Author Topic: Trouble Finding the Right Jacket (Warning, very long post!).  (Read 9822 times)

xtremottx

Hi Mel, thanks for your encouraging comments.

No, I didn't try the jacket outside; I returned it straight away. I was informed that it was made from the membrane but turned out it wasn't. The main zip also snagged straight away and I had to pull the whole jacket over my head and eventually managed to get the zip free. Other issues (which admittedly, I was aware of before purchasing) were the annoying velcro fasteners along the main flap and fur trim that's not removable (neither are faults; just not my preferences). I would've remedied these though if I thought the jacket was up to scratch.

Thanks again, Mel; will post back if anything else crops up.

Forgot to mention, I have tried more recent jackets also, such as the Rab Summit Storm but my arms felt the cold in that one! Hood was great! That was a few years ago, however.
« Last Edit: 00:05:06, 07/05/17 by xtremottx »

quixoticgeek

Paramo torres jacket?

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

xtremottx

Hi quixoticgeek.

Thanks for your suggestion. The hood must definitely fall completely back. This one has the all in one design, unfortunately. It's also only water 'resistant' and not 'proof'.

Thanks again; I do appreciated the input.

xtremottx

Hi.

Well, it's a year on since starting this thread and I never did come across the 'perfect' jacket, so I have finally settled for the following, which does not meet all my requirements and I have had to make a few modifications/additions to it already and am planning on making more to get it closer to what I wanted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malamute-Heavyweight-Waterproof-Detachable-Deatchable/dp/B00IOO5MXY [nofollow]

The main problem with this jacket is that the hood suffers from almost the exact same problem as described in my first post regarding the Mountain Warehouse jacket, i.e. short zip attaching hood to jacket, leaving gaps for air to get in and hood not deep enough, leaving side of face and ears to become cold; one of the main parts of the body that I needed to be covered, like in my old cheap jacket. There was a comment in this thread that my requirement of having a longer zip that attached the hood sounded like a wind up, however, after having actually now experienced wearing a jacket with a hood attached by a short zip, I can say that the long zip is 100% definitely one of my main requirements in any future jacket I buy!

On the plus side, it is thicker than any of the several jackets that I bought and returned and definitely warm in the body/sleeve area. If only the hood/hood attachment was designed better! Also, the main zip works well, without any fabric or flaps getting caught. I have only been out in very light rain so I cannot comment on the waterproofness yet but it the main body area/sleeves do seem to block wind quite well. The two side pockets are just about high enough to keep my hands in and not way too low.

Just thought I'd update you all. Thanks for all the helpful advice; all of it was very much appreciated!

Mel

• Veteran Member
Cheers for the update and I'm glad you've found something functional, even if it's not perfect.

I'm still looking for my replacement jacket (but fortunately my existing one is still in good working order), barring not being waterproof anymore (which isn't an issue).

scottk

Go to PHD website and design your own. They do an icefall jacket which may suit but definitely not for your budget. Their stuff does last so it would be money well spent. They also have sales a couple of times a year.

xtremottx

Thanks Mel and you're welcome for the update.

Thanks for your suggestion, scottk, I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, I'll probably be stuck with this jacket for a good several years now! I tried to visit the PHD website but it's giving a connection failed error at the moment; will keep trying.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Interesting site scottk.  Definitely out of my budget range though  :o

fernman

• Veteran Member
I'll probably be stuck with this jacket for a good several years now!

I've no wish to burst your bubble, but the specifications for the Clique Malamute Parka say it is "PU coated" which means the waterproofing may have a shorter life than you expect. Also it is not likely to be breathable.

As an aside from that, it is interesting to see the jacket has synthetic insulation, which is an about-turn from your earlier insistence for down.

scottk

Interesting site scottk.  Definitely out of my budget range though  :o

It's hard getting your head round all the variables especially if you haven't seen the gear. I have a minimus jacket and a sleeping bag rated to 0degrees. The bag weighs just over 500 g. The jacket is about 6 years old and still in great condition. I would really like a gilet/vest but think my other half would take it badly!!

scottk

Looks really good for the price. Pity there's no stock!

xtremottx

Thanks for all the posts since my last post.
fernman, as I mentioned in my post, there are a few things which I have had to settle for in the end.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Point taken, xtremo. Glad to find that you're still keeping an eye on the forum and the thread you started some time ago!

Taxboy

So reading the OP''s post it would appear that he does actually run hot.? Just to clarify any insulation material is fine in the jacket as long as it is encased with a smooth liner ?

Perhaps it might help if the OP stated what type of clothing is worn under the jacket e..g merino / synthetic Base Layer or just a cotton shirt. In my experience keeping warm or otherwise is more of a holistic process and not simply the outer layer (important though that might be)

If we also knew how long you were likely to be out in sub zero or wet conditions e.g. a couple of hours or all day that will help together with the temperature range i.e will this be your only jacket for 9 months of the year or just for extra cold days

With regard to down as well as the reasons already posted. Down is really designed for very cold dry climates rather than our maritime one

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy