Author Topic: A survey for my OCR GCSE (9-1) D&T Non-Examined Assessment  (Read 1415 times)

DT_GCSE_2018_survey

Hello, I am conducting a survey to see the needs and wants of my primary consumers, so I can know what features my product should have.My GCSE assessment for DT is to design a product that makes physical recreation easier. My idea is a lightweight camping chair that can be extended into a camping bench. The purpose of the product is to make it possible to have a product that can be carried around easily that allows multiple people to be seated on camping and hiking trips.
I would like to ask any avid and regular hikers to complete my survey in the comments of this forums. 
The Survey(as used by the average hiker)-
1.How useful would the product be on hiking or trekking trips?
2.How big should the product be?
3.How would the product be carried?
4.What surfaces would the product be used on?
5.What environments would the product be taken to?
6.What are specific needs of the product?
7.What are specific wants for the product?

Thank you for doing my survey.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
It's that time of year again  ::) ::)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Mel?  ;D

If I were hiking or hiking to camp I would not be carrying any sort of chair let alone one that several people could use. I can think of better things to put in my rucksack  O0

Sorry, not very helpful am I?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Nope, not me  :o

I'm too busy buying a genuine fake passport on the other topic and trying to see clearly now the 4th of May has gone ...

... or something.

Nope.  I've turned over a new leaf.  However, the old me would have put ....

1.How useful would the product be on hiking or trekking trips?  Not very useful

2.How big should the product be? Big enough to seat all the required bottoms on it

3.How would the product be carried?  Above the ground

4.What surfaces would the product be used on?  Horizontal ones

5.What environments would the product be taken to?  Eh?

6.What are specific needs of the product? To be sit-able on

7.What are specific wants for the product?  For it to spew out crisp £20 on demand, cook me my meals and pander to my every whim

[size=0px]

wombat

1) no use at all
2)small enough not to be seen
3)wouldn't be
4)none
5)none
6)not needed
7)not wanted
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Hi

Can we remember that the topic starter is probably 15.

I wouldn't carry a chair but there are members of the forum who do when they go wild camping, so this is not a stupid question.

Lots of people carry a sit mat but I can see the advantage of having a back to lean on. You can generally find somewhere to sit so don't worry about the height of the legs too much. One problem will be that the ground is almost always uneven to various degrees.

Skip

• Veteran Member
... spew out crisp £20 on demand, cook me my meals and pander to my every whim...
Sounds like the ideal girlfriend

I'll get my coat ...
Skip

beefy

• Veteran Member
Hello, I am conducting a survey to see the needs and wants of my primary consumers, so I can know what features my product should have.My GCSE assessment for DT is to design a product that makes physical recreation easier. My idea is a lightweight camping chair that can be extended into a camping bench. The purpose of the product is to make it possible to have a product that can be carried around easily that allows multiple people to be seated on camping and hiking trips.
I would like to ask any avid and regular hikers to complete my survey in the comments of this forums. 
The Survey(as used by the average hiker)-
1.How useful would the product be on hiking or trekking trips?
2.How big should the product be?
3.How would the product be carried?
4.What surfaces would the product be used on?
5.What environments would the product be taken to?
6.What are specific needs of the product?
7.What are specific wants for the product?

Thank you for doing my survey.
April and I use lightweight chairs when out walking, we even use them as back supports inside the tent,
1 we find them very useful, they support the back and make our lunch stops more comfortable, and enjoyable, especially when the ground is wet, they also give some protection from ticks because only our feet are on the ground

2  the smaller and lighter the better, without compromising comfort

3 in a rucksack

4  a range of surfaces,  soft muddy ground where large feet would stop the chair sinking in the ground, uneven surfaces would benefit from adjustable legs

5 all outdoor environments

6 comfort, lightweight, packable

7 easy assembly, and packing away

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Murphy

Hello there,

Please do not be offended by unhelpful comments and I hope you do well and obtain all the information you need for your GCSE project - I remember when my own children were researching projects for school.

Here are my responses:
1.  [size=0px] Generally lightweight chairs are very useful, but the word lightweight is key.  For extreme lightweight enthusiasts probably not so useful.    [size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]2.  Needs to small and as light as possible whilst being sturdy enough.  [size=0px][size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]3.  In or attached to  a rucksack [size=0px][size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]4.  Varying surfaces and I agree with Beefy -  " a range of surfaces,  soft muddy ground where large feet would stop the chair sinking in the ground, uneven surfaces would benefit from adjustable legs"  [size=0px][size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]5. Outdoors   [size=0px][size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]6.  Strong whilst being light, and compact - not taking up too much room in or on rucksack.  [size=0px][size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]7.  Simple to use.  
[size=0px]

[size=0px]Good luck with your project.  

jimbob

• Veteran Member
1. Never used, I always consider weight  and leave every extra ounce at home.2. As light as possibel and quite small in size3. In a rucksack, never outside as it would compromise the raincover etc.4. Marshy moorland, soft riverbanks, hard g uneven ground, therefore adapatable legs would be useful, and maybe adapted to take standard walking pole tips and cups.5. Anything possible outdoors.6. Comfort,  very small packdown size, lightness. (Think carbon fibre rod rather than steel rod, both for suspension and strength)7. size, ease of use most important weight.
Good luck with your exam.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Forget the chair, design a lightweight snap on/off clothes line to fit on the back of my rucksack please.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

1.How useful would the product be on hiking or trekking trips?  No use at all to me; I would not for a minute consider carrying any kind of chair whilst backpacking. Fine for 'boot of the car' camping, maybe. A better product would be a frame rucksack that can double as a seat, but even then I would not consider it.

2.How big should the product be? As small and light as is practicable.

3.How would the product be carried?  I'm guessing strapped to the outside of a rucksack?

4.What surfaces would the product be used on?  Level ground

5.What environments would the product be taken to?  I could only envisage such a product being used in benign environments.

6.What are specific needs of the product? Tough, lightweight, comfortable, water resistant

7.What are specific wants for the product?  See 6 above.

Sorry to sound negative, but this is a product that would not interest me in the slightest.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
Forget the chair, design a lightweight snap on/off clothes line to fit on the back of my rucksack please.

Is something like this what you mean?

April

• Veteran Member
1.How useful would the product be on hiking or trekking trips?  I take a lightweight chair when I go walking and wild camping. I don't think the multi person chair/bench would work unless it was used for car camping. The multi person chair/bench would be too heavy and bulky.

2.How big should the product be? Big enough to be comfortable but must be under 800g and fold up to fit in a rucksack.

3.How would the product be carried?  In a rucksack if taking it on a walk or wild camp, if car camping this isn't relevant.

4.What surfaces would the product be used on?  Anything from grass, muddy ground, forest roads, rocks

5.What environments would the product be taken to?  Outdoors and also inside the tent

6.What are specific needs of the product? Comfortable, a good back support in the tent, lightweight

7.What are specific wants for the product?  A solo chair, multi person wouldn't work inside a tent, lightweight, easy to assemble and disassemble

There is a market for these chairs, lots of people do use them now there are lightweight options out there. I certainly wouldn't wild camp without my chair, it makes life inside (or outside) the tent much more comfortable. Our chairs are about 800g (I think, might be a bit less) and well worth carrying the extra weight for the comfort they provide. We did try out a Helinox chair that was lighter in weight but it wasn't very comfortable, we would rather not have that particular chair and sit on the floor!

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy