Author Topic: Introducing...  (Read 844 times)

Larch

Introducing...
« on: 08:48:00, 28/12/17 »
Just saying 'hello' to everyone and introducing myself as per instructions. 
Not come across this forum before and was actually looking into insurance for doing guided walks.  Will have a peruse through the threads and see what info I can get!

I'm a former commercial archaeologist and also was a Ranger with the National Trust and now live in north of Northumberland.  I've done guided walks with the NT when I worked for them and was recently a Poison Garden Guide at Alnwick Garden. It's taken me this long to come round to realising how much I like walks with a talk and am hoping to pursue it through self employment.   

So, if there's any threads I need to look at here - do let me know. 
Also any advice, and also who do you get insurance from would be mega helpful for me and appreciated! O0

I'm looking at walks in urban areas, urban-fringe, but also rural - though nothing super strenuous or mountainous (I don't have the fitness, expertise or knowledge for that).  Moderate 2-3 hour walks at the most. With a cafe at the end.  ;)
Sue
Sue

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Introducing...
« Reply #1 on: 08:52:02, 28/12/17 »
Welcome from Portsmouth

Larch

« Reply #2 on: 09:11:02, 28/12/17 »
Thanks gunwharfman! 
I remember Portsmouth (from many moons ago) and the weeks I spent at Fort Cumberland prepping finds for the EH archives.  I also recall a lovely Lebanese restaurant at the Gun Wharf Quays...  Didn't do much for my waistline!!  ;D
Sue

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:26:03, 28/12/17 »
HI Larch. Welcome from Lincolnshire. A great but ignored walk is from the pastures down to the beach via the Dukes drive which goes through Denwick to Snaebleazes, Ratcheugh and down to the beach not too far from Boulmer. Since the best beaches in Europe are on your doorstep I am certain you are not short of canny little plods on your doorstep.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Larch

« Reply #4 on: 12:11:15, 28/12/17 »
Thanks jimbob for the heads up about that walk.  I forget about all the stuff we've got on the doorstep!!

Yes, when all fails - head to the beach!  O0

Been years since I was in Lincolnshire.  Lived briefly in Welbourn when I was an archaeologist and regularly nipped north to Lincoln for the bookshop.  Nice spot.

Sue

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:52:16, 29/12/17 »
Welcome from Devon.
Devon Arch. Soc. member here who's very grateful for the people who lecture and lead days out. A little more knowledge of what's around you really enhances any walk.
I wonder if by joining a similar society you could access a suitable insurance company, though you no doubt you would need your own policy.
Good luck with the self-employment project O0
« Last Edit: 14:08:34, 29/12/17 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:49:30, 29/12/17 »
Hi Sue and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Larch

« Reply #7 on: 14:55:02, 29/12/17 »
Tracey and Jac thanks for the reply! 

Jac, that’s good to know about arch soc. and their insurance.  Hadn’t thought of that and will bear it in mind.  Thanks.  Also, great to hear folks’ knowledge is appreciated. I’m the same, especially when visitors came to the Poison Garden with their stories to tell!  The notebook certainly got fatter as the season went on!  ;D
Sue

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy