Author Topic: GRR Hook van Holland to Geneva  (Read 2798 times)

Doddy

GRR Hook van Holland to Geneva
« on: 21:21:27, 28/07/18 »
Does anyone have knowledge of where to get Dutch maps of the route or area Holland and Belgium. I have done Geneva to Nice and I am thinking of a trip in Holland and Belgium, it seems the guide book is out of print and anyway I would prefer the area maps. Downloaded maps might suffice.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: GRR Hook van Holland to Geneva
« Reply #1 on: 22:27:10, 28/07/18 »
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/maps-atlases might be a good place to start for paper maps.
Open street maps are also available. If you start here you can zoom into the maps of the Netherlands and Belgium to see how they look.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=8/51.269/3.741
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: 10:09:47, 29/07/18 »
Thanks ninthace.

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: 16:56:57, 20/08/18 »

Just spotted the typo, that should be GR5.
I did get the Nederlands Kustpad Dutch version from piedaterr.nl.
I also needed another difficult guide to get; the Maximilianweg in Bavaria, I managed to get a copy in German, which I obtained from another Dutch company, dezwerver.nl
I do speak some German and read it better and have smattering of Dutch.
There is a GR5 Holland to Lorraine coming out from Cicerone but not until 15th Sept this year; a bit late for my needs.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:05:48, 20/08/18 »
Presume you are aware the Maximilliansweg has its own web site
http://www.maximiliansweg.de/
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #5 on: 20:31:40, 20/08/18 »

Thanks for the reminder Ninthace; I have looked at the Maximilianweg site in the past.
I have not decided which trail to do yet in September. I am looking at long range weather forecasts. I now have the guide books for the Holland and Belgium GR5 and the Maximilianweg but would like to print off some paper maps to use as well; so I am searching for those which will help me decide.
I did the Geneva to Nice section of the GR5 some years ago and just wondered what maps I took as well in case I lost the guide book- it was before my smartphone. I took only one guide book assuming I could by the second one on route.When I got to the shop planned they did not have it :-( I was directed me to another shop. When I got there is it was closed for lunch; but tantalisingly I could see the book in the window. I could have kissed the old lady when she opened up on time. It was a hitchhike to major town if I could not have purchased it at that time.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:01:24, 20/08/18 »
Probably the walk and it's associated maps are available via Viewranger.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:31:28, 23/08/18 »
Have a look at the app SityTrail. I use it for France (IGN maps) and its great, all hiking routes are clearly marked, they also do other European countries as well.

Doddy

« Reply #8 on: 11:42:25, 24/08/18 »

Looks a good site gunwharfman.Thanks

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 15:21:25, 04/09/18 »
I did get Sitytrail, I already had osMand and downloaded routes to  my phone; traildino.com is also a useful site.

Doddy

« Reply #10 on: 15:43:42, 29/09/18 »
Back after walking 160 miles  on LAW 5-1(GR5, E2). I walked mainly with the guide book I had which was in Dutch. I wish I had a pound for every time I asked if a person spoke English. As over here I always find getting in an out of Towns is difficult as the map scale is not big enough with just the odd street name. After couple of days I realised there was position fix on SityTrail, Doh; though as I was camping preserving my phone battery was needed. The Dutch campsites are very good quite after eleven, good facilities, helpful people. A lot of the walk is on cycle paths.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:32:24, 29/09/18 »
I find Dash4it pretty good, and they are very generous with their discount codes as well.
They have just about every map you would require, for the entire Uk and the whole of Europe, but its their prices i particularly like.

My last purchase from them, were two of the latest O/S maps covering most of Mid Wales, for a tenner which included delivery.

There are not many reputable companies selling brand new inclusive of delivery O/S maps for a crisp £5, and they cant be selling them at a loss, so just goes to show what mark up other companies are making.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:23:52, 29/09/18 »
I find Dash4it pretty good, and they are very generous with their discount codes as well.
They have just about every map you would require, for the entire Uk and the whole of Europe, but its their prices i particularly like.

My last purchase from them, were two of the latest O/S maps covering most of Mid Wales, for a tenner which included delivery.

There are not many reputable companies selling brand new inclusive of delivery O/S maps for a crisp £5, and they cant be selling them at a loss, so just goes to show what mark up other companies are making.

The OP asked for walking maps of Holland and Belgium.  Dash4it only have one walking map for Holland and that is a city map of Amsterdam.  They also sell a city map for Brussels.   Later on OP did say he was contemplating trails in Germany too.  Dash4it have a city map of Berlin and a 1:825,000 adventure map of Germany.  They would be useful for France as they sell the IGN series but the OP did not ask for that.

P.S.  Doddy is back from his walk DA, see the post above yours.
« Last Edit: 18:59:58, 29/09/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

astaman

« Reply #13 on: 07:22:54, 30/09/18 »
For maps in general The Map Shop is very good.

https://www.themapshop.co.uk/

For those living in Wales and the West (as they say) they have a small but well stocked shop in Upton on Severn which is a lot handier than London if you're in that part of the country. Upton is a pleasant little town for lunch and a wander on an afternoon out and on the Severn for Severn Valley walking (a pleasant but pastoral section). Their website is easily navigated too. I should add that I've not used them for nearly two years but have always found their mail order service good and they staff in the shop knowledgeable and very helpful.

Doddy

« Reply #14 on: 12:34:19, 02/10/18 »

From my other exploits in Germany, Austria and France the Europeans on long distance hikes seem use the guide books with maps. I don`t recall people having map cases with large scale maps like we often see here. They, and we when over there, do have the benefit of the marker blazes at regular intervals, junctions and turns.
My concern is miss-placing the guidebook and having to rely on the phone maps. Over there I did buy a cycle path map which would have helped me along if that had happened.
Before my phone technology I did lose my guide book when doing the Cape Wrath Trail. I missed it after 500metres must have shot out of my map case. I retraced my steps twice but in heather I could not find it; fortunately I also had OS maps I just lost the guidebook information.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy