Author Topic: On my walk today - Proof that Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman  (Read 1151 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Today's walk;

http://peakwalking.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/upton-badsworth-east-hardwick.html

A mystery and an unusual gravestone...and a rant about weather forecasts.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Stube

• Veteran Member
Strictly speaking Robin Hood was a Hallamshire Lad - a now defunct county that roughly covered south Yorkshire and north Derbyshire.

Locksley or Loxley is now a Sheffield suburb. Little John is buried in Hathersage or Grindleford churchyard - I forget which! His  bow hung in the church for many years until the local lord of the manor took it for safe keeping in the 18th century.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Little John is buried in Hathersage or Grindleford churchyard - I forget which!
Hathersage.

Very much home turf for me, fell out of many trees in Loxely woods as a kid.

pleb

• Veteran Member
Yes I have seen the blue plaque on my brockadale visits.......not sure how true it all is.
Been past the last church many times too............looks well kept.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

RogerA

surely : Strictly speaking Robin Hood was... erm a fictional character ???
(unless I'm completely missing something)

btw I think Kevin Costner was born in California (or at least judging from his accent in Prince of Theives)

Stube

• Veteran Member
Oh dear youngsters - everyone knows that the best film Robin Hood is the Australian Errol Flynn.  O0 The Costner film is a travesty on so many levels. 

The historical tales are based on Robert Hode who was declared outlaw in the thirteenth century. He did rob travellers on the Great North Road between Pontefract and Doncaster.

The precise truth is difficult to determine because of the number of Robert/Robyn Ho(o)d(e)s in the records. Most have some elements of the legend.

In the Fifties the Sheffield Education Authority issued a substantial book on local history to all junior school children as a standard text.  It had a chapter on the legend and how it fitted into the local landscape where references abound.

Tin

Pretty sure if Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman he wouldn't have given any money away. ;)

Edit: Those sticks in the field are very odd, I hope somebody here knows what they are and their purpose.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy