Author Topic: TR Wild camp below Stone Arthur Sat 24 to Sun 25 Feb 18  (Read 2743 times)

April

• Veteran Member
On Saturday before we got the bus to Grasmere we called in to Mrs F's Fine Food Emporium in Keswick for coffee. Mrs F's were supportive of the Zip Off campaign so we wanted to thank them and give them some custom, along with the other businesses who were against the zip wire. Keswick Boot Company have also been supportive of Zip Off. Mrs F's is a lovely coffee shop, full of mismatched furniture and decorated with old trinkets, an Aladdin's cave! We had some coffee then went for our bus. We will go again next week and treat ourselves to some cake  :) We also liked the lovely sign on the door that said everyone was welcome.

http://mrsfskeswick.co.uk/

I wasn't feeling well, I've had a virus all week and have been coughing for England. Once at Grasmere we started going up Stone Arthur,  it was after 12 by the time we started walking. I couldn't breathe properly going up and I kept on stopping, my lungs felt like they were on fire.

On the ascent of Stone Arthur

We stopped for our lunch below the summit failing to find somewhere out of the bitter wind. We didn't stop for long and once on the summit the wind was stronger.

Beefy on Stone Arthur's summit

Hazy view westward from Stone Arthur

Heron Pike from Stone Arthur

We'd planned to go over Great Rigg, Heron Pike and  Nab Scar before finding a pitch but I had nothing left in me. Time was getting on too, I had been really slow on the way up. We climbed up the ridge toward Great Rigg for a while trying to find a pitch out of the wind. We ended up dropping down to Brackenwife Knotts below Stone Arthur before we found somewhere.

MSR pitched below Stone Arthur

Seat Sandal, Grisedale Hause and Fairfield

The MSR with Helm Crag seen behind

The views were still very hazy westward. We got some water to filter from a nearby stream and had our tea. It was freezing in the wind so we were in the tent in our sleeping bags by 5!

Grasmere from our pitch

The MSR with Stone Arthur's summit seen above

The sun set

It wasn't a great sunset the sun was too bright until it went behind Harrison Stickle

We got a bit of an orange glow

We had some wine and got in our bags again. The weather was  set to drop overnight to minus 2 or 3 so we'd come prepared for the cold. Day 1 was Grasmere Swan Hotel - Stone Arthur - Rigg Crags - Brackenwife Knotts. 5.6km with 501m ascent

Frost on the MSR in the morning

It had been really cold overnight, we were both warm enough in our bags, except for my feet which were cold. I had put 3 pairs of socks on as well  :o

Helm Crag in the morning sun

We started to feel the cold while we had our breakfast, it was too cold for it to be enjoyable for me. We packed our stuff away saying we would wait for warmer weather before we came out camping again. When we say warmer, we mean at least plus 3  ;)

Toward the Coniston Fells

I felt really poorly with the virus so we didn't do a long walk. We dropped down Brackenwife Knotts to Grasmere and we walked to White Moss to get the bus. Day 2 was Brackenwife Knotts - Mill Bridge - Grasmere - Pennyrock Wood - White Moss 7.5km with 30m ascent. I'm still feeling dreadful I don't think the freezing air in my lungs helped very much  :(
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp below Stone Arthur Sat 24 to Sun 25 Feb 18
« Reply #1 on: 17:53:44, 28/02/18 »
Some lovely pics Ape  O0
It was rather cold in that wind, but it was nice to be out
Wild camping again, those stars were tremendous 8)
Hope ya get better soon, think I've got the virus now  :(
Fancy a wc this weekend then?  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:58:58, 28/02/18 »
No wild camping for me this weekend. I would like to try some of the cake in Mrs F's instead. Sticky Toffee or Lemon Curd or Carrot Cake or Chocolate Fudge, I can't decide  :-\
Hate will never win

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:52:47, 28/02/18 »
No wild camping for me this weekend. I would like to try some of the cake in Mrs F's instead. Sticky Toffee or Lemon Curd or Carrot Cake or Chocolate Fudge, I can't decide  :-\

One of each  ;D . Should work wonders for your cough.

I've had flu for the past week and am joining you in coughing for England  :( . Not nice.

Thanks for the cheering TR. The sunshine betrays how cold it was. Hope you feel better soon.

These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:01:16, 28/02/18 »
Thanks lostme1 and I hope you feel better soon too  :)
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:56:52, 28/02/18 »
Lovely to see the sunshine and blue skies    :)

Look after yourself April and enjoy Mrs F's cakes!    :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:57:59, 28/02/18 »
Lovely pictures. Sorry to hear that you are under the weather, keep taking the medicinal wine.

photonut

« Reply #7 on: 20:17:11, 28/02/18 »
Awesome pics!!!

A shame about you getting this horrid virus but it seems like you made the most of the good weather.  Where did that go? ??? ?

I shall be in Keswick myself this weekend (hopefully) so I shall make a B line for Mrs F's Fine Food Emporium.... it has to be the Chocolate Fudge cake!!!

I hope you both get well very soon

Cheers
Lee

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:02:27, 28/02/18 »
Sorry to hear the bug spoilt your walk April  :(  but you still took some lovely photos  O0

Hope you feel better soon but eat plenty of cake and drink plenty of wine to boost your resistance  :D
Regards Keith

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:13:21, 28/02/18 »
Most of Joe public take to their beds and feel sorry for themselves with a virus - you guys go for a wild camp in the freezing cold - big respect from me  O0 . And stunning piccies - I walked the [censored]-ups and knott and can testify it was chilly on Saturday.

Hope you feel better soon, April.

Paul

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:14:45, 28/02/18 »
The censored word above is another word for a male hen  ::)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:05:01, 28/02/18 »
Thanks everyone  :) I've had no wine since Saturday but I never do drink any during the week. Ridge, I will try to make myself better by drinking plenty on Friday  :D Welsh Rambler I will try lots of cake on Saturday if the wine doesn't help  :)

Pdstsp I didn't feel that bad until I started climbing, I couldn't get enough air in and was gulping in freezing cold air. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we should have done a granddad walk somewhere  ;)
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:29:41, 01/03/18 »
Fantastic photos, April - really enjoyed the TR.  O0   

The views from Stone Arthur look to be superb, especially under that beautiful blue sky. We were in Wales last weekend and there was quite a bit of haze there too, despite the lovely weather generally.

Hope you feel better soon, wine and cake surely can't fail?  ;)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:21:46, 01/03/18 »
Getting the deja vu again.......... ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:49:34, 03/03/18 »
Lovely pics and write up April  :)   Hope you're feeling better soon  O0   This chest/cough/cold virus thing has smit just about everyone I know.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy