Author Topic: Bryn Cader Faner COULD DO WITH WAYMARKING !!!  (Read 6250 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Bryn Cader Faner COULD DO WITH WAYMARKING !!!
« on: 19:43:58, 01/07/18 »
At last, i threw caution to the savage heat, and went in search for the elusive Bryn Cader Faner Bronze age cairn and stone circle, somewhere in the wilds and desolation of the Northern Rhinogs.
Due to the questionable single track road that leads to the isolated carpark, i decided to leave my car some way back in the village of Talsarnau, and decided to do a long march into the wilds of this part of Snowdonia.
In hindsight, it was the wisest move, as a large farm vehicle was moving cows in an upper farm, and with very few places to pull in, it would have been almost impossible for the lorry to pass me.

After a good four mile walk, in sweltering conditions of near 29C, i arrived at the carpark, and checked my map to see the correct route.

On the map, the distance did not look far, around two miles or so, so eventually locating the Ardudwy Way marker posts, i walked into some frightfully remote countryside, and not a single sign indicating i was going in the right direction to this ancient monument.

According to my watch, from the carpark, nearly an hour had gone past, and still no sign of BCV, should i turn back ?, had i taken a wrong turning ?,  well i continued for another ten minutes, and suddenly on the horizon, there it was.

Gosh it looked majestic, and to think our squaddies used it for target practice during the war, destroying according to Francis Lynch, the Gwynedd archaeologist, around twelve of the small upright stones.

By now there was a slight breeze, but it was still hellish hot, with a sun beating down on my body, akin to the Suns anvil, in the Lawrence of Arabia movie. :P

ON reaching my car, which was parked in the shade, the temperature was still reading 28C, so i must have been walking in heat above 30C. 8)

The vistas were incredible, as was the very interesting glacial deposits making up the famous Harlech Dome.

Was the walk worth it.

Very much so.

In poor visibility, with mist, locating this incredible monument would be very demanding, as the footpaths are poor, and with very questionable distances involved, it may be

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Bryn Cader Faner COULD DO WITH WAYMARKING !!!
« Reply #1 on: 20:14:03, 01/07/18 »
One day, you need to take some photos so that we can see how lovely these walks are.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:16:46, 01/07/18 »
I took some stunners this afternoon, but the software i was using last year, has now expired, and they want a cash payment to upgrade.
If anyone out there can recommend a totally free to use, and easy to download bit of software for an Apple Mac, i would very very grateful.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:01:33, 02/07/18 »
I took some stunners this afternoon, but the software i was using last year, has now expired, and they want a cash payment to upgrade.
If anyone out there can recommend a totally free to use, and easy to download bit of software for an Apple Mac, i would very very grateful.

If you go to the App Store and search 'photo' you'll see dozens of free photo apps for Mac.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:00:20, 02/07/18 »

Northern Rhinogs amongst my favourite hills in N.Wales, but I've never approached from Talsarnau before; beautiful Cwm Bychan being my preferred route in.

Photos would be much appreciated if you can get the tech sorted.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:31:46, 02/07/18 »
This has been on my to do list for a while. I’m staying in Nantlle this coming weekend so may tick it off my list.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:53:39, 02/07/18 »
Photos would be much appreciated if you can get the tech sorted.

You may wait a while, we've been promised photos of his 'walks' for years  ;) 
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:06:19, 02/07/18 »
It indeed may take some time, as the size of my photographic files are so large, that it will not allow me to send most of them via email or as an attachment.
All my photographs are taken in their RAW format, using the maximum number of pixels, and their usually too large to send in attachments online.
Ive failed miserably trying to send several photographs to a friend via a Gmail account, their simply too large to download.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:47:14, 02/07/18 »
What make of camera do you use?

Go to their website and (probably under 'support') download the free RAW converter for your camera.

I also take all my photos in RAW format and save them that way. It takes me seconds to convert to JPEG any that I want to post on here or Flickr for example.
« Last Edit: 17:50:41, 02/07/18 by Glyno »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:10:16, 02/07/18 »
I use either my GoPro Hero 4 silver, or a compact Lumix LX5 for just about all my photographs.
Its the tiny dimensions of the GoPro i love, and its excellent for its size photographs and video quality, makes it the ideal camera to take into the hills.
Ive tried converting many of my RAW files into JPEG, and have experienced technical issues, especially on my Mac, most of them do not like to be transffered over due to their size.
I am sure there is an easier way of doing it, but ive never really found it necessary to convert the files over to JPEG, as its only me who gets to enjoy the photos.
« Last Edit: 18:13:33, 02/07/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:22:56, 02/07/18 »
... with a sun beating down on my body, akin to the Suns anvil, in the Lawrence of Arabia movie. :P

:D  Oh gosh. Please figure out how to upload some pics onto here!  That I've got to see  O0

On a more sensible note, if you can get your images saved as JPEG then you should be able to attach them on here.  Lots of folk have uploaded their images to their blog, Flikr or Facebook then copy/pasted the link or the put the URL for the image in the "insert image" box .  Granted, you will lose some of the quality of the image but this isn't primarily a photography forum.  Using a hosting site for the images usually automatically resizes them to allow for posting on forums.

Nice write up by the way.  It's always nice to see (hopefully, eventually) lesser walked areas  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:33:44, 02/07/18 »

Granted, you will lose some of the quality of the image but this isn't primarily a photography forum. 

Indeed; not much point in posting beyond 800x600. I use humble Paint to re-size my jpgs.

Nice write up by the way.  It's always nice to see (hopefully, eventually) lesser walked areas  :)

Glad to hear it - Orkney TRs incoming shortly!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:17:27, 03/07/18 »
That's the issue i am having with my photographs.
As i do not take a huge number of photographs, i utilise as much pixel density and image quality as my camera and memory card will allow.
In the last year, all my videos, have been recorded in 4K, and they look amazing when played back on my computer.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:27:42, 03/07/18 »
Paintbrush is the MAC equivalent of Microsoft paint.
DA just open your photo in Paintbrush then set the properties i.e. size etc in the "properties" area then save as a JPEG. That is the simplest way to shave memory for dissemination.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:54:08, 03/07/18 »
Many thanks, i might give it a go, but probably the best thing for me to do, is to do a special Rhinog walk, and shoot a few photographs at a much smaller resolution.
The walk i have in  mind, is to approach Moel Ysgyfarnogod from the Bryn Cader Vaner direction.
Its supposed to be a very easy start to the walk, and a intermediate middle section, and a downright brutal final slog to this most westerly of the Rhinog summits.

Ive yet to witness what every travel writer call "The Welsh Badlands"  but the walk just before reaching Moel Ysgyfarnogods summit and  continuing on  to Rhinog Fawr is supposed to be the toughest walking out of the Scottish Highlands.

I do not want another 30C scorcher, but as the heatwave is not going anywhere soon, and the requirement of good visibility for this walk, i may have to grin and bare it.
« Last Edit: 17:57:10, 03/07/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy