales and get some practice there although it is along way from Essex but I am sure I can fit in some trips up at weekends.  Any idea of a good route for me to do this walk? 

Catbells, a truly lovely walk

Arenig

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 13:11:12, 10/06/11 »
Hi Catbells,
I've sent you a PM.

Robbo
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

LSweeney

NSPCC Scotland Pitlochry HACK
« Reply #44 on: 11:40:23, 15/06/11 »
This is a great opportunity for members of the Walking Forum to pull on their hiking boots and discover the breathtaking views of Pitlochry.  The NSPCC are looking for walking enthusiasts to take part in a 17 mile sponsored challenge walk on Sunday 4th September 2011 to help give vulnerable children in Scotland a voice.  Discover the areas timeless beauty with a rewarding day in the hills. 

Register online at www.nspcc.org.uk/pitlochryhack [nofollow]

Call: 0844 892 0212

Email: pitlochryhack@nspcc [nofollow]

« Last Edit: 12:07:44, 15/06/11 by LSweeney »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy