Author Topic: 6 dales challenge - pure challenge  (Read 11508 times)

Brumptk

6 dales challenge - pure challenge
« on: 08:18:49, 08/04/18 »
Hi.

I has paid and signed up to do the six dales challenge in the Peak District in June with a company called Pure Challenge.

This company has now gone bust!

Angry to say the least!!

That aside does anyone know of this circular 27 mile challenge and if it can be achieved without the help of Marshalls etc

We are good walkers but not the best of navigators.

Katie

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: 6 dales challenge - pure challenge
« Reply #1 on: 10:36:17, 08/04/18 »
Having successfully done some organised challenge walks, I would suggest it is sensible to make provision for back-up at strategic locations, either to facilitate evacuation and/or to supply provisions so you do not have to carry so much. All the walks of this type I have done have resulted in someone baling out part way round. Back-up also provides an insurance should the weather turn so bad as to present risk.

If you have no back-up, you are effectively saying you will rely on the Mountain Rescue Team if something goes wrong!

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #2 on: 13:05:46, 08/04/18 »
https://www.walkingenglishman.com/peakdistrict14.html

If you're all pretty confident walkers then there are plenty of places to cut the walk short if something doesn't go to plan.

It is a marathon length challenge but in a fantastic area.

I've walked most of this area

I'm sure if you asked someone might want to do the walk with you that could get you round, don't give up now because the area is beautiful and you can get some great cheese in Hartington!!

Gad
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #3 on: 13:10:13, 08/04/18 »
Alternatively blend in with this lot in September -

http://sixdales.co.uk/ _ Ignore this is another area

Gad

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:42:22, 08/04/18 »

That aside does anyone know of this circular 27 mile challenge and if it can be achieved without the help of Marshalls etc

We are good walkers but not the best of navigators.

Katie

Its just a routine day walk with a fancy name to make it sound tough.I started walking in that area when I was a kid and its very easy terrain,especially if you are mainly walking in the valleys.There is little chance of mist in June and with the help of a decent map route finding should be straight forward.Allow around 12 hours or more.

als31

« Reply #5 on: 16:37:26, 09/04/18 »
Hi Katie,

We had also signed up for the 6 Dales with Pure Challenge. I only found out about the company via a friend who is doing the Manchester canal walk on 21st April. That walk is still going ahead just without the assistance of PC. I'm hoping that something similar can happen for the 6 Dales. If enough of us turn up on the day it should still be a good event.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:43:10, 09/04/18 »
If you are looking for a decent marshalled walk try this one
http://www.yomp.org/
I have done it a couple of times, never broke 6:30 hrs. Navigation is not a problem normally and it is covered by the Kirkby Stephen MRT
« Last Edit: 17:52:51, 09/04/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Hullwalker

« Reply #7 on: 10:16:19, 10/04/18 »
Hi
I did the Six dales walk with Pure Challenge last year.
The walk is for the most part over steady ground  through secluded dales, pretty villages and alongside streams with an abundance of wildlife.
There are some public toilets along the way and although it was well signposted by Pure Challenge with a decent map shouldn't find any problems to navigate yourself. 
The ' walking englishman'  website of this walk is almost identical to the route we did except we followed Weaddow Lane from Middleton to Dale End.
I clocked it exactly 28 miles and took me 9 hours excluding breaks.
Go ahead and do the walk, you won't be disappointed  O0

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:48:09, 12/04/18 »
There is also the Durham Dales Challenge, which is 30 miles in 12 hours with checkpoints every 5 miles with refreshments and medics/marshals walking the course on the 23rd of June.

Again a very pretty route.

Peakyste

« Reply #9 on: 19:04:39, 13/04/18 »
I also have paid to do 6 dales challenge. But im not only angry i want to get hold of these people who think they can go around ripping people off. Any one know who these people are ? Names and location would be greatly appreciated.

Zero Navigation Skills

« Reply #10 on: 13:48:17, 23/04/18 »
Hi my sister and I are also signed up for the six dales challenge this June we’ve booked b&b for two nights and are gutted it’s no longer organised but if there are people still doing it we would like to join as our Navigation Skills are rubbish 😩😩😩🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:54:22, 23/04/18 »
Its just a routine day walk with a fancy name to make it sound tough.I started walking in that area when I was a kid and its very easy terrain,especially if you are mainly walking in the valleys.There is little chance of mist in June and with the help of a decent map route finding should be straight forward.Allow around 12 hours or more.

It is.

But 26 miles in an area where the guys may never have walked before...with less than razor sharp navigation skills...I can't see it being much fun trying to knock it off in one day on a first visit.

If I was planning to do it myself, I'd probably break route down into 3 to 6 sections, do the route in those sections first over several visits to area, then maybe later..knowing the "scouting" has resolved any potential "navigational" snags, do the whole route in a long day. (Well probably not..I suspect I'll never walk that sort of distance in a day these days.)

Sounds cautious. But 26 miles is a darn long day for anybody except an "ultra-walker"...and those 10 minutes spent looking at a map because not sure, and the odd "half mile wander off route"..all add up. And..of course..visiting that area half a dozen times, rather than once is a path of great wisdom.
« Last Edit: 18:58:12, 23/04/18 by pauldawes »

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #12 on: 19:11:46, 23/04/18 »
Openly available information - Companies House website.

Company search

Still active but that doesn't mean you will get your money back

Good luck

Gad

Peakyste

« Reply #13 on: 20:47:06, 23/04/18 »
Yes im aware of companys house info i know their names . I was more interested if anybody knew them personally on here as they must of done tons of walks in the past. If they think they can get away with this then they are in for a shock .
I plan on doing the walk anyway. I know the area and am an experienced walker.
Anybody who was planning to do it can join n me feel free.
As for pure challenge, if they are man enough come and meet me also and let’s discuss why u rip people off. Id love to see you

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #14 on: 21:17:48, 23/04/18 »
Can I ask how much it cost to go on the Dales Challenge with an organisation like this?

At least their website is now showing that they have ceased trading - not really any comfort to yourself and others!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy