Author Topic: WALKING POLES  (Read 5216 times)

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: WALKING POLES
« Reply #30 on: 16:50:59, 19/02/18 »
I have a pair of fairly cheap Lekis. I find them invaluable to protect the knees on steep descents and I find they help the back on steep ascents (I carry too much stuff!). I never use them on the flat, especially on Tarmac as the tapping would drive me bonkers.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:23:31, 19/02/18 »
I have a pair of fairly cheap Lekis. I find them invaluable to protect the knees on steep descents and I find they help the back on steep ascents (I carry too much stuff!). I never use them on the flat, especially on Tarmac as the tapping would drive me bonkers.
Put  rubber tips on them. I have them on mine and only remove them for wet rock. Stops the tips sticking into the grass as well so you get get a proper drive off them.
Solvitur Ambulando

mow1701

« Reply #32 on: 21:53:47, 19/02/18 »
The cheap(budget) ones do the jobs just as well as expensive ones. On a day hike I don’t think the weight is important. I tend to use them backpacking because of the extra weight I’m carrying or walking in snow when on a day hike.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 23:59:51, 19/02/18 »
Put  rubber tips on them. I have them on mine and only remove them for wet rock. Stops the tips sticking into the grass as well so you get get a proper drive off them.

Tried that. Lost them. Tried again. Lost them. Gave up!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:13:17, 20/02/18 »

Tried that. Lost them. Tried again. Lost them. Gave up!
Must try harder!

Actually I have lost 2 tips to peat bogs in the last 6 years. The secret is to buy tips that fit. The cheapo ones with the flat bases that are found in most outdoor stores are no good, they skid on grass, come off easily and wear out quickly. I use Leki tips or equivalent; they are rounded at the bottom and have a decent tread. They also take longer to wear out.
Solvitur Ambulando

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #35 on: 01:03:20, 24/02/18 »
I'm one of those people who always use their poles.

I noticed a massive difference in effort when walking with poles. As I tend not to slow down uphill I used to get out of breath and sweat more going uphill, but with poles I don't. They probably wouldn't make much difference on flat but they definitely do on gradient, whether it's up or down. I just keep using them on flat because I find it annoying putting them away and getting them out.

Mine are just cheap and cheerful as it's all I could afford at the time. I can't even remember what brand they are. I didn't and don't care.
My wife finds they help with her back pain when hiking too, so she regularly pinches them. Need to get her and the kids their own poles.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:06:34, 24/02/18 »
I'm one of those people who always use their poles
Mine are just cheap and cheerful as it's all I could afford at the time. I can't even remember what brand they are. I didn't and don't care.
My wife finds they help with her back pain when hiking too, so she regularly pinches them. Need to get her and the kids their own poles.
Funny you say that. For the first time for years, on Tuesday I went for a decent walk without my poles. I had awful lower back pain for the rest of the day lasting well into the evening. I have 2 trips since on Thursday and Friday with poles and without problems.
Solvitur Ambulando

Maggot

« Reply #37 on: 07:52:22, 26/02/18 »
I actually stumbled across this forum looking up info on walking poles!

I snapped my achilles (good job, there was a 2cm gap between the ends) last summer, and boy is it a long rehab.  Walking is now firmly back on the cards, and I am up to 10km+ again.  Because of the mess I am in after the achilles my gait and bio-mechanics are all a bit of a to-do, and in the local charity shop at the weekend there was a nice pair of Leki walking poles for a fiver  O0   Well it would have been rude not to eh?

So now I have to give them a go and see if I can get used to them, which is as much a mind shift as anything because (if I am honest) I may have slightly sneered at them before all this  :-[ 

nesty

« Reply #38 on: 16:23:11, 04/03/18 »
The cheap(budget) ones do the jobs just as well as expensive ones. On a day hike I don’t think the weight is important. I tend to use them backpacking because of the extra weight I’m carrying or walking in snow when on a day hike.

Ditto.  I got a pair of new Karrimor anti-shock carbons for £28 from ebay. Sports direct did them for a bit more. They do what I need them to do!

Flanners

« Reply #39 on: 17:23:02, 04/03/18 »
I have some collapsable/quick lock carbon ones from Amazon and they are great even have cork grips, used them walking in Corfu in October and recently due to the snow and today the muddy thaw, they are without doubt brilliant for rocky mountain type paths and slippery undulating downhill surfaces. Wish I had bought them years ago.

Wild camping with a larger heavier rucksack I always use them to take the weight off my knees.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultralight-Trekking-3-Section-Telescopic-Walking/dp/B06XSBJJQG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520184145&sr=8-4&keywords=carbon+trekking+pole&dpID=41KrxmjbBcL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch [nofollow]

£33 delivered!

Marsden Moor

« Reply #40 on: 17:17:40, 10/03/18 »
Love mine and won’t go walking without them now, tend to find il stumble or fall over a lot without them and won’t use them with straps around my wrists as prefer to hold them in my palm, feel happier this way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy