Author Topic: Cable cars to get up to the Whinlatter Centre?  (Read 2639 times)

April

• Veteran Member
I bet the good people of Thornthwaite are horrified at the thought of this.

Scroll down to read the article on the local news from 11 days ago, I forgot to post it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-cumbria-44080296
Hate will never win

photonut

Re: Cable cars to get up to the Whinlatter Centre?
« Reply #1 on: 09:22:23, 30/05/18 »
Oh good grief... what ever next? :(

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:07:53, 30/05/18 »
Oh good grief... what ever next? :(
Disneyland  :-\
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:13:25, 30/05/18 »
I've just gone back to check its not an April Fool's day joke, but it isn't! Mad.  It's as if they think the Lakes is just a cash cow to be exploited - unbelievable. :-\

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 18:17:36, 30/05/18 »
Disneyland  :-\

Best not tempt fate Beefy  :(

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:23:32, 30/05/18 »
It is interesting the LDNP want to discourage use of private cars. They must be going to refuse the Honister Zip Wire if that really is true.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:36:54, 30/05/18 »
Tricky one  not sure what to think.  A low level gondola run through what is a largely artificial forest could reduce traffic through the pass and would not be that intrusive if it ran through the trees rather than above them.  On the downside, it would encourage even more mountain bikers through the forest and they seem to be incapable of doing it quietly or discreetly.
I have been happy to use gondolas and chairlifts abroad to gain access to high ground to go hiking; in fact the availability of such lifts features in the planning of my foreign walking holidays these days. It would be hypocritical for me to appreciate one and object to the other.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:16:57, 31/05/18 »
Ninthace - I'm not sure I agree with your analogy with lifts abroad.  Those lifts are there, and whether you use them or not is a matter for you - I do the same sometimes when walking in the alps.  However, the Whinlatter plan is a new development.  Whenever I'm in the alps, winter or summer I am often shocked by the scarring of the landscape, and as a family we often have the conversation about what would happen if there was no ski industry yet, but someone turned up in the alps and said that they were going to develop the industry, but that it would change the landscape - would it get the go ahead? Not sure I know the answer to that.

I certainly don't feel hypocritical using one and being against another - (perhaps I should, though).

I don't think there is an easy answer to improving access in the Lakes, and Braithwaite can be very difficult to get through at busy times, but I don't think this is the answer - as stated, this is a man made forest, but again this means that it is likely that the forest will be managed, even cropped, leaving the gondola sitting in full view.  Presumably, also, users of the gondola are going to want a view of the fells rather than of trees?

The other point is cost - these things cost an awful lot of money to build and so are going to need a lot of paying users to make it economically viable - how much development at Whinlatter itself is going to be necessary to make people stump up the cash to use this, and what impact will that have on the local environment?   

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:39:38, 31/05/18 »
The LDNP are wanting to create "The Whinlatter Mountain Centre" No doubt complete with Richard Leafe's vision of having a large zip wire somewhere in the Lake District. The distance from Ladstock to the Whinlatter Centre isn't that far, a mile and a half. People can walk that distance. No need for cable cars at all, unlike the Alps, I have to disagree with you too Ninthace, these cable cars or gondolas are not something the Lake District should be thinking about. The number of obese people is increasing in this country, let them walk a mile and a half! There is a lovely footpath that goes by Ladstock and up to Whinlatter, I would hate to see this ruined by cable cars going up above it.

There was an article in the Keswick Reminder posted on Zip Off's facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/zipoffThirlmere/photos/a.1443291392418173.1073741830.1434664669947512/1683043658442944/?type=3

An interesting but disturbing read. I will be in support of the locals of Thornthwaite in their fight against this, I would assume most of the people who live in this idyllic hamlet will not want it.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy