Author Topic: What are your walking plans for 2018?  (Read 20183 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your walking plans for 2018?
« Reply #30 on: 20:07:52, 03/01/18 »
I too agree with Mel and April. This year will probably be much the same as before, regular walks in my backyard of the Brecon Beacons, couple of trips to Snowdonia and then magical mid Wales  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:31:51, 03/01/18 »
Think most of us here agree with Mel and April. Brecon Beacons would be good, but also hoping to do South Downs Way in one hit having walked quite a lot of it on day walks before. Also spending much of my time in France so planning a few walks there.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:51:34, 03/01/18 »
Well put  Mel & April.

My plan this year is Hadrian's Wall path but adding from Wallsend along the Tyne to the coast then  north to Cresswell as much on the coast as posible then up to Berwick on the Northumberland Coastal path.  I am also hoping to revisit two walks I first did 45 years ago , the ever popular  Lyke Wake Walk and the close by Samaritan  Way.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 22:20:43, 03/01/18 »
I'd never heard of the Samaritan way, so googled it, it looks nice.  Are you supposed to do it in a oner like the Lyke Wake Walk, or can you take a couple (or in my case mebbe 3 as the LDWA website says it's challenging) of days over it.  Any idea why it's called that?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:37:24, 03/01/18 »
I've been planning lots of new walks in Sussex and a few over the border in Kent so I'll choose from them as the fancy takes me.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:48:52, 03/01/18 »
HI Island plodder. When I first did it as a sponsored walk we started at 3 in the morning after a salubrious evening in the pub followed by a two hours kip in the back of a transit. I think now it will be a two day walk with a decent nights sleep before, during and after. I believe, but may be totally wrong that it was first walked by a group seeking sponsorship for The Samaritans Organisation. I also have no idea whether it is still as popular as it was then. My main memory is the view from the hills above Guisborough looking over the hell hole that was industrial Teesside as the sun rose, steam, smoke and flames. Industrial filth on a huge scale.
« Last Edit: 09:13:45, 04/01/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 00:04:00, 04/01/18 »
Off-topic posts removed.

Although it is not against the forum rules it is bad forum etiquette to go extensively off-topic and ramble on about unrelated things and so spoil the topic for others. Please report any topics that need tidying up.

If anyone finds a particular poster irritating you can always add them to your ignore list in your profile.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 06:43:41, 04/01/18 »
Wow, Chris is still alive  ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:35:02, 04/01/18 »
2017 was a good year for me, discovered more about the falsehoods and outright lies landowners try to fob us off about access to our countryside. I also discovered an interesting reason why landowners manage to dupe the professional farmer into believing their fantasies.

Sadly this was done in a much reduced walking timetable,

So 2018 expand on the former and improve the latter,
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

harry_keogh

« Reply #39 on: 11:24:57, 08/01/18 »
I've made so many plans already that I think it's going to cover 2019 and beyond too! Would be great if I could get the Cairngorm 4000s done, and also the Etherow Watershed. Would also be great to significantly add to my Wainwright tally. Would like to get the Wharfedale 3 Peaks done, and it would be nice to have another crack at the Welsh 3000s but this time north to south. Lots of routes plotted that I still have to do in the Dark Peak and a few clasic mountains still not done yet in Snowdonia. Would also like to get out with my 3 year old on weekends and get him starting his trig bagging nice and early :)

rambling minster

« Reply #40 on: 12:34:46, 08/01/18 »
Planning to do the Rum Cuillin circuit in September, if my dodgy soles and ankles hold out

Also heading to Okehampton in Dartmoor for a few day's pootling in the spring

Wouldn't mind a tour of the Outer Hebrides too

hope you all have a good year of walking
« Last Edit: 13:22:22, 08/01/18 by rambling minster »

RogerA

« Reply #41 on: 15:11:12, 08/01/18 »
I'm going to finish doing all the National Forest footpaths which are local to me http://www.nationalforest.org/document/walks.php

After doing Snowdon up Pyg down miners then up and down Llanberis last year I'm hoping to do the Watkins & Snowdon Ranger routes this year.

I'm also back to Cornwall for the summer so will do / redo some of the coast path most likely the south coast around St Austell

I'd also like to do something a bit bigger and new to me so maybe Scarfell over a weekend or I might take a week in Scotland around easter but no idea where yet.

Mostly though I'm going to try (after a very lethargic Christmas break) to try and get the momentum of daily walks and weekend hikes going again to lose a few more pounds or at least not regain the weight I lost last year.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:43:28, 09/01/18 »
No idea as yet. Need to get thinking. I was looking at the Greater Ridgeway although I am not sure if it is seen as a single walk these days - different from my usual stuff. Or the Southern Upland Way; although I fancy being able to rock up at a few pubs on an evening. Havent done the Pembrokeshire. Will probably throw in a C2C having not done it for 5 years.....

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:05:45, 10/01/18 »
Basically, just get back into walking regularly now we've retired our B&B. VERY out of practice. Have a week in Shropshire followed by a week in the Yorkshire Dales booked for the summer so want to get lots of local walking done before that. Had though of doing a long distance one later in the year but haven't made any plans. We were knocked for six by the flu virus and that kept us indoors for over a month recently and Mr WHW still not properly recovered.
Might rejoin Ramblers or a local walking group to get more momentum.
~
Sue

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:48:23, 10/01/18 »
Hoping to finish off the Wainwrights - I've still got 55 to go.

Just booked a week in Samoens in the French alps at the end of June for a week of Alpine walking with two friends.  Hoping to get up Mont Buet at some point of the week.  We are referring to it as a training camp  :)  .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy